Nosey Neighbors

bittsen

Why do people have to be so nosey.

Maybe nosey isn't the right word, maybe it is.

Last night some nosey neighbors called the police on me AFTER I had talked to them and explained why I was there, on public property, looking for a cache. It wouldn't bother me if the public property was next to theirs but it was on a road that led to their property. Their property (according to the maps) is about 300 feet away.

Today they signed up for an account to log 2 finds on the cache and post a note that misquoted me.

The CO disabled the cache. The CO is new and this is a pretty big deterrent for someone new to the hobby.

Why do people feel the need to be so nosy and controlling?

Looks like it is on private property and not the Springwater Corridor right away.

Yeah, I'm sure thats how the nosey neighbor thinks too.

The springwater trail runs along Johnson Creek in many places. Springwater trail is a rails to trails recipient so there is a natural easement that the RR used to have. That easement extends to Johnson Creek.

The point is the neighbor doesn't live close, it's a great spot for a cache because you can only see ONE house from the location and that house doesn't even belong to the nosey neighbor.

It's a wild area where you are allowed to be. In fact, you are even allowed to go fishing there.

Last night some nosey neighbors called the police on me AFTER I had talked to them and explained why I was there, on public property, looking for a cache. It wouldn't bother me if the public property was next to theirs but it was on a road that led to their property. Their property (according to the maps) is about 300 feet away.

Today they signed up for an account to log 2 finds on the cache and post a note that misquoted me.

The CO disabled the cache. The CO is new and this is a pretty big deterrent for someone new to the hobby.

Maybe nosey, maybe concerned. What time of night was it? 300 feet from their property isn't all that far away.

Maybe nosey, maybe concerned. What time of night was it? 300 feet from their property isn't all that far away.

As I said. We talked to them. They knew what we were doing.

It was 8:30-9:30 Pm when I was there.

In my neck of the woods, that's not "late" and, as I said, I was 50-75 feet off of a VERY public trail ON a public road.

As I said. We talked to them. They knew what we were doing.

It was 8:30-9:30 Pm when I was there.

In my neck of the woods, that's not "late" and, as I said, I was 50-75 feet off of a VERY public trail ON a public road.

Well, yeah... but look who was doing the explaining! Mary Poppins... not!

471ac148-1a3f-4044-8e85-34116fc9848b.jpg

From the maps (not that I'm impressed with the quality of the maps...) it appears to be out of the Springwater Corridor, and on private property.

But, the point is, if the cache is causing problems with the neighbors, even if the cache were on public property, then that is not a good location for a cache. Yup. Nosey neighbors win.

471ac148-1a3f-4044-8e85-34116fc9848b.jpg

From the maps (not that I'm impressed with the quality of the maps...) it appears to be out of the Springwater Corridor, and on private property.

But, the point is, if the cache is causing problems with the neighbors, even if the cache were on public property, then that is not a good location for a cache. Yup. Nosey neighbors win.

The cache is also not quite at the posted coordinates.

The owner of the property wrote me back stating that Johnson Creek CAN be owned which is a polar opposite of what I was told (in person) by the manager of the Johnson Creek Watershed.

Oh well, it was still a nosey neighbor and not the property owner that called the police on me. ~L~

As the cop said, the cache should have been placed under the bridge. That's DEFINATELY not private property. :ph34r:

9:30 is late where I am from.

Strangers out and about near my property (if I was a non-cacher) would absolutely warrant a call to the police.

Look at if from their non-caching view, not from your cachecentric view.

Ed

9:30 is late where I am from.

Strangers out and about near my property (if I was a non-cacher) would absolutely warrant a call to the police.

Look at if from their non-caching view, not from your cachecentric view.

Ed

I'm not looking at it from a cachecentric view. Here in my area, 11PM isn't really late. The Springwater trail is open at 9:30.

In fact, while we were looking for the cache, a couple joggers came running down the trail.

It also seems the trail in Gresham is closed from 8pm to 6am in the winter.

Closed ??

Yeah, Gresham is a funny city. Lots of police tickets issued but very high crime rates.

Take that as you will.

So, how did it go with the police?

It went great. All three of them were helping me look for the cache. Turns out I still have the charm for the guys when I need it.

We didn't find the cache because it was not put out yet by the CO.

