GEOCACHING IN PARADISE

Logs a cache owner never wants to see #567 (revealing "additional hint" in log and admitting (duh) they don't know what a word means) which means they don't have access to the internet to look it up, so how do they participate in geocaching, gosh I don't know:

[Didn't find it] October 10 by xxxx

Too much trash, no idea what a cairne is

Com'on people!!!!!

Edited by Crow T Robot

Hello Florida Cachers!

My kids and I just started geocaching this week. We found one, didn't find 2. (yet) I was a dork who left my Garmin GPS in Car mode, and didn't know it had a Pedestrian Mode. Just learning it! LOL. Might work better if it doesn't tell me to do a u-turn in 1/3 mile or stop when it hits the parking lot...

Finding the first one in a park in Palm Harbor was exciting! Hi to Trader Rick and Rosie, maybe we will bump into you someday...we live in Palm Harbor, too. B)

I laughed at the "we don't hunt nanos". My kids ONLY want to look for the bigger ones with lotsa goodies inside! And I had a hard enough time finding an ammo box... But I will try and find some on my own just to see how it goes.

I will try to post a nice scenic trail pic when I get them uploaded.

Great weather now, can't wait to head out to Sand Key this weekend and try our luck!

Andrea :)

Went a-caching this weekend. Found 4 more. So far, we are at about 50/50 with finding and not finding... I am getting better with the GPS, but still missed 3 in a row today. Hmm. I decided I don't like looking for caches that are in high-traffic places. I feel goofy poking around bushes and under benches when someone comes around the corner on a bike or is sitting on a bench nearby. I like the ones in pretty parks, away from people. I know where 2 are (pretty much), but there are a ton of people around, in shopping centers. I logged my DNF's and I think people don't bother logging those....there don't seem to be many! B)

50/50 is not all that hot--maybe you need to check out your Global Positioning System device. Mark a spot, then move a hundred yards away, and try to find it, check out it's accuracy--or are your finds pretty near to ground zero? As your found numbers increase, you will sharpen your "geo-sense" and know better where and how to look. You can also search prior find logs for hints, before you go out.

The proliferation of lamppost skirt hides has made the hobby more inclusive, for urban people afraid to be near grass and trees and scream like little girls if they see an insect..

We like caches out in the woods the best, as well.

AS for DNF's it is our opinion that only about one in four is ever logged, and this is from years of study of the problem. People are just afraid to post DNF's for fear of looking stupid to others. They don't get it.... If there is enuff DNF's on a cache, then they pile on, tho--feel like they are just part of the group and not inferior. Oh, well.

Cache On!!! :angry:

I am getting better with the GPS, but still missed 3 in a row today. Hmm.

I didn't mean to imply your GPS was innacurate, in my previous post. By practicing with it and navigating to a known coordinate a number of times, you will get used to the interaction between yourself and the unit, and by noticing how it zeros in, be able to refine your search techniques. Do this at an open field on a cloudless day.

We have found that one way to zero out at ground zero, for example, if your unit is bouncing around due to tree cover,etc. is to:

Move back away about 60 feet or so and then follow your GPS RAPIDLY until you hit zero. This may take several attempts, from different directions, but has been a useful technique for us.

We have found that 90% or more of caches are to be found within 10-15 feet or better... remember, if the hiders unit is at 10' accuracy (which is very good) and yours is too, that's a 20' radius of where you're at and that's a pretty good search area.

The best advise is: "When searching, Think like a hider." (Where would YOU hide it?). Course that works best if you ARE a hider. Just as with all things you get better with experience!

Thanks! I think it's a combo of myself and the GPS. Mine stops counting distance at 40 feet, but the arrow is still apart from the flag, so I keep walking in a straight line. I'll try your suggestion of walking quickly towards it and see if that helps. I do need more practice triangulating the spot. I use my kids to mark 2 angles and then walk in from a third. That's how I found one that was buried under some palmetto leaves. The arrow was pointing at it, but I just didn't believe there would be anything actually BURIED! So far, that's my proudest find. Very exciting.

I like the sense of "I'm one of few people out here in the woods that knows this is here". It's like a secret society! So the public ones I get too paranoid and don't try very long. The ones along the bike trail I tried yesterday are semi public, also hard to get that third angle. Might have to try from across the street!

I might be needing a more accurate GPS for a Christmas present this year. :angry:

Trader Rick and Rosie- I told your quote to my husband, who is a Medical Examiner....he's been forwarned.

We went out to Honeymoon Island today for Halloween Spooktacular and found one of your caches, Latitude 28- Pretty in Pink. My son spotted the cache and traded for a bug silly band that he just LOVES. [:rolleyes:]

My mom is now hooked on geocaching, too. Quilter 11. Hi Mom!

Trader Rick and Rosie- I told your quote to my husband, who is a Medical Examiner....he's been forwarned.

We went out to Honeymoon Island today for Halloween Spooktacular and found one of your caches, Latitude 28- Pretty in Pink. My son spotted the cache and traded for a bug silly band that he just LOVES. [:D]

My mom is now hooked on geocaching, too. Quilter 11. Hi Mom!

OUTSTANDING!!

