need help choosing vista HCx or gpsmap 60Cx

njjdallen

They are similar in many ways. The 60CSX gets the best reception of any unit I've ever used. The reception in the Vista HCX is good, but not quite up to the 60.

The Vista HCX has the advantage for hiking and backpacking thanks to its compact size

The 60CSX gets the nod for driving because the screen is slightly larger and the buttons are on the front. The Vista's buttons are on the side and difficult to operate when mounted in a vehicle.

The eTrex units are known for a problem where the rubber gasket the surrounds the unit comes lose. It is my experience that this is caused by leaving the unit in a hot car in the summer. I haven't had the problem since I stopped doing that.

You can't go wrong with either. If you are going to use it for automotive navigation I'd lean toward the 60

Both are excellent units with a similar feature set.

The 60CSX has long been considered the finest handheld GPS unit available. You just won't go wrong using this unit - especially for the same price. For car use - you will need to add some kind of autoroute mapping. Garmin City Navigator goes for around $80.

I did a lot of reading before I chose the Vista HCx, and even though both GPSr are pretty evenly matched, what really sold me was the compactness of the Vista HCx vs. the 6-inch tall profile of the 60CSx. When I'm out caching, it wouldn't be that big of a deal, but when I go hunting, I like to travel very light, so any additional size and weight, of my gear, is something I try to stay away from.

Edited by rocketsteve

Hello,

A lot of people are giving you a comparison of the CSX not the CX to the HCX. The biggest difference between the 60CX and the Vista HCX is the battery life (18 for the CX 25 for the HCX), Altimiter, and Electronic Compass (That the HCX has and the CX does not).

I personally would go for the Vista HCX, it has more for the money. Now if you were comparing the HCX with the 60CSX, I would recommend the CSX.

One other thing to remember is that neither of these units do paperless caching. If this is something you are interested in, then I would look at the Oregons and Dakotas and see what the price difference is between those. Otherwise you will need a PDA, Smart phone, or bring notes with the cache description and hints.

Good luck.

Edited for grammar: had the old double negative going

Edited by ao318
A lot of people are giving you a comparison of the CSX not the CX to the HCX. The biggest difference between the 60CX and the Vista HCX is the battery life (18 for the CX 25 for the HCX), Altimiter, and Electronic Compass (That the HCX have and the CX does not).

Good catch. I guess many of us automatically add the S in our heads when we see 60CX.

True that the Vista HCX has the electronic compass and barometric altimeter. If they are important features for the OP then that should be the clincher.

Hello,

A lot of people are giving you a comparison of the CSX not the CX to the HCX. The biggest difference between the 60CX and the Vista HCX is the battery life (18 for the CX 25 for the HCX), Altimiter, and Electronic Compass (That the HCX has and the CX does not).

I personally would go for the Vista HCX, it has more for the money. Now if you were comparing the HCX with the 60CSX, I would recommend the CSX.

One other thing to remember is that neither of these units do paperless caching. If this is something you are interested in, then I would look at the Oregons and Dakotas and see what the price difference is between those. Otherwise you will need a PDA, Smart phone, or bring notes with the cache description and hints.

Good luck.

Edited for grammar: had the old double negative going

thank you very much