GEOCACHING IN PARADISE

THE ONLY EVENT CACHES I SEE SCHEDULED FOR June and July within 40 miles of us are a 15 minute Flash Mob and a really cool event that you need a boat to get to.

Somebody needs to step up.

I know, and I don't have a boat and I gotta work the day of the flash mob event. Oh well. :(

Going to Jupiter/ West Palm Beach area in June, any super cool caches there that I just gotta get? Also going to the Everglades, but don't know if we'll be doing any caching there. Will bring GPS and pocket query Billy Swamp Safari area, just in case. Trying to hit all the counties in FLORIDA, if it takes me 20 years. :lol:

I just got myself a letterbox hunting kit, too. (is that traitor-ish of me?) I challenged another family to find the most letterboxes this summer as another way to get out to the parks and get my kids to go with me. Of course, my GPS will be going with me, too. :P

PS, there is a Memorial Day celebration at the Armed Forces Military history museum in Largo....and there is a geocache there, too.

Guess where I'll be on Memorial Day, with my 8yr old son who insists he's going to be a fighter pilot some day??? B)

CAN YOU PROVIDE WHO WHEN WHERE DATA OR A LINK???

Why, yes I can! :lol: Here's the website:

http://www.armedforcesmuseum.com/

Monday, May 30 10 am-5pm.

Adults $8, Kids $5

10am rock climbing and power jump :blink:

11 am FREE WINGS from WingHouse! B)

12 noon Meet and Greet War Heroes :D

1pm Dedication of MiG-21 Supersonic Jet :anitongue:

1:30 Champion Tae Kwan Do demonstrations :ph34r:

2pm Tutterow International Dancers :laughing:

Edited by FloridaFour

Went Letterboxing for the first time today and found 2 of them with the kids and their friends. The kids were not impressed the the heat, humidity and bugs. My 8 year old was in tears by the time we were done. He said he'll try it again in November.... <_< They liked the stamps and the cool clues, but were disappointed as they like trading the junk in the geocaches. I really need to make a letterbox hybrid. Then they can have it both ways. Too hot right now for me to think straight to find a spot, although I do think I may have found a remote spot in a nearby park.

I have to do maintenance on one of my adopted bridge caches. Hot, so hot. Not looking forward to walking over the bridge.

THE ONLY EVENT CACHES I SEE SCHEDULED FOR June and July within 40 miles of us are a 15 minute Flash Mob and a really cool event that you need a boat to get to.

Somebody needs to step up.

I know, and I don't have a boat and I gotta work the day of the flash mob event. Oh well. :(

Going to Jupiter/ West Palm Beach area in June, any super cool caches there that I just gotta get? Also going to the Everglades, but don't know if we'll be doing any caching there. Will bring GPS and pocket query Billy Swamp Safari area, just in case. Trying to hit all the counties in FLORIDA, if it takes me 20 years. :lol:

I just got myself a letterbox hunting kit, too. (is that traitor-ish of me?) I challenged another family to find the most letterboxes this summer as another way to get out to the parks and get my kids to go with me. Of course, my GPS will be going with me, too. :P

SWEET!

My mom got stopped by security while caching near a strip mall recently. She was soooo put off. Hiders need to get PERMISSION to place caches. Obviously they didn't tell the shopkeepers or the security personnel. Come on, people. This is why I usually refuse to hunt urban caches near stores and stuff. Not to mention they are usually BORING caches. Not worth my time.

My mom got stopped by security while caching near a strip mall recently. She was soooo put off. Hiders need to get PERMISSION to place caches. Obviously they didn't tell the shopkeepers or the security personnel. Come on, people. This is why I usually refuse to hunt urban caches near stores and stuff. Not to mention they are usually BORING caches. Not worth my time.

Ah you are so wise for one of your years, grasshoppah...

Aw grasshopper you have grabbed the pebble from by hand, your wisdom does show over the years of caching you are correct

Max Cacher // JoGPS

I'm back from my visit to paradise. The weather was awesome this year as it was a little cooler most days and we didn't get any rain. I never did find the cache in the palm cave, but I had fun finding the ones I did. I'm hoping to visit again next year, but part of my family is pushing for Wisconsin Dels, even though they did that for this year and we still ended up in Florida. There's no ocean in Wisconsin!

