When is it Geotrash?

jakess61

I'm new to geocaching, so my question is:

Why are people taking on the responsibility of repairing geocaches that have been ignored by their owners. While it seems very considerate on one hand to repair and maintain these caches, it also seems to me that if it hasn't been maintained by it's owner, it's trash. If you leave your car to disintegrate, you've junked it, your house can be torn down, etc. But leave something out in wild that doesn't belong there and other people will rescue it so it can stay out there longer? That makes no sense to me and seems to counter intuitive to the spirit of geocaching -- which from what I've read is: maintain your cache or get rid of it. There is one near me that is leaking water and the log is moldy, so now it's a health hazard. I've emailed the owner. So can someone let me know what is the proper etiquette for determining when a cache just needs help or it's time to get rid of it. Cause really, I want to get rid of that one.

jakess61

**Addendum: This particular cache was left by a cub scout pack. I was unable to find a current address or any info regarding that pack, so I sent an email to the District Exec and put it in his lap to forward my email to appropriate person or send someone out to handle it as they saw fit.

We'll see what happens.

Edited by jakess61

I take it the cache that you are posting about is not the one cache that you have logged as found (Frankenstein) since your log for that one sounds favorable.

You did the right thing by emailing the cache owner. You can also take a look at their profile page to see how active they have been recently. There are plenty of threads here that further discuss how to deal with caches that need maintenance if you want to know more.

Off-Topic PS: In regards to your log for Frankenstien, please don't change your DNFs to Found It logs after you found the cache. Just add a new log to post your find.

That's a really good question. I do tiny repairs (will replace a ripped ziploc, wipe out mud/water, etc) but would never repair or replace a container. I might conceivably replace or repair a container of someone I knew was an active cacher and was for some reason unable to maintain their caches for a specific period of time. But if I email the cache owner and don't get a response for over a month, and they haven't logged into their account in ages, I'll do a Needs Maintenance or Needs Archived (depending on the situation).

Being new to Geocaching (I am too) I am quite surprised you would already "want to get rid of that one".

Just my thoughts, but posting that is kinda like advertising yourself to be a lightning rod!!! :lol:

My thoughts tend towards- if someone wasn't going to the trouble, while doing a kindness, of repairing or "helping " a cache, there would be a lot LESS of them to look for.( some here feel that might be a good thing) Perhaps you live in an urban area where there are thousands.

I agree it should be the Owners responsibility, but apparently a lot of them just walk away from caching, for whatever reason, illness, relocation, death, shooting star syndrome,(got in got bored got out), ect...

I have been trying to contact the owner of a cache near me to offer adoption... but no response. So what should I do??? I would like to see it stay, and in good shape.

Just a passing observation, not meant to insult or offend.

Geocaching is about the community, and for various reasons people sometimes go through periods where they are unable to maintain the caches they own. During these times, if another cacher can help by replacing a full log or a broken container or whatever, it only helps the community.

In return, when the cacher who fixed up the broken cache finds himself in a position that he's unable to maintain one of his caches, someone else might be able to help by fixing it up.

Geocaching is about the community, and for various reasons people sometimes go through periods where they are unable to maintain the caches they own. During these times, if another cacher can help by replacing a full log or a broken container or whatever, it only helps the community.

In return, when the cacher who fixed up the broken cache finds himself in a position that he's unable to maintain one of his caches, someone else might be able to help by fixing it up.

I have a cache on my watchlist that I have unofficially adopted. The owner hasn't logged on in years, but the cache has been around a while and a lot of folks like finding it. It's one that would be a shame to see go away.

But if a cache needs maintenance and the CO is MIA and no one sees enough merit in it to keep it going, then it should be archived. At that point, it's geotrash.

So can someone let me know what is the proper etiquette for determining when a cache just needs help or it's time to get rid of it. Cause really, I want to get rid of that one.

It's time to get rid of it when either the CO or the reviewer decide it's time. You don't get to remove other people's active caches just because you want to. Only in very special circumstances should you be picking up another person's container and discarding it- ie, the property owner tells you to.

