Premier Geocoin Race V

Shilo

The heated standings are updated :(

Can tell the heat is on at the top as a garage fight had to be broken up yesterday :(

4 of the 9 racers left in the event page got retrieved today. The others were picked up but just not logged yet. Hopefully they will soon or at least show up in a cache somewhere.

Big race weekend here and in F1, Indianapolis and oh I guess Charlotte too :laughing:

Weird I haven't been able to see the standings update in about a week. Not sure if it's my computer or something else. I'm still seeing a top mileage of 609.8 miles.

Try hitting F5 or emptying your browser cache folder.

Other than that the standings don't update themselves, I have to enter them into my database(Excel), sort them and make .html files(button click) out of them, then ftp(a couple minute job) up to the site. Then I post here so you all know they are new. Rarely I will upload an update without posting only if I catch a mistake or its 1 or 2 small moves not making a lot of noise up at the top. So if its a week that is because of me. Not your pc.

Unfortunately my job is trying to kill me with 6 or 7 days a week and long hours. This week they added a 3rd shift so I'm down to 8 hour days so that will give me time to update more :laughing:

Also, if you see something wrong with your racer or dispute another racer(send $50.00 teardown fee, ok just kidding!!) please let me know here or PM. Sometimes Groundspeak's e-mail notification go down and I don't have time to go through every racer everyday to check on it.

Race on!!

Edited by Shilo

The mileage is all screwy for the racers. Will have to wait to update later.

Coins that got there first placement is showing mileage where it adds the total mileage up but not showing the distance traveled from cache to cache. Well all coins placed in the last 2 days are showing this. I use the distance from cache to cache as a reference to show me the total mileage has updated. Hopefully this will return to normal after the update is finished today. If not, its going to a lot harder to tell if mileage is updated or not.

If someone who owns a racer sees this please click recalculate mileage and see if the mileage from cache to cache comes back and let me know. None of my coins have moved recently for me to try this out. Thanks-)

Hey, Shilo!

So, one of my racers (Penny and Kona's PGR V Racer #4) was placed in a new cache yesterday.

When I clicked "recalculate mileage," my total miles changed but I did NOT see the distance from the previous cache to the current cache.

Not sure what the glitch is, but hopefully this is an example of what you were looking for...

That is it. I see someone started a topic about this but just got home so I will go read up and see what is happening. Thank you :blink:

The standings are updated :(

Special thanks to Jim(The Clermont, KY one) for the assistance tonight.

Weird I haven't been able to see the standings update in about a week. Not sure if it's my computer or something else. I'm still seeing a top mileage of 609.8 miles.

Your replacement racer is here!! And I know it has nothing to do with the above post I copy and pasted :D:blink:

Not worried about it in the least. We know you doing your best. It's a long way till the race ends. I'm sure there will be lots of glitches along the way. The racers did update for me a few days ago, but I haven't checked them since. We are just really enjoying seeing them move from place to place.

I'm glad you got the replacement. Sorry it took so long to send it. I wanted to buy another coin (that one was supposed to be for my collection) but I had some I'd reserved come in at the same time one I wanted really badly and I just couldn't swing it. That is the only problem with reserves instead of preorders, I can't always predict how funds will be when the marker comes due. But it's not like the that one isn't still ours. You know what they say about releasing it. Maybe it will come here for a visit someday. We'd be thrilled to see any of the race coins.

This may be old news to you Shilo, but it IS possible to see the between-cache distance. It used to appear on the main page of our geocoins. I have updated all of mine that have been moving, and only the overall distance changes on the main coin page.

If you click on the map to see the travels, the distance between each cache is shown. In other words, each leg that the coin has travelled has a mileage listed for the cache-to-cache distance.

I hope this does not make your updates more tedious...

The standings are updated :)

I've been out of the internet at the house since Saturday. SUPPOSE to be fixed today. I will update the standings when lovely AT&T figures out what is wrong.

So far its been a mystery. I apologize for the inconvenience.

This may be old news to you Shilo, but it IS possible to see the between-cache distance. It used to appear on the main page of our geocoins. I have updated all of mine that have been moving, and only the overall distance changes on the main coin page.

If you click on the map to see the travels, the distance between each cache is shown. In other words, each leg that the coin has travelled has a mileage listed for the cache-to-cache distance.

I hope this does not make your updates more tedious...

It is a GS issue and I'm trying to get them to acknowledge it. No luck.

It started June 2. And yes, it does add a little work for me. That is what all the dates are in the notes column on the standing pages. Just my record keeping -)

My geocoin's distance wont update & ive tried it like 10 or so times

:D

It is a Groundspeak issue and nothing I can do. It will usually update after someone retrieves the coin. If a recalculate mileage does work it won't update fully until sometime in the middle of the night. Sorry.

My geocoin's distance wont update & ive tried it like 10 or so times

:D

We've had that happen a few times, but it always straightens out sooner or later.

I’ve been sick (bronchitis) and it’s been great to watch the racer move. Not only our own but some of the others. I hate being stuck inside doing little or nothing. I really hope the new meds the Dr gave me will help. In the meantime I’ve been reading a lot of logs and trying a few puzzles.

The standings are updated ;)

Some big movements towards the top this time!!

We've had that happen a few times, but it always straightens out sooner or later.

Did you get a package in the mail from me last week?

Also, if your racer has a date in the notes column, the mileage is up to date but the cache to cache distance isn't showing. As soon as it gets retrieved, the cache to cache distance will show up. Sounds like a bug to me :blink:

Wow has it been that long? I've been so sick I didn't even realize. This race has been great for keeping my spirits up while I've been down. I really enjoy watching the racers move. I've been looking at some in the last race too. Hoping I can get out and do some geocaching soon. If any of the coins make it to the Houston area I'd love to hear about it and have a chance to move one. Does anyone know if there is a way for me to see where all of them are without looking at each one when it moves. Would a watchlist do that? Is there already one somewhere for them?

