Geocache Hiding Spot Pet Peeves

<snip>If you post a find and you provide to much info on the location of the cache they will delete your find. They even say that on the cache page. <snip>

The second has happen to me at lest once. I had to argue my case. And I re-posted my find.

Why do you feel that you should provide info on the location of the cache in your log?

I don't mean exact location. I'm talking about little clues or spoilers as the cache page says.

"Warning. Spoilers may be included in the descriptions or links."

I didn't give anything away and I wouldn't. But Some times if I can't find a cache I would read through the post and a clue or hint is given that will help.

My post they deleted said "The tape was not sticking and it may fall." To them it was grounds to delete.

Well, that would tell me that it wasn't on the ground and might be a big hint, depending on the hide. I'd probably not say anything in my log unless it had failed or was obviously about to . In that case I might say "attachment method" instead of "tape".

I wouldn't delete your log in any case unless I had intended it to be a tricky hide but I try to keep in mind when logging that some folks are wound a bit tighter than others. Any specific concerns I'll usually convey to the CO via email if I think they're noteworthy. I like those extra hints in logs at times but sometimes they can truly spoil the fun & it's all about the fun :ph34r:

Oh, one other peeve.

People that program their Geocache account to send a text to their phone when a new cache has been placed. Two different people in my area have more than 10 FTFs in the last few months because of this. One of them at a meeting even blurted out that, they got a text late one night and so they ran out in their PJs to get the FTF. I like geocaching but I also have a life.

And this bothers you, why?

Edit: Never mind. That post was off-topic anyway. This thread is about hiding spots, not caching clothing.

Edited by knowschad
Oh, one other peeve.

People that program their Geocache account to send a text to their phone when a new cache has been placed. Two different people in my area have more than 10 FTFs in the last few months because of this. One of them at a meeting even blurted out that, they got a text late one night and so they ran out in their PJs to get the FTF. I like geocaching but I also have a life.

And this bothers you, why?

Edit: Never mind. That post was off-topic anyway. This thread is about hiding spots, not caching clothing.

I had written a response but then saw your "Never mind." I Agree. I don't want to be a complainer but a contributor.

I believe there is a strong correlation between premium members (those who support Groundspeak) and a proliferation of inappropriate caches. "Power cachers" love easy access caches to pad their stats. Nearly every "bomb squad stroy" involves caches on my personal inappropriate list. Groundspeak has never made any changes regarding the regulation of these caches, because it "bites the hand" that feeds them.

Interesting. As a premium member, am I for or against those caches that you hate?

<snip> mentioning that I walked away because fifty year old bald guys have no business messing around with playground equipment.
Who was the one that decided that adults shouldn't enjoy playing on playgrounds? That's just unfair!!

I think the last time I actually played on playground equipment I was almost 30. My kids loved that I would play just like they did.

There even used to be a place where kids could eat pizza and then do the indoor jungle gym thing. Parents were welcome to play on the equipment too. My kids loved it when their grandpa would go in there. ALL the kids loved it when the 50yo bald guy was playing in the ball pit.

Ah, but you were accompanied by the kids. If you were a 20 something mom with your three or four year old kids on the playground equipment how would you feel if you showed up and started poking around looking for something on that same equipment?

I think that the problem is that people feel that they absolutely must look for a cache, even if there are nearby muggles. That's a problem with the 'finder' end, not with the 'hider'.

For me, the worst place is within a ten foot radius of poison oak. These hides are especially bad this time of year because the foliage is gone (the warning leaves of three) and just shiny harmless looking sticks are showing. Anytime (well, to be honest, most of the time :ph34r: ) I'll pass up caches hidden anywhere near poison oak.
I'm not allergic to that plant. Therefore, I pay no attention to it. This would result in my possibly hiding a cache within it.
When I arrive at a location and find that the cache is hidden on playground equipment I leave. I log a DNF on the cache mentioning that I walked away because fifty year old bald guys have no business messing around with playground equipment.
And, I put the CO on my ignore list.
Yeah it was cute when my kid was a great excuse to hang out near the jungle gym. Now it's just creepy. What I hate most is that you might have wasted a bunch of time going to do that one cache only to find it was at one of those places when you could have been spending time at another location.
Sometimes, the cache is not available to be searched for when you get there, so you have to move on to another one or find something else to do. That is true of every cache, not just those hidden in playgrounds.

Just because you can get to a cache location doesn't mean that you are forced to search for it. Certainly the minute that you would have searched for that playground cache doesn't make or break your day's enjoyment.

