Garmin Custom Maps Question

Some time back I found an application put together by some clever soul that uses Bing maps in a GUI to produce the correct size tiles for custom maps: It looks like this:-

Capture.JPG

I downloaded it but now can't find the thread or forum I got it from if anyone can help?

The reason I am looking for it is I wonder if anyone who is using it has worked out the correct sums for adding/subtracting from lat and longs to produce a series of joined tiles to cover an area without overlaps or gaps between.

many thanks

To build on Bruce's original question I have been using this great little utility for a while and it's really great - brilliant work Madproforg many thanks.

Does anyone know how many of these tiles you can upload onto an Oregon? I've managed over 50 so far, by loading them onto a micro card, but I understand there's a limit. GarminOregonWiki says it's 100 jpg files, but as I understand it each of Mapfrog's kmz files are made up of 16 jpegs so how come I can save >50?

Confused :laughing:

I think this might run against MICROSOFT® BING™ MAPS PLATFORM API’s TERMS OF USE. Not surprisingly, they don't want folks to "copy, store, archive, or create a database of the content," or to "change, obscure or remove any search box or any portion of the results, including, without limitation, any logo, trademark, copyright or other notice of Microsoft or its suppliers..."

Not like MS will sue you over personal use, but Groundspeak's mods might frown on the "how-to" discussion here. Remember, those same legal-eagles censored the name of a program they don't like in forum discussions.

Edited by lee_rimar