Post a Needs Maintenance log. If you feel so inclined, post a Needs Archived log (these are also sent to the reviewer). If the cache is archived by the reviewer and you get no response from the owner, then it would be okay.

When you find a cache that is in need of help, you've got a few options:

1 ) Log it and note the conditions, leaving the maintenance up to the owner.

2 ) Log it and make repairs, as your muse and budget will allow.

3 ) Log it and submit a "Needs Maintenance" to mark that the cache has issues.

4 ) Log it and post a "Needs Archived", which will get the attention of the reviewers.

My process for determining which log to use are as follows, and are dependent upon my own personal bias:

1 ) Is it a good cache?

I will not waste my time and effort repairing what, for me, is a stinker.

If the hider can't be bothered with using a modicum of creativity, I can't be bothered with repairing their cache.

2 ) Is the hider still in the game?

While there are a few exceptions for me, mainly in the way of sentiment, for the most part, I think that caches placed by inactive owners should be archived as they become problematic.

3 ) What kind of maintenance record does the hider have?

There are some high profile hiders with so many caches that they simply cannot do their own maintenance. These folks rely on their peers to do their job, which I see as incredibly rude. There are also cachers with only a handful of hides who, for one reason or another, won't bother with maintenance. Their caches will sit for extended periods while they go about attending events and logging finds, with little care for the experience their failing caches give others. Again, I see that as terribly inconsiderate. Folks like this will not get any repair help from me.

Just to clarify, these are my own thoughts on the matter, and not a call for action.

I recognize that I have a vastly different caching aesthetic than many, and nothing posted here is meant to offend.

I have a cache on my watchlist that I have unofficially adopted. The owner hasn't logged on in years, but the cache has been around a while and a lot of folks like finding it. It's one that would be a shame to see go away.

But if a cache needs maintenance and the CO is MIA and no one sees enough merit in it to keep it going, then it should be archived. At that point, it's geotrash.

My caching partner and I had a discussion regarding adoptions, unofficial adoptions, and minor maintenance. We have a cache on our watchlists that is exactly what you have described. It's an elderly cache, the CO is MIA and no longer active, and it's in a spot that is interesting to visit. Thus we keep an eye on it and just a week ago we replaced the container.

I've adopted a cache because the CO has moved out of the area and the cache is a good one, but there are many other caches that in the end will be archived because they aren't anything special and when they're archived if the container isn't picked up... they're trash.

So can someone let me know what is the proper etiquette for determining when a cache just needs help or it's time to get rid of it. Cause really, I want to get rid of that one.

It's time to get rid of it when either the CO or the reviewer decide it's time. You don't get to remove other people's active caches just because you want to. Only in very special circumstances should you be picking up another person's container and discarding it- ie, the property owner tells you to.

Post a Needs Maintenance log. If you feel so inclined, post a Needs Archived log (these are also sent to the reviewer). If the cache is archived by the reviewer and you get no response from the owner, then it would be okay.

What if the cache is listed on another service? Groundspeak is nothing more than a listing service. They do not get to determine what happens to a physical cache, only the owner of the cache gets to do that.

The reason I want to "get rid of that one" is the moldy log. As I said in my initial post, now it's a health hazard. I'd love to go look for that one -- but actually handle the contents. Not likely. The help it requires is certainly a far cry from putting a band-aid on it or replacing the zip-top bag.

And yes, I understand, sometimes people can't get back to their cache for various reasons, but, since I may have no way to determine what/why a cache has been left, I was asking for some criteria in which to make an educated judgment.

Another post mentioned there might be far less caches out there if others didn't care them. Would that necessarily be a bad thing? And no, I don't live in a urban area where there are thousands. But, I also don't want my beautiful, rural area to become littered with trash for entertainment purposes or under the guise of a hobby. And yes, when I'm out an about I frequently pick up trash I find.

And no, I would never remove a cache just because "I wanted to." There'd have to be a genuine concern.