.357 Magnum? Pffft. Everyone knows that you need a .45 to take on Bigfoot. Or did you mean .357 SIG? :D

.45 if you're not a good shot. .357 if you can do a head or heart shot. Plus, with a revolver, we can do custom loads designed especially to take down large ape like critters, and more easily clean out mud, swamp water, etc. when in rough terrain...Wait! what is that SMELL?????

.357 Magnum? Pffft. Everyone knows that you need a .45 to take on Bigfoot. Or did you mean .357 SIG? :(

.45 if you're not a good shot. .357 if you can do a head or heart shot. Plus, with a revolver, we can do custom loads designed especially to take down large ape like critters, and more easily clean out mud, swamp water, etc. when in rough terrain...Wait! what is that SMELL?????

WHAT smel----oh, no.......I'm not looking behind me....

GEOCACHERS SONG

It's been a long road, getting from there to here.

It's been a long time, but my time is finally near.

And I will see my dream come alive at last. I will touch the sky.

And they're not gonna hold me down no more, no they're not gonna change my mind.

Cause I've got faith of the heart.

I'm going where my heart will take me.

I've got faith to believe. I can do anything.

I've got strength of the soul. And no one's gonna bend or break me.

I can reach any star.

I've got faith.

I've got faith, faith of the heart.

:D

I just did a multi cache in Chestnut Park today. Took me 4 hours total. With an extra hint from the CO. How embarrassing! Can't imagine doing it in summer in the heat and mosquito time!

My almost 8 yr old son asked for his own account on here... Now I have to go back and add all the caches he's been on with me. I'm going to take him to that multi-cache. Who wants to bet he can find the clue that eluded me.... :)

Chestnut has a nice dog park, too. We are going to hold our Winter All U can Eat Chili event there--watch for it!

Sounds like fun! Is it a contest for the best Chili too?

Earthdog, I get the feeling you are one of "many" personalities! :laughing:

BTW, I'm looking for a geocaching buddy. The Pinellas Geocachers tend to go a bit too far south for my liking. Anyone? :rolleyes:

Chestnut has a nice dog park, too. We are going to hold our Winter All U can Eat Chili event there--watch for it!

Sounds like fun! Is it a contest for the best Chili too?

Earthdog, I get the feeling you are one of "many" personalities! :laughing:

BTW, I'm looking for a geocaching buddy. The Pinellas Geocachers tend to go a bit too far south for my liking. Anyone? :)

i GUESS WE COULD HAVE A CONTEST, IF THERE WAS ANUFF interest.

We are available for caching adventure trips, 24-7, 7 days a week ....

When's the Chili Eatin' Event? I'll go, I live a mile from Chestnut Park. :) I make a good black bean chili, too. IMO! B)

I'm also planning on going to the GeoEvent in Starkey Park Dec 26, most likely with part of my family. I'm getting a new GPS and would be great to see if someone could help me out with it.

Swfirefly- I live in Palm Harbor. I'm pretty new at this, though....one month in. But it would be easier for me to meet up closer to home, too. I have kids to drop off in mornings, and work to get to on Weds. afternoons.

As a family, we did the 2 longer trail caches on Honeymoon Island today. Saw 3 tortoises, an armadillo, wood stork, woodpecker, lotsa ospreys. We were attacked by mosquitoes, ouchy sand spurs, possibly poison ivy, and my son fell and scraped a knee...but we got the caches! :mad: We loved it!

tHAT'S ANOTHER GOOD THING ABOUT CACHING IN THE COLD fLORIDA WINTERS--YOU WEAR LONG PANTS AND THAT HELPS PROTECT YOU AGAINST BUGS, SCRAPES AND THORNS :angry:

I love Oyster Dressing, and make it every year in November. I also like to crunch down raw Appalatchicola Bay oysters on the half shell with just a tiny dab of hot sauce while consuming vast quantities of beer.

But did you ever wonder about the first cave man who wandered down to the shore and was so hungry he scraped an oyster off a rock and ate it? How hungry do you have to be to do that? What made him think that was even a good idea? Did he know whether the month had an "R" in it?

Cavemen were the first Geocachers, but they didn't use little yellow etrexes...They left little bags of smoked oysters in caches.

Edited by Trader Rick & Rosie

I don't know why I cannot read the posts on here today...but...

I just bought an Oregon 450 for $229 on sale. Holy smokes! I was waffling for weeks between the Dakota 20 and the PN40, but when this deal came up...I jumped.

Merry Christmas to me! Now hopefully I can figure out how to download some maps and get going on it by the Starkey Park Event! Then some GeoExperts there can show me how to best use it!

I don't know why I cannot read the posts on here today...but...

I just bought an Oregon 450 for $229 on sale. Holy smokes! I was waffling for weeks between the Dakota 20 and the PN40, but when this deal came up...I jumped.

Merry Christmas to me! Now hopefully I can figure out how to download some maps and get going on it by the Starkey Park Event! Then some GeoExperts there can show me how to best use it!

kool!

DID HE HAVE A TAN AND SILVER HAIR AND ANSWER TO "CHARLIE"?

I didn't stick around to look or ask! :) My son wanted to go back and give him money. ;) Also it was near Walmart at the edge of some woods, at dusk. Too creepy for me. Strange to walk back into the woods and see someone just sitting in there looking at me. (right where the cache might've been, too). He waved at us.

Edited by FloridaFour