Ever found or hunted for a geocache that was hidden in an area that was less than appropriate or made you uncomfortable? I hunted for one that was hidden somewhere on a children's playground INSIDE a piece of playground equipment! Yeah that's just what I want to be doing. A grown man skulking around a playground carrying a piece of electronic equipment looking up under the kiddie slide doesn't look suspicious at all. Please stop hiding geocaches in places like this!!!

The cache is fine. The owner should know though that kids are good at finding stuff like this and that it is likely to come up missing fast. That's one key issue with playground equipment caches.

That you feel uncomfortable in this part of the larger world is a different thing. You aren't alone, but it's not the caches fault.

My closest thing to a cache hiding peeve would be ones placed in or near dog parks. I really hate stepping in doo-doo and having to smell it while I crawl around looking for the cache... just not worth it. I can understand doggie people liking these hides though, but I am a cat person and I would NEVER ask someone to search the litter box for plastic toys. That's just gross! :tongue:

As in all things, I do some research before I embark on a hunt, and if I don't like the area or the setting I simply don't search for it. End of story. Same goes for when I get to the area of a cache. If I am not comfortable I simply move on.

When I arrive at a location and find that the cache is hidden on playground equipment I leave. I log a DNF on the cache mentioning that I walked away because fifty year old bald guys have no business messing around with playground equipment.
And, I put the CO on my ignore list.
Yeah it was cute when my kid was a great excuse to hang out near the jungle gym. Now it's just creepy. What I hate most is that you might have wasted a bunch of time going to do that one cache only to find it was at one of those places when you could have been spending time at another location.
Sometimes, the cache is not available to be searched for when you get there, so you have to move on to another one or find something else to do. That is true of every cache, not just those hidden in playgrounds.

Just because you can get to a cache location doesn't mean that you are forced to search for it. Certainly the minute that you would have searched for that playground cache doesn't make or break your day's enjoyment.

Ever found or hunted for a geocache that was hidden in an area that was less than appropriate or made you uncomfortable? I hunted for one that was hidden somewhere on a children's playground INSIDE a piece of playground equipment! Yeah that's just what I want to be doing. A grown man skulking around a playground carrying a piece of electronic equipment looking up under the kiddie slide doesn't look suspicious at all. Please stop hiding geocaches in places like this!!!

The cache is fine. The owner should know though that kids are good at finding stuff like this and that it is likely to come up missing fast. That's one key issue with playground equipment caches.

That you feel uncomfortable in this part of the larger world is a different thing. You aren't alone, but it's not the caches fault.

Relax guys. These are just our own pet peeves. I'm sure you have some of your own.

Sbell. How is that baby doing?

Dirty diapers could be a pet peeve. How does all that come out of one baby?

1. Cemeteries. The first time it just felt odd rooting around in a cemetery. The second (and last) time I was poking around the back corner when a funeral procession was coming through the gate. Awkward!

2. Rock Garden Caches. Especially in TX. One too many scorpion bites.

When that happens, just lay down like you belong there

:tongue:

1. Cemeteries. The first time it just felt odd rooting around in a cemetery. The second (and last) time I was poking around the back corner when a funeral procession was coming through the gate. Awkward!

I just today learned that at night a blacklight flashlight makes 'em fluoresce.

Edit to add this link.

Edited by GOF & Bacall

I agree with "Trucker Lee" above, and he must know what he's talking about: caches that are hidden near busy streets or highways, without a clue as to where to safely park. Although we usually cache with other adults, we do sometimes take our young grandchildren along, and I get nervous if the cache requires the searcher to look right along the curb where cars are going by a few feet away. There are so many distracted drivers around, and of course when in the "geocaching state of mind" we cachers may just be focused on the search and not on our safety.

If the cache is hidden a safe distance from traffic, seems like the CO might add a note in the description such as "not within three feet of street" or similar wording.

I agree with "Trucker Lee" above, and he must know what he's talking about: caches that are hidden near busy streets or highways, without a clue as to where to safely park. Although we usually cache with other adults, we do sometimes take our young grandchildren along, and I get nervous if the cache requires the searcher to look right along the curb where cars are going by a few feet away. There are so many distracted drivers around, and of course when in the "geocaching state of mind" we cachers may just be focused on the search and not on our safety.

If the cache is hidden a safe distance from traffic, seems like the CO might add a note in the description such as "not within three feet of street" or similar wording.

As I go through my daily life, I often find myself going places that I have never been before. Each time this happens, I am forced to find a place to park, all by myself, without assistance. I take finding a place to park as an integral part of the driving experience. If I was not willing to accept this parking challenge, I should not be driving. It makes no difference whether my final intention is to buy a pair of socks, see a show, or find a geocache.

Similarly, the responsibility to keep myself and my family reasonably safe is mine alone. I do not rely on internet strangers to ensure my safety.

Therefore, these issues do not peeve me. Those caches that I cannot find, however, should be banninated.

I dislike caches that put me in plain view of homes or businesses. I particularly dislike the ones near homes where the the dogs start barking (it always seems these houses have 2 or more dogs) as soon as you approach GZ.

We tried to find one today that led us way up a hill and right next to someone's back yard. The owner came out with her dog, who of course started charging the fence and barking like mad. We trudged back down the hill quite disappointed. It felt like we were skulking around in her back yard, didn't like it at all :)

I HATE playground hides! Yes, I have found a few but have passed up many. However I've gotten to the point that if someone really wants to place one in a playground, I may announce to an adult that I'm taking part in a scavanger hunt and show them and the kids what I've found. This way it breaks the tension and pretty much guarantees that at least some of the visitors know it's there. Personally, if it gets Muggled, bummer! but should it be there in the first place?

I've seen hides in the middle of busy intersections ON THE ROADWAY, Ivy and bush hides in plain view of office and residential windows, private property hides without the property owners concent or knowledge, I've even found a cache under a lamp post skirt in a Walmart parking lot!!!! :laughing:

I'll have to say though that the one cache that made me the most uncomfortable was an ammo can hide miles from civilization on a ledge with about a 400 foot vertical drop, under a magnificant balancing rock. Awesome spot but for the first time in my caching adventures, I was actually very nervous. LOVED IT!

Wow.. I LOVE Cemetery hides! I'll often go way out of my way to seek them passing up tons of P&G's along the way.

Please don't place caches near:

1) In bushes near school grounds. Seeking permission for the school isn't enough because you will likely end up in a fist fight with some parent or school official not aware of geocaching and isn't.

2) Near areas that are highly sensitive to folks calling the police. This may include, but not limited to power stations, water treatment plants, stadiums, theaters, schools, bus stops, trash cans on city streets fire hydrants, fire stations, police stations, etc.

I've had one instance of having to be detained and all but shy of harassed by law enforcement because a couple of caches.

Stealth and timing will help in some situation, but really, it doesn't matter what time or how skilled you are, you just might face the issue.

I'll have to say though that the one cache that made me the most uncomfortable was an ammo can hide miles from civilization on a ledge with about a 400 foot vertical drop, under a magnificant balancing rock.

Just what you said . . . . and good idea about announcing yourself at a playground. But even worse than those ammo can hides that require nine mile hikes and nearly impossible bushwhacking and rock scrambling to get you to a narrow ledge are the ones with long hikes and micros hidden under moss. Or the ones that require you to solve a puzzle after doing the long hike and finding the micro. Who would do a thing like that?

But yes, playgrounds, juniper hides, hides next to yards with barking dogs, hides placed in front of houses with neighborhood watch signs all around, caches left on the sidewalk next to someone's business, caches in a pile of garbage, caches surrounded by no parking, caches on rural roads that are placed right in front of the only house for miles, caches with all of the above and the coordinates 60 feet off . . . . I suppose to somebody these were all spots crying out for a cache.

Edited by Erickson
I'll have to say though that the one cache that made me the most uncomfortable was an ammo can hide miles from civilization on a ledge with about a 400 foot vertical drop, under a magnificant balancing rock. Awesome spot but for the first time in my caching adventures, I was actually very nervous. LOVED IT!

That's the kind of cache I will go out of my way to hunt. :lol:

I do have to throw in a defense for playground hides. My mom friends and I LOVE playground caches because we can look at them while our kiddos run around on the playground. If it's one that takes a lot of concentration we'll take turns looking.

I have a micro hidden by a playground. I actually wanted to hide something bigger but there was just no cover at all (it took me an hour just to figure out a good placement for my micro). Finders without children simply look for it at times that there aren't children playing.

I can see where it would be annoying if you are trying to keep an area clear and you have to come back later, but just think of how excited mom cachers are to have the opportunity to get a cache while their children are so effortlessly entertained :lol:

I do have to throw in a defense for playground hides. My mom friends and I LOVE playground caches because we can look at them while our kiddos run around on the playground. If it's one that takes a lot of concentration we'll take turns looking.

I have a micro hidden by a playground. I actually wanted to hide something bigger but there was just no cover at all (it took me an hour just to figure out a good placement for my micro). Finders without children simply look for it at times that there aren't children playing.

