Storing Cache Locations in 60CSx?

GaryInSandyEggo

I have a Garmin 60CSx that I bought 2 years ago, but have never used. Just recently got interested in Geocaching and have a 2-GIG chip in the unit. What I LOVE about this site is that I can down-load GeoCache locations directly into my GPS. Since I know next to nothing about the 60CSx, I've got a few questions regarding its use:

1. How many Geocache sites can I download and store in my Garmin?

2. When I reach the limit, what happens if I try to download more?

Great site.

Regards, Gary in Sandy Eggo

I have a Garmin 60CSx that I bought 2 years ago, but have never used. Just recently got interested in Geocaching and have a 2-GIG chip in the unit. What I LOVE about this site is that I can down-load GeoCache locations directly into my GPS. Since I know next to nothing about the 60CSx, I've got a few questions regarding its use:

2. When I reach the limit, what happens if I try to download more?

Great site.

Your unit will hold 1000 waypoints.Nothing will happen when you reach the limit. May I suggest you google Garmin 60csx manual and look it over. There are programs that will load caches as POI's to your sd card and will up the maximum to many thousand

1,000 waypoints. (That may not be 1,000 caches!)

LOADS!!! (many 1.000's!) If you save the details as POI files!

The unit will only take 1,000 waypoints, then no more load.

1 cache will have the co-ords for the final location, but may have additional waypoints for parking, trailhead, waypoints for parts of a multi-cache, etc. Thus 1,000 waypoints, is not 1,000 caches.

Worth looking at GSAK, and maybe Premium membership.

GSAK has macros that allow you to send some cache information as a POI so you can semi-paperless cache with the unit.

Premium membership allows the use of PQ's (Pocket Queries) that make serious caching a lot easier!

The limit for actual geocache waypoints is 1,000. If you go to Garmin's website and dowload the POI loader you can load thousands more as POIs. The only difference between a geocache waypoint and a POI is that you can't use the geocaching specific functions for POIs. Other than that they are essentially the same.

The limit for actual geocache waypoints is 1,000. If you go to Garmin's website and dowload the POI loader you can load thousands more as POIs. The only difference between a geocache waypoint and a POI is that you can't use the geocaching specific functions for POIs. Other than that they are essentially the same.

And they can't be edited or deleted in the field.

And they can't be edited or deleted in the field.

And that.

Thanks for all the responses. The part that surprises me is the inability to delete locations from my gps in the field. That could pose a problem in that regardless of how many sites I have loaded into my Garmin, it only shows the closest 50 to where I happen to be at the time.

NEW QUESTION: Is there a way to look at and/or delete distant cache locations regardless of where I happen to be (Garmin 60CSx)?

Thanks for all the responses. The part that surprises me is the inability to delete locations from my gps in the field. That could pose a problem in that regardless of how many sites I have loaded into my Garmin, it only shows the closest 50 to where I happen to be at the time.

NEW QUESTION: Is there a way to look at and/or delete distant cache locations regardless of where I happen to be (Garmin 60CSx)?

You see the nearest ones because that is the default display - view by distance - change the view by option to alphabetic and you can see any and all of them.

You CAN delete waypoints. Custom POIs are not really intended to be used to hold geocaches. They are really intended to allow you to augment the existing POIs included with maps. So if the list of POIs doesn't included your local bank, for example, you can add it yourself. These are intended to be permanent, not ephemeral.