It was the first time I've interacted with that version of LEO without getting some sort of a penalty though. So it all turned out well.

It also seems the trail in Gresham is closed from 8pm to 6am in the winter.

Closed ??

Yeah, Gresham is a funny city. Lots of police tickets issued but very high crime rates.

Take that as you will.

So, how did it go with the police?

It went great. All three of them were helping me look for the cache.

They call that "frisking" around here.

It was the first time I've interacted with that version of LEO without getting some sort of a penalty though. So it all turned out well.

"That version"? What...??? FBI? CIA? IRS? :ph34r:

All of the above...

No, the particular city version.

Well, if they didn't already know what geocaching was, I sure hope that you gave them an earful of Knowschad's version of "Where the Heck Has Your Head Been* for the Past Ten Years?".

*and what if it had instead been a new scam, designer drug, rape drug, or other type of crime instead of a harmless activity that had been going on right under your noses for the past ten years?

All of the above...

No, the particular city version.

Well, if they didn't already know what geocaching was, I sure hope that you gave them an earful of Knowschad's version of "Where the Heck Has Your Head Been* for the Past Ten Years?".

*and what if it had instead been a new scam, designer drug, rape drug, or other type of crime instead of a harmless activity that had been going on right under your noses for the past ten years?

They all three knew about geocaching. In fact, to halt the onslaught of squad cars on the way, he got on his radio and simply said "Code 4, it's just a geocacher"

(OK, onslaught of squad cars means that there were 3 that had showed up but it seemed as more were on the way)

I'm a little confused - cache is not exactly at the posted coordinates, but the CO hasn't placed the cache yet? Or were you referring to two separate caches?

OK, let me catch you up to date.

I went to look for the cache but the cache owner had forgotten to put it out. The next day the cache owner put the cache out but not at the actual coordinates (the coords are a little soft but not on purpose). So, it shows at the wrong place on the map.

Did that clear it up?

I'm a little confused - cache is not exactly at the posted coordinates, but the CO hasn't placed the cache yet? Or were you referring to two separate caches?

I went to look for the cache but the cache owner had forgotten to put it out. The next day the cache owner put the cache out but not at the actual coordinates (the coords are a little soft but not on purpose). So, it shows at the wrong place on the map.

Did that clear it up?

And you went back the next day after the neighbors called the police on you? (not that there's anything wrong with that since it is on public land.)

Did that clear it up?

And you went back the next day after the neighbors called the police on you? (not that there's anything wrong with that since it is on public land.)

GC23NVB

He went out the day it was published and the container had not yet been put out. That's when the run in with the law occurred.

Sounds like a combination of new hider not having the container out caused an extended search and neighbors who don't like people poking around the area combined to make this a bad placement.

At least the CO didn't make a stink about it. He just went ahead and disabled it. I'm curious if he's planning to work the issue out with the neighbors or ultimately archive it.

The street view looks like it's a decent location for a cache.

Someone in our area recently had an unpleasant run-in with a landowner who didn't understand that a road allowance near his property is now part of a public trail system. Apparently the local authorities are going to see to it that he's "educated" about the issue before he threatens anyone else.

If the land that this cache is on *is* public, perhaps these nosey neighbours should be similarly educated about the meaning of PUBLIC.

GC23NVB

He went out the day it was published and the container had not yet been put out. That's when the run in with the law occurred.

Sounds like a combination of new hider not having the container out caused an extended search and neighbors who don't like people poking around the area combined to make this a bad placement.

At least the CO didn't make a stink about it. He just went ahead and disabled it. I'm curious if he's planning to work the issue out with the neighbors or ultimately archive it.

The street view looks like it's a decent location for a cache.

Ah, thanks. That cleared it up. Not that it really matters to the situation, I was just curious.

Without being there to see the situation as it unfolded, and from reading their remarks on the cache page, all I can say is that it doesn't sound very gracious of the neighbors.

Edited by Chrysalides

Ah, thanks. That cleared it up. Not that it really matters to the situation, I was just curious.

Without being there to see the situation as it unfolded, and from reading their remarks on the cache page, all I can say is that it doesn't sound very gracious of the neighbors.