Now I'm back to reality. It rained here a bunch last week and it's looking gloomy today. Yay.

Been awfully hot lately. I have a travel bug I've been meaning to place for a little girl for the past month, but it's so. darn. hot. I did upload some pics and visited an earthcache in Jupiter, FL with her bug, that was all I could manage.

Whew! :surprise:

Maybe I'll get out and drop that bug off tonight at a local travel bug hotel that I already have found. My last few attempts at finding caches have been fruitless and frustrating because of the heat.

Next week, my last cache maintenance of the summer (hopefully) and off to find 5 new caches Scooterpals placed near my Upper Tampa Bay Park caches. Then take it easy and stay cool for a while.

Cool story. I went letterboxing the other day at Sand Key Park... found a geocoin in a letterbox... (not supposed to be there). Went home and logged it. The coin had been missing from it's last known geocache in New York........ since Sept 2006...FIVE YEARS! I contacted the owner and he told me to go ahead and set it free again (in a geoacache, this time!) haha. Pretty cool. Link to coin below.

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=694868

Cool story. I went letterboxing the other day at Sand Key Park... found a geocoin in a letterbox... (not supposed to be there). Went home and logged it. The coin had been missing from it's last known geocache in New York........ since Sept 2006...FIVE YEARS! I contacted the owner and he told me to go ahead and set it free again (in a geoacache, this time!) haha. Pretty cool. Link to coin below.

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=694868

YOU ROCK!!!

We had an interesting day yesterday. Check out GC2BXAE-very frustrating to say the least. Later on in the day we went to GC276AA- it was an uplifting experience. Who knew paradise had so many ups and downs. B):blink:

Perhaps you could share with us why you felt so good about the last cache? Inquiring minds want to know.

We had an interesting day yesterday. Check out GC2BXAE-very frustrating to say the least. Later on in the day we went to GC276AA- it was an uplifting experience. Who knew paradise had so many ups and downs. B):blink:

Perhaps you could share with us why you felt so good about the last cache? Inquiring minds want to know.

Ok, I will try to elaborate without giving up too many clues about the cache. First it is a 4/3 in an urban setting. Not unheard of, but rare. When we got to GZ we saw what we were up against. Second, we had to use some MacGyver insticts just to inspect the area. Third, when we spotted the cache we had to create a way to retrieve it. Which we did.

Being with a group in which everyone lended a helping hand made for a great find.

Cached a bit in Cocoa and had a blast! Visited Dale And Barb's Geocaching store. Awesome gear and nice folks. Anyone near the space coast has to go see this store!

I'll be hiding some 5 terrain caches this summer while canoeing with my mom. Hello from the south west coast!

Edited by SeekerOfTheWay

The smooth still green slime is broken by the nose and eyes of the enormous reptile. His yellow eyes shine in the morning mist. The white water lilies sway in his gentle wake as he passes by. Every other living creature in the swamp shudders in anticipation of what he'll do next...The Gator is once more on the prowl!!!

As he approaches the long, flat, black land, he sees a large creature approaching from the distance. "What kind of creature is this?" he thinks to himself. "It is big and swift and has two glowing red and blue eyes on the top of it's head. I wonder how it will taste?" The very last thoughts of this magnificent creature.

Hi, there! We are near Gainesville, Florida and are wanting to get to know others so that we can learn and enjoy the hobby. We have been caching while on vacation and wow are the conditions different in coastal North West Florida than central North Florida. We have had our share of cactus, thorns, thorny vines, etc. for the moment. Not to mention the heat and bugs. On a happier note, we are complete newbies and haven't even reached a month, yet but have found 129 caches. There were others we did not find as well.

Hi, there! We are near Gainesville, Florida and are wanting to get to know others so that we can learn and enjoy the hobby. We have been caching while on vacation and wow are the conditions different in coastal North West Florida than central North Florida. We have had our share of cactus, thorns, thorny vines, etc. for the moment. Not to mention the heat and bugs. On a happier note, we are complete newbies and haven't even reached a month, yet but have found 129 caches. There were others we did not find as well.

Welcome to our addiction. Congratulations on a great first month! IMHO events are a great way to meet local cachers and get some tips.