Boy Scouts Pinewood Derby TB race

madman1892

The Boy Scouts of America is having a Pinewood Derby Car Travel bug race, to the National Jamboree in Virginia. The race starts on March 6th, and is called the "Race to 2010."

http://ww2.scouting.org/100years/100years/geocaching.aspx

Does anyone know if there is a cache, or an event cache at the Jamboree, that I need to link to, to tell the cachers out there where it needs to go?

thanks

The official text for the travel bug pages and the final location have not yet been released by National. I hope it comes soon.

The Boy Scouts of America is having a Pinewood Derby Car Travel bug race, to the National Jamboree in Virginia. The race starts on March 6th, and is called the "Race to 2010."

http://ww2.scouting.org/100years/100years/geocaching.aspx

Does anyone know if there is a cache, or an event cache at the Jamboree, that I need to link to, to tell the cachers out there where it needs to go?

thanks

You didn't give an address for the Jamboree, and it is not easily found in the link you provided, but I googled, and if the Jamboree is held at Fort A.P. Hill, then the closest cache is this one, however, it's a micro. Search out from that one, and you will find a lot of other micros, and a few caches that are a little larger.

Maybe you can ask whoever is holding the geocaching event, (if there is a geocaching event at the Jamboree, I don't see one listed on the map) if they will be placing one.

Just got off the phone with one of the organizers. They do not yet have the official wording, they hope to have that out in the next few days. They do not yet have a final destination GC#. The final location is at a military base. You wouldn't be allowed in until the jamboree starts. They are working on getting a cache set up. They should be sending me an email with updated information. When I get any updates I will post them here.

Sorry I forgot to post my updated info. Here is part of what I was emailed.

Online Posting

Name: Be sure to include the words “Race to 2010” somewhere in the name of your Travel Bug name, so we can track its progress. For example: BSA Race to 2010: Coweta District, Flint River Council or Flint River Race to 2010, Boy Scouts of America

Goal: Travel to meet as many Scouts and non-Scouts as possible. We’ll update this listing with “finish line” coordinates at a later date.

About this Item: This Travel Bug is attached to a pinewood derby car that was made by Scouts from [COUNCIL/DISTRICT/UNIT]. It is traveling across America! Please move it along, and log your Scouting memories.

Laminated Card (Could also be Geocaching.com Travel Bug Mission)

Help Scouts from [COUNCIL/DISTRICT/UNIT] in [CITY, STATE] move this pinewood derby Travel Bug® across the nation and into as many Scout and non-Scout hands as possible. This is the first ever nationwide pinewood derby race, and we want to cross the finish line! Prizes will be awarded for cars that travel the farthest, pass through the most hands, and have the most creative route, among others. Help us speed along by moving this Travel Bug. And be sure to visit our online log to tell us about your Scouting memories. [COUNCIL/DISTRICT/UNIT] provides [NUMBER] youth from the [REGION/STATE] area with a strong foundation of leadership, service, and community. Find out how to get involved with Scouting where you live! Visit www.Scouting.org.

They have also updated the info on their website.

if there is a geocaching event at the Jamboree,

There won't be a geocache event at a Jamboree since events cannot have restrictions on who attends or charge admission. Since Jamboree is restricted I can't see that being approved. As to a cache on a military base they would need the Commander's permission.

Let me know if I am breaking forum rules, but I think this fits the thread.

I am curious is there anyway to query for BSA travel bugs that are near me so I can actively help they move along. I think this is fun and exciting but to help the boys really feel involved I think there needs to be more hands on.

The only way I see right now is to find caches in my area and review their TB's :laughing:

Let me know if I am breaking forum rules, but I think this fits the thread.

I am curious is there anyway to query for BSA travel bugs that are near me so I can actively help they move along. I think this is fun and exciting but to help the boys really feel involved I think there needs to be more hands on.

The only way I see right now is to find caches in my area and review their TB's :laughing:

There's no way to search by goal or mission but you can search by name. However there's no way to specify location.

Is anyone else having problems searching for these TBs? I'm guessing that there are hundreds of PWD TBs in the race, but when I do a keyword search for "Race To 2010", 1 trackable is found, and it isn't even part of the game.

Searching on Pinewood pulls up a bunch.

And there's apparently at lease one starting cache AAC Race to 2010 Starting Line

See the History

Edited by BlueDeuce