The woman who claims she owns the property in question said there is a unique case where the cache is. She said out of all of the Johnson Creek Watershed, this is the only place where the property is owned all across the creek. Its odd that this 250 foot section would have a different designation than the rest of the 20+ miles of creek but it's possible.

It's not an issue with me because it's not my cache and the cache is disabled right now but if it were my cache, I would move it 20 feet closer to the road (and hide it under the very unquestionably public bridge).

The lady does seem to be interested in geocaching though. It will be interesting to see if she ever finds any caches.

The woman who claims she owns the property in question said there is a unique case where the cache is. She said out of all of the Johnson Creek Watershed, this is the only place where the property is owned all across the creek. Its odd that this 250 foot section would have a different designation than the rest of the 20+ miles of creek but it's possible.

It's not an issue with me because it's not my cache and the cache is disabled right now but if it were my cache, I would move it 20 feet closer to the road (and hide it under the very unquestionably public bridge).

The lady does seem to be interested in geocaching though. It will be interesting to see if she ever finds any caches.

I doubt her property rights/boundaries would be treated differently than those of every other owner on the 20+ miles of creek without her making a fuss about it. I have to wonder if that is connected to her irritation at the cache placement.

I'd be tempted to place the cache 6 inches off her property line. Wouldn't DO it but it would be tempting. :ph34r:

But does putting it under the bridge actually solve the problem of neighbors being annoyed (rightly or wrongly) and calling the police? The homeowners log states there were recent break ins - unknown folks poking around will still appear to be suspicious.

Bittsen, the country is full of Mrs. Kravitz types. Sounds like you handled the situation very well. Also sounds like the home owner has some issues with the public trail being so close to their Impenetrable Fortress of Isolation and you got caught on the wrong end of the Pole-Arm of Property Owner Paranoia.

But... any hour after sunset if probably "too late" in most parts.

For the sake of those reading this thread without having taken a look at the logs for the cache, (and to be fair to the homeowners in the area), one of the logs states:

We had a chance to talk to a nearby neighbor who came out to see what we where doing. It seems there have been some break-ins nearby so they watch each other closely.

You probably should only do this cache in daylight for their sanity.

So, private property, or not... this seems to come down to a simple matter of being considerate to others. I was glad to see the cache owner dealing with it in just that way.

After doing lots and lots of searching on Oregon land maps, it does appear that the person is correct - that piece of property is one of odd ones out - the property line extends all the way to the springwater corridor.

land in question

You will need to use IE as the site is not yet compliant with other browsers (just dont understand why web developers code to 1 specific browser).

edited to add - once at the above site, do an address search using the below address:

SitusAddr 655 SE DOWSETT LN

MapTaxlot 1S3E15BA -00800

PropertyId R340169

AltAcctNum R993150870

Legal SECTION 15 1S 3E, TL 800 2.09 ACRES

Edited by skraeling

After doing lots and lots of searching on Oregon land maps, it does appear that the person is correct - that piece of property is one of odd ones out - the property line extends all the way to the springwater corridor.

land in question

You will need to use IE as the site is not yet compliant with other browsers (just dont understand why web developers code to 1 specific browser).

edited to add - once at the above site, do an address search using the below address:

SitusAddr 655 SE DOWSETT LN

MapTaxlot 1S3E15BA -00800

PropertyId R340169

AltAcctNum R993150870

Legal SECTION 15 1S 3E, TL 800 2.09 ACRES

Yup, and the neighbor is now threatening to "contact the authorities" if the cache isn't immediately removed.

(but she told me she tried to donate the land to the city)

I would have called the cops on you too being that close to my property.. :ph34r:

I'm curious if he's planning to work the issue out with the neighbors or ultimately archive it.

I guess he chose neither. :ph34r:

Heck with it. Just be nice to the neighbors when you are there.

In this case, he should just go ahead and archive it. I guarantee you if Hakeypreschool figures out how to post an NA log that it will be archived anyway.

I would have called the cops on you too being that close to my property.. :ph34r:

So now it's illegal to be "close" to property lines? WOW!!

And when the police arrived I would do exactly what I do every time. Tell the truth.

And when the police arrived I would do exactly what I do every time. Tell the truth.

No, I was funning you.. it's only illegal for YOU to be too close to my property line.

No, I was funning you.. it's only illegal for YOU to be too close to my property line.

:ph34r: