APRS, Amateur Radio

trackNV

I am a new member to geocaching, I am an Amateur Radio operator and it is in a few ways geocaching is similar to foxhunting with hidden trasmitters except for the large difference of no signal to track. Are there any other Hams out there if so have you implemented APRS into geocaching for situational awareness, as some places are more out of the way? I am setting up a Kenwood TM 710A with a small ACER and UI-View software and it seems to work pretty good. The kenwwod is great when there is no cell signal for sending short email messages and the mapping is great to note information such as landmarks and weather info for SKYWARN on excursions out away from town. Always looking for more information. 73's

As you can see by the traffic (posts) to the GPS and Ham Radio topic having your post moved there is pretty much the kiss of death, but that's where this one is likely to be moved.

I've thought about combining geocaching and ham radio by hiding a fox transmitter in a geocache so that the cache could be found by GPS or RDF (radio direction finding) but I know a lot of hams and a lot of geocachers and for whatever reason know very few who do both.

Perhaps a geocache that contains a kit to build an inexpensive fox receiver and a directional antenna made from a tape rule would inspire a few geocachers to give radio a try.

I'm not sure I see how APRS would play into geocaching.

73 de W4AGA

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

I am a new member to geocaching, I am an Amateur Radio operator and it is in a few ways geocaching is similar to foxhunting with hidden trasmitters except for the large difference of no signal to track. Are there any other Hams out there if so have you implemented APRS into geocaching for situational awareness, as some places are more out of the way? I am setting up a Kenwood TM 710A with a small ACER and UI-View software and it seems to work pretty good. The kenwwod is great when there is no cell signal for sending short email messages and the mapping is great to note information such as landmarks and weather info for SKYWARN on excursions out away from town. Always looking for more information. 73's

trackNV, Welcome to the hobby. I have been geocaching for 9 years now. From time to time I do turn on my D700 when I am out caching. You will find my status text reflects it when I am. I have not used it for situation awareness when I am caching though. I mainly have APRS on just to let my area know what I am up to and promote geocaching.

That said, when I was shopping for a new GPS to replace my GPSMap 76, I made sure to get one that has the same connector as the GPSMap 76 and my GPS II+. It is ready to work with my D700 and D7A. I went with a GPS Map60CSx.

Guy

Hello dear fellow ham radio operators,

If anyone is interessted there is a new project running that combines APRS and GeoCaching, see here https://www.socialhams.net/m/documents/view/socialhams-APRSCaching

vy 73 de Andreas

OE8APR

How is this anything like geocaching?

What is a "so called cache"?

"Basically the APRS Caching system resembles the main features of GeoCaching. There are so called caches, which have to be searched for by the logger. After having found the cache the logger can make an entry in the logbook. The difference between APRS Caching and GeoCaching is that the logbook entry is carried out by APRS. This makes it possible to verify the logger’s actual presence at the coordinates of the cache."