I can see where it would be annoying if you are trying to keep an area clear and you have to come back later, but just think of how excited mom cachers are to have the opportunity to get a cache while their children are so effortlessly entertained :D

Hmppff! ;) Thats hardly fair. :lol: People look at women hanging around a playground and try to figure out which kids are theirs. People look at a man hanging around a playground and try to figure out which kids are their "mark".

My kids are too big to take to the playground! But my grandchildren will certainly make a good "cover" :D

Wonder if I could borrow some kids???

I did a couple of caches alone last year and ended up in two seperate homeless camps. Nothing like carrying hundreds of dollars of electronic equipment (gps, cell phone, etc) through a group of deperate looking strangers that obviously wanted to stay hidden. I kept thinking all the time about how far I had wandered off the path and if my husband knew I went caching. Wish the CO wold have made a note about it so I wouldn't have gone alone. You men may look creepy around playgrounds, but us women have it rough out alone. Scared me bad enough to get a boxer pup and now he is grown enough to go out with me. He at least takes the giant target off me.

I have found some for which I was not thrilled with the location but was still willing to get them. There are others that I simply passed on because I seriously did not like the location for one reason or another. I don't have to hunt them all, I only hunt the ones I want. If I find the location too uncomfortable, I go on to the next cache.

I 'm gonna respond to a few of these at once.

Two types " chip my concrete "

In ivy plants.

In a redwood forest full of stumps and dead-falls and the hint is ... in / near / under a stump Riiiiiiiiiiiggggghhhht

To top it off, there is usually enough trees left in the area to degrade your signal enough to widen your search area to 3-4 clusters of stumps/deadfalls.

I just today learned that at night a blacklight flashlight makes 'em fluoresce.

Edit to add this link.

Glad you added the link. I was trying to figure out if the scorpions floresced ? Or the Bodies? :lol:

It bugs me when a cache is described as "Park and Grab" and the nearest legal parking is a block away.

You mean like a mile away, right? I mean a block is only a few hundred feet. :D Now if it's listed as a drive-thru cache I totally agree with you. ;)

Here in Vegas, a block usually is a mile or two (at least).

That's the kind of cache I will go out of my way to hunt. :D

me too... B)

I did a couple of caches alone last year and ended up in two seperate homeless camps. Nothing like carrying hundreds of dollars of electronic equipment (gps, cell phone, etc) through a group of deperate looking strangers that obviously wanted to stay hidden. I kept thinking all the time about how far I had wandered off the path and if my husband knew I went caching. Wish the CO wold have made a note about it so I wouldn't have gone alone...

Homeless camps come and go quite frequently. Many last for only weeks or even days. How long has the cache been there? I agree with many posters here. If you're not comfortable, turn around and walk away. There's almost 1,000,000 other caches for you to search for.

At this point, i'll hunt for almost anything. With only 100 finds, the only thing that has gotten old is lamp posts. However; they have a place too. We did a couple of them while waiting for a movie recently. My peeve, at this point, is caches that contain a description '...had a container with me, threw it down...' I enjoy a good hike, a cunning puzzle, or your view to die for. My favorite is a clever hide that makes me get creative. Give me a reason to be here. 'There wasn't a cache for 528 ft' (in my opinion) needs help.

I did a couple of caches alone last year and ended up in two seperate homeless camps. Nothing like carrying hundreds of dollars of electronic equipment (gps, cell phone, etc) through a group of deperate looking strangers that obviously wanted to stay hidden. I kept thinking all the time about how far I had wandered off the path and if my husband knew I went caching. Wish the CO wold have made a note about it so I wouldn't have gone alone. You men may look creepy around playgrounds, but us women have it rough out alone. Scared me bad enough to get a boxer pup and now he is grown enough to go out with me. He at least takes the giant target off me.

I can certainly understand where you are coming from. I have found myself in similar situations with my job, and I am 6'2 245. :lol: Sheer numbers of people like you describe overcome my size real quick.

My response to Opalblade was not meant to be chauvinistic. I was just pointing out public perception. What you describe fits in perfectly!! :D

Funny thing about Boxers, when they are full grown they have that "intimidating" look. Having had one in the past they are probably the most gentle, loyal, sweetest disposition dogs I have ever owned.

Please don't place caches near:

1) In bushes near school grounds. Seeking permission for the school isn't enough because you will likely end up in a fist fight with some parent or school official not aware of geocaching and isn't.

