Premier Geocoin Race V

Shilo

Shilo, I have a question about our racers that go missing.

Should we change their location to "unknown" if we get information that our racers are NOT in the cache that is listed on geocaching.com?

For example, my sister, Echo Echo, and you both have racers listed in the following cache: GC1QTT5 Both of these racers were placed on 28 May, but if you go back in the logs for this cache, the owner posted a note that the cache was actually REMOVED at one point in early June. The owner replaced it and so the cache never went on "temporarily disabled" status or anything like that, nor did my sister receive a note that something happened to the cache her racer was in. To date, there is no note on her racer's page AT ALL, but information on the cache page is quite different.

So, how should we monitor our racers? Will you mark them missing on our standings pages and we're responsible for marking them missing at geocaching.com? Or should we just leave them be for a year, or at least the course of the race?

Shilo, I have a question about our racers that go missing.

Should we change their location to "unknown" if we get information that our racers are NOT in the cache that is listed on geocaching.com?

For example, my sister, Echo Echo, and you both have racers listed in the following cache: GC1QTT5 Both of these racers were placed on 28 May, but if you go back in the logs for this cache, the owner posted a note that the cache was actually REMOVED at one point in early June. The owner replaced it and so the cache never went on "temporarily disabled" status or anything like that, nor did my sister receive a note that something happened to the cache her racer was in. To date, there is no note on her racer's page AT ALL, but information on the cache page is quite different.

So, how should we monitor our racers? Will you mark them missing on our standings pages and we're responsible for marking them missing at geocaching.com? Or should we just leave them be for a year, or at least the course of the race?

Treat your racers as you would any of your other trackables. As long as there is a log generated, I will get it and mark them as missing on the standings. I try and wait a little while before marking them as missing on the standings in hope they reappear.

If they are marked as missing and then later 'grabbed' I will get that log and remove the missing in the standings.

Another question: how does "dipping" affect our racers?

Has this already been answered? If so, I'll backtrack through this thread to get to it - I just have a minute right now!

One of my racers has been picked up and has been "dipped" into two caches: one to correct mileage and another as part of a journey. The rules don't address "dipping"...is this a non-issue?

Another question: how does "dipping" affect our racers?

Has this already been answered? If so, I'll backtrack through this thread to get to it - I just have a minute right now!

One of my racers has been picked up and has been "dipped" into two caches: one to correct mileage and another as part of a journey. The rules don't address "dipping"...is this a non-issue?

Rule #2 addresses 'dipping'(now called 'took').

I mentioned in post #137 how I'm going to deal with 'cacher x took your racer to' logs.

Pretty much, the mileage will count if rule #2 is followed and you will get a cacher when it is placed.

David

The standings are updated :D

Thank you to those of you who also supported the Butterfly Migration 2010-2011. :D

This race is moving at a snails pace right now. The weather is generally nice and after the 3-day US holiday I figured it would have been busier. Maybe it's the lull before the storm :D

I picked up one of Islander's coins today. I'm waiting on it to be logged into the cache by an out of town cacher.. then I will grab it. Will also read the rules to make sure all are followed. This was an exciting find for me! : )

Welcome to the fun!!! Thanks for taking the time to wait and moving a racing butterfly on.

The standings are updated B)

So, a recent "Discovered it" log for one of my racers (TB3H1GK) stated that the cacher didn't realize my coin was in a race, or he/she/they would have moved it along.

This was Racer #6, the coins that were donated by oakcoins. Were these coins also drilled so that the racing tags could be attached? I assumed they were, and that this post was just another example of someone not really reading the information obviously present. But, I didn't want to jump to negative conclusions (I'm a tad cranky today), so I thought I'd get some confirmation.

Thanks for all the updates, Shilo!

So, a recent "Discovered it" log for one of my racers (TB3H1GK) stated that the cacher didn't realize my coin was in a race, or he/she/they would have moved it along.

This was Racer #6, the coins that were donated by oakcoins. Were these coins also drilled so that the racing tags could be attached? I assumed they were, and that this post was just another example of someone not really reading the information obviously present. But, I didn't want to jump to negative conclusions (I'm a tad cranky today), so I thought I'd get some confirmation.

Yes these coins were drilled and tagged just like the rest. The language on the tag can be seen on the PGR website.

Yes these coins were drilled and tagged just like the rest. The language on the tag can be seen on the PGR website.

Darn. That means my gut was correct: another geocacher with only an interest in 6-character tracking codes and not necessarily reading anything else! *sigh* Oh well. To each their own, I suppose, but I can't help feeling a little bit critical. :( Thanks for the clarification!

