How Many Active Geocachers are there?

microvision

I have seen stats stating that there are something like 950,000 active geocaches in the world. But how many geocachers are there? How many members of geocaching.com are there? And can anyone estimate how many active (at least one cache find a year) geocachers are there now?

Just wondering...

You would have to define a timeframe to get a good answer

So, I will say 20

I have seen stats stating that there are something like 950,000 active geocaches in the world. But how many geocachers are there? How many members of geocaching.com are there? And can anyone estimate how many active (at least one cache find a year) geocachers are there now?

Just wondering...

As of today 543,087 registered members. Is at the bottom of the Groundspeak Forums page.

I believe the rest of your questions just may be unanswerable. :laughing:

Just wondering...

As of today 543,087 registered members. Is at the bottom of the Groundspeak Forums page.

I believe the rest of your questions just may be unanswerable. :laughing:

Thanks GG. How many other geocaching websites are there? I know Geocaching.com is the largest but I thought there were a few others as well. Do the add up to another 50,000 or do you think maybe more?

Just wondering...

I believe the rest of your questions just may be unanswerable. :o

Thanks GG. How many other geocaching websites are there? I know Geocaching.com is the largest but I thought there were a few others as well. Do the add up to another 50,000 or do you think maybe more?

Quite sure that the registered users are only for Geocaching.com/Groundspeak.com. I haven't a clue about any other sites. I try to keep myself as uncomplicated as possible. :laughing:

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

Actually, that number is only for the users who have ever visited the forums. The OP is user number 2.897,328. The total could be over 3 million by now. As to how many of those are active, I'd bet a whole lot less.

Hmmmmmmmm...

Perhaps, but I just checked the members search program, noting 543280 members, most listed as 'members', some as 'premium members', few as 'charter members'. Most of that entire list have never posted in Grounspeak Forums ever!

Dates of membership from today back through 2001!

I said "now" so you can assume I meant the most recent data, say for the year of 2009. But I am happy to receive any data. What time frame does your "20" refer to? Could it be the end of May, 2000?

It was for the exact pico second that I replied.

It's my understanding that Groundspeak declines to give exact stats but the first page at geocaching.com gives a pretty good idea.

Geocaching StatisticsThere are 984,103 active caches and an estimated 3-4 million geocachers worldwide. In the last 30 days, there have been 1,889,191 new logs submitted. Check out the recent logs or photos.

I believe they say "estimated 3-4 million because some people cache under a team account and may not be registered. It also includes the 347 personalities that are listed as "bittsen".

I said "now" so you can assume I meant the most recent data, say for the year of 2009. But I am happy to receive any data. What time frame does your "20" refer to? Could it be the end of May, 2000?

It was for the exact pico second that I replied.

It's my understanding that Groundspeak declines to give exact stats but the first page at geocaching.com gives a pretty good idea.

Geocaching StatisticsThere are 984,103 active caches and an estimated 3-4 million geocachers worldwide. In the last 30 days, there have been 1,889,191 new logs submitted. Check out the recent logs or photos.

I believe they say "estimated 3-4 million because some people cache under a team account and may not be registered. It also includes the 347 personalities that are listed as "bittsen".

Ouch! :laughing::o:surprise::o

That's alotta bittsen!

EDIT: highlighting.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

Just wondering...

So, I will say 20

You seem to be forgetting that geocaching is a worldwide activity, Bittsen. That would make it at least 24-25.

Just wondering...

So, I will say 20

You seem to be forgetting that geocaching is a worldwide activity, Bittsen. That would make it at least 24-25.

I didn't forget. It was a small pico second.

Just wondering...

So, I will say 20

I didn't forget. It was a small pico second.
I took that into consideration already.

Geocaching StatisticsThere are 984,103 active caches and an estimated 3-4 million geocachers worldwide.

That is very interesting. It would mean if they are all in the US, which they are not, then that would be about 1% of our population. It also mean that there are about 3 to 4 caches per geocacher.

Geocaching StatisticsThere are 984,103 active caches and an estimated 3-4 million geocachers worldwide.

That is very interesting. It would mean if they are all in the US, which they are not, then that would be about 1% of our population. It also mean that there are about 3 to 4 caches per geocacher.

Um, you have your numbers reversed.

3-4 geocachers per geocache.

Actually, that number is only for the users who have ever visited the forums. The OP is user number 2.897,328. The total could be over 3 million by now. As to how many of those are active, I'd bet a whole lot less.

Hmmmmmmmm...

Perhaps, but I just checked the members search program, noting 543280 members, most listed as 'members', some as 'premium members', few as 'charter members'. Most of that entire list have never posted in Grounspeak Forums ever!

That is correct, the 543,280 number represents only the number of members who have ever, at least once, looked at these forums. All you need to do is "look" at these forums, and you become a "registered member" (of the forums). That means only about 27% of Geocaching.com's almost 3,000,000 registered accounts have ever visited the forums.

I didn't notice, the number of accounts created will probably hit 3,000,000 this month. If you click on anyone's profile from here in these forums, the last number in the URL will be a consecutive decimal number, starting out with Jeremy Irish, founder of Geocaching.com in 2000, being numbers 2 and 3 (I have no idea what happened to number 1). Personally, I believe 50% of these accounts have never been used to find or hide a cache. Enter 100 random numbers in the URL, and I'll guarantee you at least 50 of them will be zero find, zero hide, one day visitors. People just signing up for an free account on a website.

"Active cachers" is impossible to define. What do you mean, 1 find per year? Every year, no matter when they joined? And I wouldn't consider 1 find a year very active. But I just pointed out a week or two ago that only 78,000 people worldwide have found more than 200 Geocaches, according to cacherstats.com. I'd say you have to be a pretty serious and active Geocacher to find 200 caches. That's really not a lot. 1/1000th of 1% of the world's population, maybe?

If you ever wondered why my name is TheWhiteUrkel, there you go. :ph34r:

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

Hmmmmmmmm...

But I just pointed out a week or two ago that only 78,000 people worldwide have found more than 200 Geocaches, according to cacherstats.com.

Really? I don't know why, but I just assumed that more people (maybe 500,000) had found at least a couple of hundred caches since they joined Geocache.com. I have to say that I'm quite surprised. Well, I have 146 logged finds, and if I continue on my current pace, I should easily pass the "200 mark" before the end of the year.

Edited by rocketsteve
On 2/7/2010 at 4:03 PM, knowschad said:

That is most certainly balogna! How silly it is to say there are only 24-25 geocachers, I reckon there must be at least a good 30.

Edited by marvin03
On 2/9/2010 at 10:02 PM, rocketsteve said:

Really? I don't know why, but I just assumed that more people (maybe 500,000) had found at least a couple of hundred caches since they joined Geocache.com. I have to say that I'm quite surprised. Well, I have 146 logged finds, and if I continue on my current pace, I should easily pass the "200 mark" before the end of the year.

I know quite a few people who started, found maybe one or two, then never found another cache. I am at around 500 though.

For questions like this, I tend to look at Project-GC Souvenir list. For each souvenir, they indicate how many cachers earned it. Looking at this past summer's Hidden Creatures, 437,311 people earned the Big Foot souvenir. Remember, you only had to find 1 geocache during the whole run of the promotion.

• Helpful 1