I also love hearing about the other coins. If any go to really cool places or get a great pic. I'd love if you posted here or PM'd me so I can look.

One of ours made it to GeoWoodstock too, and yes it was very cool. That one went to Canada too.

We also got a pic. of the one a pilot had. It's from the cockpit over Greenland with another plane passing 1000 feet below. He dropped it in Amsterdam after putting a lot of miles on it. He told us he actually took it back to the states before he made one of his trips but he didn't get to cache so it actually missed out on about 10,000 miles that it traveled. That is fun to know even if they don't count for the race. The race has barely started and our few coins have done as much as I'd hoped all of them together might do the entire race.

Sorry about the computer problems. Mines been giving me fits and it's bad enough, worse when the thing goes like yours. I hope you get it fixed in the fastest easiest way. I will look forward to seeing an update but in the meantime I'll just check a few every day to get my fix of where are all the racers. I wish some of the owners would post here when theirs does something fun or interesting. One of ours (Wolf's Song's World Traveler I think) is going to Yellowstone in a couple of weeks. I'm really hoping for some pictures. Fingers crossed. To me that is exciting. Money is tight right now so excitment for us is going to the Childrens Museum for there free day yesterday or doing a little geocaching close to home or not so fun going to one of Wolf Dancer's drs. Really exciting is making the 2 hour drive down to the beach. So seeing where the racers are is one of the highlights of our day or week. I guess that everyone else has more interesting things to do. I think that's great. Hopefully soon we will have better things to do too. Once it's not so hot and we can start longer hikes I know we will.

Good news!!!! I'm typing this on my fixed laptop :laughing::wacko::blink::blink:

Well sorta bad news. I have 82 logs to go through. Give me some time this evening and I will update as many as possible before I go out of town this weekend.

So nice to have my laptop and Linux back :lol:

Rules clarification since last Groundspeak update to the site:

The new log that 'cacher x "took" your racer' to a cache is a new way to dip trackables into and out of a geocache, and will not count as a placement log for the geocacher standings. You will get credit for a placement into a cache when your racer is 'placed' into a cache and left. As long as rule #2 is adhered to the mileage will count towards total mileage just as it has previously.

This rule change is slightly different to the way I was scoring placements by different geocachers in the past.

Questions and/or comments can be posted here.

The standings are updated :D

I'm sorry I'm confused. Are you saying that if they use the new "visited" feature instead of actually placing the coin in and retrieving it from the cache they logged that it won't count toward the mileage? Even if they got a smiley for the cache? I guess I never considered that there was a difference other than making it easier to dip a coin.

I'm sorry I'm confused. Are you saying that if they use the new "visited" feature instead of actually placing the coin in and retrieving it from the cache they logged that it won't count toward the mileage? Even if they got a smiley for the cache? I guess I never considered that there was a difference other than making it easier to dip a coin.

I guess we will all have to update our coin pages if that’s right because everyone will assume they can dip the coin the easy “new” way.

And here I was liking this new feature. Now not so sure. I think it’s going to be really hard to get people to read the coin page well enough to follow that rule. If I misunderstood and it’s the other way and it will still count that’s great to know.

oops my bad. I read it again and I think I've got it now. It will still count for milage but not for the number of geocachers moving the coin? They have to leave it and have someone else pick it up.

That makes sense. I'm leaving my other post just incase someone else is tired and misreads. Thank you.

Don't know what's happening with my coin that was doing so well. The person who picked it up has had it for almost a month and hasn't logged another cache. It looks like they go long periods of time without caching and then will do a few and take a break again. I'm hoping it will turn back up soon. In the meantime I've been enjoying watching some of our others move a bit. I'm going to check the standings and see what's been happening while my son was sick.

oops my bad. I read it again and I think I've got it now. It will still count for milage but not for the number of geocachers moving the coin? They have to leave it and have someone else pick it up.

That makes sense. I'm leaving my other post just incase someone else is tired and misreads. Thank you.

Don't know what's happening with my coin that was doing so well. The person who picked it up has had it for almost a month and hasn't logged another cache. It looks like they go long periods of time without caching and then will do a few and take a break again. I'm hoping it will turn back up soon. In the meantime I've been enjoying watching some of our others move a bit. I'm going to check the standings and see what's been happening while my son was sick.

Really no change at all. Only time you might see a difference is if someone took(dipped) your racer and then never places it then it gets 'grabbed' from another cacher. This rarely happens anyway.

And I forgot to upload the standings. They are updated now. Really :D

The standings are updated :)

The auto-update of the mileage broke on GS's website so I have 9 still waiting for the next movement to

update. Appears to be fixed now as racer's with movements the last 2 days have updated.

If you have a racer that has mileage not updated you can try the recalculate distance option and it should work now.

If you haven't had enough geocoin races, there is a rumor of another one starting at Geocoinfest next month. Keep an eye here if you're interested and I'll post a link :rolleyes:

I'm definitely interested - anything to get more coins out and moving! Will this be an option even if we aren't attending the event? Thanks for the heads-up, Shilo!

If you haven't had enough geocoin races, there is a rumor of another one starting at Geocoinfest next month. Keep an eye here if you're interested and I'll post a link :rolleyes:

I'm definitely interested - anything to get more coins out and moving! Will this be an option even if we aren't attending the event? Thanks for the heads-up, Shilo!

Yes, I believe so.