GEOCACHING IN PARADISE

How bad are the mosquitoes this time of year? We will be visiting the Lakeland area around Christmas and hope to get out to find some Florida caches.

It varies right now, but by around Christmas it should be pretty good. The worst time of day is dawn/dusk and in the deep woods/swampy/wet areas. It's been getting a little better the past few weeks, but I've cached in woods in middle of day and it's ok. I started getting bit a few hours before sunset and beyond. Summer/early fall in the woods, forget it.

How bad are the mosquitoes this time of year? We will be visiting the Lakeland area around Christmas and hope to get out to find some Florida caches.

It varies right now, but by around Christmas it should be pretty good. The worst time of day is dawn/dusk and in the deep woods/swampy/wet areas. It's been getting a little better the past few weeks, but I've cached in woods in middle of day and it's ok. I started getting bit a few hours before sunset and beyond. Summer/early fall in the woods, forget it.

Thanks! :laughing:

NO WORRIES AT CHRISTMAS, MATE--TOO COLD FOR THEM!!!

I'm trying to find a forum for finding benchmarks in the Ocala National Forest. Anyone aware of such a specific foum and topic? I've got a photo of a benchmark I'm trying to log as found but can't find any specific on this benchmark on Geocaching.com.

bobbybear1966

It is seven degrees in Indiana, and 47 here on the Gulf Coast of Florida.This afternoon as it warms up, we will go caching in shorts and sandals!!! HAHAHAHAHA

I've got a photo of a benchmark I'm trying to log as found but can't find any specific on this benchmark on Geocaching.com.

BOBBY, WHY NOT POST YOUR PHOTO OF THE BENCHMARK HERE?

If you can't find it in the listings geographically, then it's not there. The problem is, that only certain types of Benchmarks are listed on GC.com, whereas everybody and his brother places these monuments-- various State agencies, other federal agencies besides USCGS, Counties, municipalities and evenprivate companies. Only a fraction of these are listed on GC.com

It's freezing! Ok, not literally but I feel freezing! I hid 2 caches yesterday and they'll go unfound until it warms up!

This is horrible. The heat is turned on!? Ugh

Looks like your last three hides were found the next day. That's pretty good. I think location and difficulty has more impact on how soon newly published caches are found than the weather... unless there's a hurr :anibad: icane in progress!

We saw a weather map of Florida the other day and the ONLY part of Florida north of Miami that wasn't colored BLUE for freeze warnings was Pinellas County!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

AND CACHERS UP NORTH ARE HAVING TO DIG IN THE (UGH) SNOW TO FIND CACHES!

Forecast for Tomorrow for Palm Harbor is a high of 70 DEGREES.

Anyone going to the Starkey Meet and Greet day after Christmas?

I, my son and my mom are planning on going.

Finally got to use my new Oregon 450 yesterday and found 3 caches. It is so accurate, I was impressed! I held both it and my Nuvi and compared screens for the first 2 caches, to get used to how it worked. I had loaded a free trails map on top of my free topo map, and that was helpful. Got me to about 6-8 feet from the cache. Still getting used to a few features, but liking it very much so far.

Ah, our ampersand was disallowed yesterday, now it's approved...

Our what?

I like the new forums ok. Some good, some ok. I don't care for the grey on white tones, harder to read, IMO. I do like the new cache voting system, that's helpful. I wish we could have the icons back, not all those "s. So far, that's all I've really noticed. Cache stats are ok, not too exciting looking, colors could be a bit more vivid.

I am still wishing for speed...trying to scan an area and get over 500 caches, takes forever. But I guess that upgrade would be super costly.

We went to Upper Tampa Bay Park the other day and I was surprised to see you could rent kayaks and canoes there. And even more surprised there were no caches in the islets in the waterways. I wonder if they would let me put some there? It would be nice to have some caches where people could get to them that don't own their own kayaks or canoes. Something I will have to look into. I'm guessing it wasn't allowed for some reason. Maybe nesting birds or something.

