GEOCACHING IN PARADISE

Friday we walked into a swamp cache, knee deep in water.

In much of the country, the 1.5 mile walk back to the parking would have = hypothermia, or loss of toes..... we weren't even cold. Heck, once we hit the paved bike trail, I took my shoes to dry my feet on the warm asphalt. Life is good.

- perhaps now is not the time to mention August? ;-) when that same cache walk will equal death by blood loss, or heat stroke :ph34r:

TIP OF THE DAY:

If you search for a cache and can't find it, log a DNF. I know, you will be ridiculed and reviled, laughed at and derided, shunned and not invited to parties, but hey, it helps out hiders and finders alot if you do. And if you have a healthy ego and sense of self worth, all the negativity won't bother you anyway. iF IT DOES, YOU NEED TO WORK ON THAT. :tongue:

Well Germany and Tennessee have snow covered mountains which are lovely, while Florida never gets higher than about seventy feet, but I'll take being a warm flatlander over being a mountain climber any day...HaHa

"snow covered" and "lovely" are mostly mutual exclusive for me :lol: both hobbies more or less on ice till spring ... (cars & GC)

fLORIDA gEOCACHING tIP: yOU DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' FORUMS!!!

Hi Trader Rick & Rosie,

I think I met you at the Pinellas Geocacher's meetup a few weekends ago. Didn't you host a Lost and Found event last week? I was planning on going, but I over slept. I did manage to make it to Capt Biggin's event on Friday.

It is a bit disappointing that no one local seems to use the forums. I read them quite often, but rarely post anything.

Hope to see you again sometime.

Well Germany and Tennessee have snow covered mountains which are lovely, while Florida never gets higher than about seventy feet, but I'll take being a warm flatlander over being a mountain climber any day...HaHa

We actually get up to just over 200 almost 300 feet at the highest point in Paxton, FL - but that is practically in Alabama :)

We actually get up to just over 200 almost 300 feet at the highest point in Paxton, FL - but that is practically in Alabama :)

You are correct. I guess I was remembering the Florida of 50 years ago, before city streets were 10-lane limited access divided highways :) . I guess it's gotten higher now. Mean elevation is about 100'...

fLORIDA gEOCACHING tIP: yOU DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' FORUMS!!!

Hi Trader Rick & Rosie,

I think I met you at the Pinellas Geocacher's meetup a few weekends ago. Didn't you host a Lost and Found event last week? I was planning on going, but I over slept. I did manage to make it to Capt Biggin's event on Friday.

It is a bit disappointing that no one local seems to use the forums. I read them quite often, but rarely post anything.

Hope to see you again sometime.

yes, yes. Keep on caching!!

OYSTER ALERT: Probably only a few weeks left for Appalachiecola Bay raw oysters to be any good... get 'em now! Or wait until September!

Thanks, but I'll pass on the oysters! :)

Hey! I just noticed you have a multi right by where I live. I'm going to go find it today! :blink:

im in orlando, will be heading around florida soon looking, hiding some in orlando, going to try to make them mostly large, since there are too many micros.

its really hot during the day, like sometimes unberable, feels like i have a water tap on my head minues after stepping outside.

lots of water needed.

but at least it doesnt snow!

also although you can walk around in sandles 98% of the time in florida, they are not reccomended for trail hikes, since there are tons of venomous animals, insects, and poisionous and prickly plants about here

Yes, rattlers, coral snakes, gators, mosquitoes, biting flies, and fire ants and fire-weed abound in mega-ton quantities. And 100 degree oppressive heat and 100% humidity, and hurricanes and sinkholes and lots of lightening and thunderstorms. Still beats living up north with grey skies six months out of the year and ice and snow!!!

And: If you get too hot, you can always find some flowing water and shade, and not die. Stay out nakid in sub zero Ohio weather and you're DEAD!!

GO GATUHS!! :)

Hot? Yeah, I guess so. I went out today to go along a bike trail and find some along the way. I was walking tho.

Tried to start early. I started at around 7:30, I think. I walked 1.5 miles to one there, then turned around. Next one was nearly a mile further, and I just could not make it. Got back the the car, and realized the heat index was 104F! Cooled off and headed in the other direction, and found one more. That was all I could take, so now I am home and showered.

Gonna try to figure out how to dip my personal coin in the logs, and call it a day. The heat is just draining.

That's why our Audubon club schedules summer hikes at 7AM-- By ten o'clock it's so hot you can barely breathe. But still better than being so cold your fingers don't work.

BTW, when TR spent some time in the tropics last century, it was 120 degrees at noon and dropped down to 80 at night, so you had to pull on a wool blanket because the forty degree difference made you cold! and the blanket was always damp due to the 150% humidity during monsoon season...

So, it could be worse. Remember extreme heat may be uncomfortable, but extreme cold is DEADLY!! :)

GO GATUH GO GATUH!!

:laughing:

ugh, it's so bloody hot outside now that it's officially summer, i dont want to do anything, geocacheing or not, but I like to go at night here around orlando, even then its still super hot and humid liek you wouldnt believe

Here in the Paradise that is the West Coast, we sat yesterday evening under an umbrella quaffing cold PBR's on the Patio of our favorite hangout, listening to live parrot head music, enjoying the cool Gulf Breezes!!!

52900763-d340-4f20-a6ba-ea92b621978b.jpg

Earthdog Angus likes beer, too.