New subcategory for "states/provinces" in Poland

Mosznir

Is it any possibility to make subcategory for states/provines in Poland ? We have 1150 geocaches, maybe not many, but we still trying to improve our geocaching infrastructure.

We have 16 provinces/states in Poland, searching geocachces with this feature will be easier for us.

We discussed about it on our Polish forum, and most of us want to change currently situation.

I think that change will be easier now, when we have not many caches.

If it is impossible now, how many geocaches should be in Poland to make this ? Slovakia have almost 3000 and they have it.

Regards.

Edited by Mosznir
I agree with Mosznir. Poland is quite big European country so introduce provinces in Polish cache listings will be very handy for us. Polish geocachers who I've been talking to generally agree with this idea.

Just as a counterweight to this: France has almost twice the surface area of Poland and 15.000 caches, and I haven't seen any request among the French community for this.

Apart from possibly making it easier for reviewers to split up the country, I genuinely do not understand the point of such a subdivision. Do people actively avoid looking for a cache 5km from their home because it happens to be just over some local government boundary?

Why not have it available for every country? Technically It isn't a big deal, the database structure is already in place because you have the states in US.

What is needed are lists of regions for every country in the world and that is something that the geocachers easily would help with creating.

The biggest problem is to add the region code to all existing caches, something that would be the responsibility for the cache owner.

Just as a counterweight to this: France has almost twice the surface area of Poland and 15.000 caches, and I haven't seen any request among the French community for this.

Apart from possibly making it easier for reviewers to split up the country, I genuinely do not understand the point of such a subdivision. Do people actively avoid looking for a cache 5km from their home because it happens to be just over some local government boundary?

But is there any reason why you, as an end user, are opposeed a state / region category for France?

Just wondering if there's any downside I haven't considered.

Edited by Chrysalides
But is there any reason why you, as an end user, are opposeed a state / region category for France?

Just wondering if there's any downside I haven't considered.

Well, apart from the reason of principle which I gave - that is, we don't need more artificial boundaries, the ones we have are bad enough - there's also a number of practical issues.

France is divided into 26 regions, four of which are thousands of kilometres from Paris. They were created by a succession of political initiatives during the 20th century.

Far more people identify with their département. There are nearly 100 of these. That's a heck of a dropdown list. Each département is about twice as large as a US county. Should US states be further divided into counties? If so, should French départements be further subdivided, and if so, should that be into arrondissements, canton, comunautés de communes, or communes?

Once you've fixed all that, have a look at what happened in the UK. The issues around counties were so complex, and the counties were so numerous, that it was decided to go with regions. But, although the UK does officially have government regions, nobody identifies with them - I doubt if 1% of the population could name the region in which they live. So artificial, Geocaching-only regions were created. This means that even if you're the kind of person who absolutely has to have found, or possess a database of, all the caches in "my region", it's a region that you don't recognise.

Really, the only reason I can think of to say which country a cache is in, never mind which region, is in case of legal issues. But then I haven't lived in the country of which I'm a citizen for nearly 30 years, so that sort of thing stopped being important for me a long time ago.

The biggest problem is to add the region code to all existing caches, something that would be the responsibility for the cache owner.

And that is the reason we are asking about provinces now, when number of caches is not really big yet. Is much easier add information about province to 1000 caches than 10000.

Reason? Is just much handier select province for search than find where is the center of a circle and what is its radius.

Not really. We got states ("Bundesländer") in Germany a few years ago. Most owners updated their caches themselves within a year or so. The remaining caches (mostly archived and never published ones) were fixed by a reviewer last year. At that time there were 80,000 active caches, more than 20,000 archived/never published caches and about 29,000 caches which had no state set. That was fixed in less than two months of reviewer work. Same story for other countries (Switzerland, Sweden, ...).

So unless there's a pressing need like legal issues, review territory division, language division (Belgium was one of the first countries to get states for that reason), I don't see why someone wants this or Groundspeak should waste spend time for implementing it.

As a player I find them very useless - my "homezone" stretches only parts of two German states and includes the fringes of Belgium and the Netherlands. None of the borders between these regions has any fence or border control - so why should I bother?

As for statistics, there are some clever macros for GSAK which you feed with polygons for the states/counties/... you want the stats for. Other stats systems have similar things.

Edited by eigengott
None of the borders between these regions has any fence or border control - so why should I bother?

Currently there are no "fence or border control" between EU countries, so...

Sorry, but number of caches in Poland what you have found or placed is 0. So what is a difference for you?? :D This thread is about Polish provinces and Polish caches. And Polish community of geocachers agree to implement provinces in listing options. If is any technical or other problem with that we will glad to read about it. Just few words from a competent person.

None of the borders between these regions has any fence or border control - so why should I bother?

Currently there are no "fence or border control" between EU countries, so...

Sorry, but number of caches in Poland what you have found or placed is 0. So what is a difference for you?? :blink: This thread is about Polish provinces and Polish caches. And Polish community of geocachers agree to implement provinces in listing options. If is any technical or other problem with that we will glad to read about it. Just few words from a competent person.

If you don't want international opinion don't post it to the Geocaching Topics international forum... move it to a Polish regional forum.

I want opinion from people, who looks for or hide caches in Poland. Or any word from Groundspeak (simple YES or NOT), as I've sent many emails about it and didn't receive any answer. We have discussed it on Polish forum, and we agree with provinces for Poland.

And unfortunately we still don't have Polish reviewer to send him our suggestions...