Scout Troup Caches

knowschad

As a scout leader, I'm a little offended by the implication in this thread that scouts and their leaders require more education in this activity than everyone else does.

You shouldn't be offended by the perceptions that other's experiences have taught them. You should be offended that there are so many bad examples that are providing that perception,

I will say that most of my own negative experiences with scout caches were prior to the merit badge initiative. Perhaps it is improving.

It's also worth mentioning that Boy Scouts begins in sixth grade, age 11 or 12, potential rare cases of 10 years. So this isn't encouraging 7 year olds to hide caches.

How are 11 and 12 year olds expected to maintain their caches? Pre-16-year olds don't drive. Are the caches within easy walking distance of the camp? Are the children given time to go out to check on the caches when they come to camp for events? Are the children given supplies to maintain the cache or are they expected to provide their own supplies (swag, logbook, pencil, water tight container, baggies)

What lesson are they getting wrt hiding a cache that they can't get by finding caches?

It's also worth mentioning that Boy Scouts begins in sixth grade, age 11 or 12, potential rare cases of 10 years. So this isn't encouraging 7 year olds to hide caches.

How are 11 and 12 year olds expected to maintain their caches? Pre-16-year olds don't drive. Are the caches within easy walking distance of the camp? Are the children given time to go out to check on the caches when they come to camp for events? Are the children given supplies to maintain the cache or are they expected to provide their own supplies (swag, logbook, pencil, water tight container, baggies)

Why can't a cache be within walking distance of your house if there's an appropriate spot? Or biking distance? I biked miles and miles every day at that age. Most people only venture to their caches when there's a reported issue. Where does it say the scout can't have a parent drive him as part of his submitted maintenance plan? I imagine they provide their own supplies, just like they do when they have to build a birdhouse or paint a picture or tie a fly.

What lesson are they getting wrt hiding a cache that they can't get by finding caches?

That it's not as easy as it seems? That it takes a lot of time and work, and there are rules you have to follow?

Edited by Dinoprophet

I agree with NiraD that the BSA encourages children to hide caches. BSA should also be aware that the Terms of Use for the geocaching site says:

By using the Site, you represent and warrant that you are 18 years of age or older. If we believe that you are under 18 years of age, please be advised that your account may be terminated without warning.

Here is Groundspeak's response to that:

In these terms, we expect that if a person is under the age of 18 they will have adult supervision - for instance a Scout Leader. We do not see any problem with your scouts creating accounts as long as when they are used they have supervision.

I hope this helps, please let us know if you have further questions or concerns.

Happy Caching!

I agree with NiraD that the BSA encourages children to hide caches. BSA should also be aware that the Terms of Use for the geocaching site says:

By using the Site, you represent and warrant that you are 18 years of age or older. If we believe that you are under 18 years of age, please be advised that your account may be terminated without warning.

Here is Groundspeak's response to that:

In these terms, we expect that if a person is under the age of 18 they will have adult supervision - for instance a Scout Leader. We do not see any problem with your scouts creating accounts as long as when they are used they have supervision.

I hope this helps, please let us know if you have further questions or concerns.

Happy Caching!

The problem comes from when that adult supervision - for instance, a Scout Leader - is doing the supervision primarily so the scouts can hide a geocache, without any real, personal, long-term interest in geocaching. When that adult is already a sincere geocacher, I have seen no problems. They will maintain the cache themselves if they need to. Unfortunately, all too often, that isn't the case.

The problem comes from when that adult supervision - for instance, a Scout Leader - is doing the supervision primarily so the scouts can hide a geocache, without any real, personal, long-term interest in geocaching. When that adult is already a sincere geocacher, I have seen no problems. They will maintain the cache themselves if they need to. Unfortunately, all too often, that isn't the case.

That horse has already been beat to a pulp here and nobody is going to be changing their minds. I was simply responding to Lone R's post about the age limits in the ToS with what Groundspeak told me.

That horse has already been beat to a pulp here and nobody is going to be changing their minds. I was simply responding to Lone R's post about the age limits in the ToS with what Groundspeak told me.

"That horse" is the subject of this thread. A few people have said that this thread has indeed changed their thinking.

The October issue of Boys Life has an article Cache Me if You Can on pp. 26-29. It describes a Colorado Scout Troop traversing a GeoFox course using GPS and radios.

It also has linked info:

- Geocaching takes you on a modern-day treasure hunt

http://boyslife.org/outdoors/outdoorarticles/9173/geocaching-takes-you-on-a-modern-day-treasure-hunt/

- video Watch as Colorado Scouts navigate the GeoFox Course http://boyslife.org/video-audio/22967/watch-as-colorado-scouts-navigate-the-geofox-course/

Whether one takes this as more 'there goes the neighborhood' news or as a 'wow, an opportunity to engage a new generation of geocachers' is entirely up to you.

Cheers,