2) Near areas that are highly sensitive to folks calling the police. This may include, but not limited to power stations, water treatment plants, stadiums, theaters, schools, bus stops, trash cans on city streets fire hydrants, fire stations, police stations, etc.

I've had one instance of having to be detained and all but shy of harassed by law enforcement because a couple of caches.

Stealth and timing will help in some situation, but really, it doesn't matter what time or how skilled you are, you just might face the issue.

While not every hider reads and/or obeys the guidelines, and the reviewer can't possibly catch all violations of those guidelines, both of the situations that you mention are already covered, or at least implied (perhaps not every example in your 2nd list, but most)

You know, nothing in the world can "make you" go search after any cache out there. Realizing that it is ok to walk away when you uncomfortable with any aspect of a hide is the first step to enjoying the activity much more.

Hey, maybe something could "Make you" go searching for caches you hate. Maybe that could be the basis of Die Hard 5 "Death Caching". Sounds like a good movie!

You know, nothing in the world can "make you" go search after any cache out there. Realizing that it is ok to walk away when you uncomfortable with any aspect of a hide is the first step to enjoying the activity much more.

Hey, maybe something could "Make you" go searching for caches you hate. Maybe that could be the basis of Die Hard 5 "Death Caching". Sounds like a good movie!

That would work so much better as a "Speed" sequel mixed with "24".

That would work so much better as a "Speed" sequel mixed with "24".

I was thinking of the die hard where he went around the city dissabling bombs by soliving puzzles (get exactly 4 gallons of water into this 5 gallon jug using just the 5 gallon jug and this 3 gallon jug). I think it was Die Hard with a Vengence.

I can certainly understand where you are coming from. I have found myself in similar situations with my job, and I am 6'2 245. :blink: Sheer numbers of people like you describe overcome my size real quick.

My response to Opalblade was not meant to be chauvinistic. I was just pointing out public perception. What you describe fits in perfectly!! :shocked:

Funny thing about Boxers, when they are full grown they have that "intimidating" look. Having had one in the past they are probably the most gentle, loyal, sweetest disposition dogs I have ever owned.

Of course both times I made a u-turn and hiked out asap. With kids, a boxer has solved our problem and is still gentle enough to be the family dog. We did tons of research first and took him to doggie school. Now he is a cashmaniac. Can't wait for good weather to do more than just a couple at a time. He has a pack that he just grew into...gonna get some patches and be really nerdy. For now he keeps me company and at 57 pounds at just 8 months, people actually cross the street to avoid my less than 5ft self trying to control him. Makes me laugh...he just wants to play...but they don't know...

<snip>If you post a find and you provide to much info on the location of the cache they will delete your find. They even say that on the cache page. <snip>

The second has happen to me at lest once. I had to argue my case. And I re-posted my find.

Why do you feel that you should provide info on the location of the cache in your log?

I don't mean exact location. I'm talking about little clues or spoilers as the cache page says.

"Warning. Spoilers may be included in the descriptions or links."

I didn't give anything away and I wouldn't. But Some times if I can't find a cache I would read through the post and a clue or hint is given that will help.

My post they deleted said "The tape was not sticking and it may fall." To them it was grounds to delete.

PET PEEVE!

I logged a find recently and mentioned that i thought it might be somewhat unsafe to put a cache in electrical boxes - i didnt explicitly state the location, i said "this location might be seen as unsafe for young children or people in general" and my log got deleted by the OC. :blink:

Also, i was called "rude" by other GC's because i made mention of a cache that was put in a wash (we have huge flash flooding issues in arizona and washes can be extremely dangerous)... anyway, the wash destroyed the cache and it spilled the contents into tons of slush and mud and got washed away. So i go online to report it - and log my find despite it being destroyed, and i got called "rude."

seriously?!

Didnt i read somewhere that placing caches near electrical things is a bad idea or bad GC etiquette? There are plenty of SAFE areas to hide, and you pick an electrical box... or a place commonly inhabited by homeless people. or flashflood area. etc etc.

</rant>

Anything residential, or better yet anything urban for that matter. Nothing like a neighbor coming out to your location wearing his wrongly/half buttoned flannel shirt with his Old Milwaukee in one hand and his pistol in the other and starting the dialog with "what the xxxx you doing out here sparky?".

Edited by Pipeline Putters

My kids are too big to take to the playground! But my grandchildren will certainly make a good "cover" B)

Wonder if I could borrow some kids???

In another thread you said you had a carload of them... and let them go!

Now you want more? Of course they may have be 'age-expired' to be fair!

Doug