Thanks for all the updates Shilo..

Its been a slow race for my coins this year.. Hopefully the pace will pick up soon..

It's really been a slow race period, comparing to past years. The last 2 months have been painfully slow.

A couple racers have made big jumps but the majority haven't been moved very far. Maybe the cooler weather will bring out the cachers more. It was a pretty hot summer everywhere.

The standings are updated :)

I apologize for the long delay between updates.

I've been working 7 days a week and last Thursday I was Going Coastal for the weekend. I'm just catching up on this race and another I'm scoring.

Groundspeak's e-mail notification system went down sometime Friday evening until Saturday morning so if your racers mileage doesn't match the standing pages please let me know. I found 2 racers that I never received a log for.

BTW...if you are anywhere in the Southeast, mark your calenders for the 2nd weekend in November, 2011. You wont regret it!!! Going Coastal was a blast :D:D:D Might make an interesting launch for a future PGR race...hmmmm.

The standings are updated :D

Go, Peacock racer, GO!

Thanks for updating the standings. I check on my racers every now and again, although it's been fairly slow for my racers. BTW, I still have one of five racers from PGRIV going!

I've been slacking, which I'll try to improve. Not much movement considering the length between updates :(

I've got one from PGR II still going!!

Most our racers seem to be stalled.. Sadly most weren't even muggled, they are "in the hands of" I think 2 are newbies who took them and then never cached again. I sent a message to each of them but didn't get a responce. One was passed from one cacher to another and she never grabbed it. I was given her email address but she didn't respond to either of my messages. Sadly that was the one that was in the lead. I think 1 is in a cache that hasn't been visited in awhile so there is hope there. Somehow it seems worse to me to have coins picked up and held without any update then it does for them to just vanish. It does seem like the racers aren't doing much. I check the page when I can but since I get emails on all my coins (I don't have enough for that to be overwhelming.) I can see that only 1 or 2 of my coins has moved in awhile. I only have a couple besides the racers. I did hope the fun from this would last a little longer. It was really exciting for a short time.

Thank you for all the hard work and the updates.

I was talking to a local geocacher about Wolf's Song's GeoKid that was in Lousiana after she mentioned that she was going to New Orleans. She offered to rescue it since it had been sitting there since January 8th. She left the Houston area on Friday and was planning to stop for it that evening. When I saw a log that someone had picked it up pop up, I thought wow she drives fast. Only she wasn't there yet. Kind of funny since the cache hadn't had a visitor in over 2 months. Even funnier the cacher who picked it was headed to Texas so it ended up in the area. Interesting to think that it's very likely they passed each other on I-10.

How are everyone's racers doing?

It's a little less than two months till the end of this race, my first race, and I visited my racers' pages today to see how they're doing. More accurately, I saw how they AREN'T doing.

Here's the results:

Racer #1 : Picked up by a geocacher in late May 2010. The cache logged the coin, but not the cache he/she grabbed it from.

Racer #2 : Placed in it's first geocache 8 days after the race start, and disappeared!

Racer #3 : Place in a geocoin worm hole...I mean, TB Hotel, in August 2010 and a note written in September 2010 stated is was not there. I should probably mark it missing.

Racer #4 : Alive and well in France!

Racer #5 : Picked up in July 2010 with the note "I will make sure to help the coin win the race for 2010-2011!" I think my coin went to the same place as these good intentions?

Racer #6 : Placed in a cache in Portugal, which was disabled, along with my coin. The cache has since been replaced, but my coin never resurfaced.

So five out of six coins haven't been heard from since September 2010, which means they were only active for the first third of the race duration.

I AM happy to have one racer still going, and it is going pretty well in the mileage category! This is a bit disheartening for trackables and for geocaching in general, in my opinion. And yes, I was fully aware that there was a good chance I would never see these coins again before I entered the race, and I did not activate any coins in this race that I wasn't prepared to lose. However, it seems as though lately we can change the phrase from "you might not see them again" to "you will not see them again." Maybe I should find that thread with geocoin success stories?!

I agree Echo Echo.

The whole point of the race is to get geocoins out and traveling. This year seems to be worse than the past and I think its the influx of new cachers using smart phones and Tom Toms thinking caching would be easy. Although smart phones are getting better it does take some work to find caches with them over a hand held GPSr designed for off the road use.

Also, a lot of new cachers recently start caching for a couple weeks then stop for whatever reason and during this time often pick up trackables and forget them. I've had this happen to a couple of my personal geocoins.