My son Fastfinder1 and I went to Starkey Park Geo Event today. It was COLD and WINDY. Brrrr... But we did find 3 caches, (one was our first terrain 3, and that took us about 40 or more minutes). We DNF'd one, but a few others that were looking also DNF'd it, so we felt it might've gone missing. We were too cold and tired to stay much longer, so we never got around to picking up any travel bugs or coins, but we did meet some of the people whose names we see often in the logs. That was nice and interesting to put faces to names. It was too cold for my mom to come along, but I wish she had, she loves to meet new people, and I think we would've met more new friends if she had come. It was interesting the mixture of people who attended, from all walks of life. We look forward to attending more events and meeting up with more cachers. I have my new bike mount on my bike now, when the weather warms up, I'm going to Starkey!

It's a holder that I can clip my GPSr onto my bicycle handlebars (also fits motorcyles and 4 wheelers). I think it's called RAM motocycle mount.

YOU CAN'T HOLD IT IN YOUR HAND AND LOOK AT IT and still operate your bike???? There are plenty of people around here that can hold a cell phone to their ear, while texting and adjusting their radios, and operate their automobiles at 65 mph....

:blink:

We spent a wonderful weekend celebrating the Birth of Our Saviour in a very small, quaint Georgia village that's been around since 1837. It was the first White Christmas in this area in 128 years! :P

We allotted a few minutes to check out one of the four geocaches in town, the only one that wasn't a micro.

See if you can guess correctly what we saw when we got there:

1. The Turn-of-the-century renovated historic brick train station. :)

2. A beautiful Mural painted on the side of a downtown building depicting an old time Steam Locomotive. :rolleyes:

3. An old time church with steeple and huge white columns out front. :D

4. A rusted unused electrical box surrounded by mud puddles. :(

First correct answer gets a free smiley on our next cache. :anibad:

We spent a wonderful weekend celebrating the Birth of Our Saviour in a very small, quaint Georgia village that's been around since 1837. It was the first White Christmas in this area in 128 years! :P

We allotted a few minutes to check out one of the four geocaches in town, the only one that wasn't a micro.

See if you can guess correctly what we saw when we got there:

1. The Turn-of-the-century renovated historic brick train station. :)

2. A beautiful Mural painted on the side of a downtown building depicting an old time Steam Locomotive. :rolleyes:

3. An old time church with steeple and huge white columns out front. :D

4. A rusted unused electrical box surrounded by mud puddles. :(

First correct answer gets a free smiley on our next cache. :anibad:

I'd guess the rusted electrical box!

It's a holder that I can clip my GPSr onto my bicycle handlebars (also fits motorcyles and 4 wheelers). I think it's called RAM motocycle mount.

YOU CAN'T HOLD IT IN YOUR HAND AND LOOK AT IT and still operate your bike???? There are plenty of people around here that can hold a cell phone to their ear, while texting and adjusting their radios, and operate their automobiles at 65 mph....

:blink:

My husband is a Medical Examiner...his line of work has shown me what happens to those who like to multitask! :anitongue:

I drove 22 hours for FROST. <_< Its suppose to be warmer tomorrow. Just in time for us to head home. At least it was nice and sunny.

The alternative is tons of ice and snow, collapsing domes, canceled airline flights, and the biggest East Coast blizzard in years!

We had to have our plane de-iced in Atlanta the day after Christmas. They don't handle de-icing too well in the South. An hour wait on the tarmac. Then monkeys on leashes with icepicks! Finally somebody got some portable generators and guys with hair dryers and long extension cords...

We're looking at a predicted 76 degrees for the game in Tampa saturday!! :anibad:

I drove 22 hours for FROST. <_< Its suppose to be warmer tomorrow. Just in time for us to head home. At least it was nice and sunny.

The alternative is tons of ice and snow, collapsing domes, canceled airline flights, and the biggest East Coast blizzard in years!

We had to have our plane de-iced in Atlanta the day after Christmas. They don't handle de-icing too well in the South. An hour wait on the tarmac. Then monkeys on leashes with icepicks! Finally somebody got some portable generators and guys with hair dryers and long extension cords...

We're looking at a predicted 76 degrees for the game in Tampa saturday!! :anibad:

Actually, Buffalo was unscathed by the blizzard that tore through the east. It was in the 50s and raining when we returned. Most of the snow has melted. Still, I enjoyed seeing the sun even if it didn't provide much warmth while we were down there. We did get out to Honeymoon SP. It was very nice. Windy and cool but fine by my standards. The cool weather kept the hordes of people away. We had a real nice time.

Well, it looks like Atlanta and most of the south is covered in ICE. This week we are in the low 60's for highs.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: