GEOCACHING IN PARADISE

Talking ABOUT THE OCB GOT us THINKING ABOUT A CHILI PICNIC IN THE PARK, NOW THAT IT'S GETTING COOLER. Think we'll make an event for John Chestnut. No, there'll be NOBEANS in our chili... :rolleyes:

Sounds like a great idea. If we bring chili, can it have beans?

It can but don't refer to it as "chili"--Call it something else--pork and beans or tomato soup with meat and chili peppers and beans, or cowboy stew or something like that. No, we're not Chili Snobs, we just are arseholes. :anitongue:

Ok..awake at 0449 so am online...

Husband and I are in savannah right now. Went to Going Coastal event. Not sure if it went Mega or not. I was guessing 400 people. It was cold at night..so we didn't stay for the "Moondust" night event. We did get a bunch of different icons though. Letterbox, earthcache, regular, virtual and challenge. As well as two regular letterboxes. We went to a CITO at 345 pm that was supposed tot start at 330pm....it was over already. I guess that was a "trash mob"?

Our funny highlights were on a two mile walk in the woods on a very root-lined trail, a unicyclist was riding along.... And we saw a big beetle....pushing an animal poop along the trail. Hilarious.....

Wow....guess I think way too much like a geocacher...

I hid a letterbox in Chesnut Park....the clue led to a tree. It didn't say where in the tree, just that it was an obvious place for an animal to stash something. At the bottom was a hollow area. I hid an empty container , with no letterboxing stamp...but a picture of a squirrel that says "Aw nuts! Keep looking!!!! And put some acorns in there........

The real letterbox was in the back of the tree, five feet up in the crook...in plain sight.

Two finders have looked and found the decoy....but not the real letterbox. Both sent me emails complaining that they didn't like that.... One was mad at me...the other confused...

It was right there in plain sight!!!! I thought my idea was funny!!!!!!! I think its more fun to have to look around a little and find a fun surprise....not have it handed right to me. Guess geocaching has me thinking way too much outside the box. Try to be creative and different in letterboxing....not funny...not appreciated. I'm so disappointed because I worked hard on that box and it is a good carve. A geocacher would've found it in two seconds.

Wow....guess I think way too much like a geocacher...

I hid a letterbox in Chesnut Park....the clue led to a tree. It didn't say where in the tree, just that it was an obvious place for an animal to stash something. At the bottom was a hollow area. I hid an empty container , with no letterboxing stamp...but a picture of a squirrel that says "Aw nuts! Keep looking!!!! And put some acorns in there........

The real letterbox was in the back of the tree, five feet up in the crook...in plain sight.

Two finders have looked and found the decoy....but not the real letterbox. Both sent me emails complaining that they didn't like that.... One was mad at me...the other confused...

It was right there in plain sight!!!! I thought my idea was funny!!!!!!! I think its more fun to have to look around a little and find a fun surprise....not have it handed right to me. Guess geocaching has me thinking way too much outside the box. Try to be creative and different in letterboxing....not funny...not appreciated. I'm so disappointed because I worked hard on that box and it is a good carve. A geocacher would've found it in two seconds.

You are a good person, they are bad people.

I planted new letterbox hybrids as well as regular letterboxes in Palm Harbor and Oldsmar. Check em out! Before it gets too hot....

And no, its not too hot yet.....July through Sept...that's too hot.

And people, double and triple check your coords when you hide caches. Use a real gps, not a cell phone...and do something creative!!!!

I'm sooooooooo over tiny micros in the woods.....at least make them something different...

Someone's gotta compete with CacheMedics! Haha!

I planted new letterbox hybrids as well as regular letterboxes in Palm Harbor and Oldsmar. Check em out! Before it gets too hot....

And people, double and triple check your coords when you hide caches. Use a real gps, not a cell phone...and do something creative!!!!

I found your letterbox in Chestnut Park in December. It was easier and quicker to find than the traditionals in the park, all the coords were dozens of feet off!

I found your letterbox in Chestnut Park in December. It was easier and quicker to find than the traditionals in the park, all the coords were dozens of feet off!

dozens means more than 24...which could be within the margin of error for two different GPS's...

This just in- GeoWoodstock XI will be in Paradise!!!! Check it out GeoWoodstock XI

AWESOMENESS....geowoodstock... I went to one Mega Event in Georgia, just over 500 people. May 25 could be hot, though...eek. Wonder if I'm off that weekend, if so, I will try to go.

I went Geocaching and letterboxing in San Juan, Puerto Rico a few weeks ago. Beautiful there...highly recommend it and Vieques Island.

I haven't been geocaching much lately. I've been sucked deeply into the letterboxing world. I found I'm a pretty good stamp carver, especially in our area where there's not a lot of letterboxers. I won awards for my Chesnut Park series and my Upper Tampa Bay Park series. I think my geocaching experience helped make them more interesting, as well. I do want to put another hybrid and some letterboxes down in Walsingham Park in Largo, probably in October or so, when it's a bit cooler.