What if the cache is listed on another service? Groundspeak is nothing more than a listing service. They do not get to determine what happens to a physical cache, only the owner of the cache gets to do that.

This gets my vote for post of the month.

Some people believe that geocaching.com is the ONLY place a cache gets listed and if it's archived on GC.com then it's trash.

Such is not always the case, now is it?

I respect where you're coming from with this, but if it's been archived and the owner doesn't respond to PMs I'm probably going to assume that they are gone from the game and have left their trash behind. I'd probably check with the locals first before dumping it in the bin.

You are right that I somewhat misstated the reviewer's job in determining what is trash and what is stash(cache). More correctly, the reviewer can determine if it's a geocaching.com Geocache as opposed to an unidentified container (that could be any number of things).

I'd add that the land owner trumps all other face cards.

the moldy log. As I said in my initial post, now it's a health hazard.

Is that true? Any brief exposure to mold is a health hazard??

I respect where you're coming from with this, but if it's been archived and the owner doesn't respond to PMs I'm probably going to assume that they are gone from the game and have left their trash behind. I'd probably check with the locals first before dumping it in the bin.

Just because a listing on this site is archived does not always mean the hide has been abandoned. there can be many reasons that a Cache may remain in place even though the listing here is not active.

Edited by WRITE SHOP ROBERT

Some people believe that geocaching.com is the ONLY place a cache gets listed and if it's archived on GC.com then it's trash.

While it's not always the case, I think it's safe to say in my neck of the woods there is a statistically significant chance that it is the case. Some people believe that just because there are other listing services that people use them in numbers approaching that of geocaching.com and that is clearly not the case.

Like I said, I'd check with the locals first. Around here there are very few non-gc.com caches are aren't cross-listed on gc.com. There are letterboxes not listed on this sight, but those I can pick out.

The reason I want to "get rid of that one" is the moldy log. As I said in my initial post, now it's a health hazard. I'd love to go look for that one -- but actually handle the contents. Not likely. The help it requires is certainly a far cry from putting a band-aid on it or replacing the zip-top bag.

And yes, I understand, sometimes people can't get back to their cache for various reasons, but, since I may have no way to determine what/why a cache has been left, I was asking for some criteria in which to make an educated judgment.

Another post mentioned there might be far less caches out there if others didn't care them. Would that necessarily be a bad thing? And no, I don't live in a urban area where there are thousands. But, I also don't want my beautiful, rural area to become littered with trash for entertainment purposes or under the guise of a hobby. And yes, when I'm out an about I frequently pick up trash I find.

And no, I would never remove a cache just because "I wanted to." There'd have to be a genuine concern.

Post a Needs Maintenance. Mention the mold. Watch the cache. Contact your reviewer for advice. Ask the locals if they know the owner- maybe there's an issue keeping them out of the game.

But don't toss the container based on lack of response from the owner. It's not yours.

Edited by Castle Mischief

Just because a listing on this site is archived does not always mean the hide has been abandoned. there can be many reasons that a Cache may remain in place even though the listing here is not active.

Bolding part of my statement for clarification.

If the container was full of mold like in the OP, and the owner was unresponsive, and the locals had no info... I think it might time to take out somebody else's trash. Effort on my part to contact the owner and do in investigative work will be proportional to the cost/quality of the container.

Film can- leaning towards CITO. Ammo can- more effort required (but if it's an ammo can, usually it can be cleaned up and made presentable with what's in my cache bag.)

If the container can be cleaned up and made less trash-like then it would probably be the nice thing to do that.

Not all mold is equal.

Regular bread mold, not that big of a deal. "book" (paper) mold can be hazardous to some people. It sickened my sister for many years before it was discovered as the problem.

Some mold can kill.

One antique item I purchased had a mildew smell. I was sniffing it trying to remember where I had smelled it before when I got a headache, got sleepy and then was sick and slept for 3 days. Yeah, I remembered. I was sick a LOT when I was a kid and that was the smell of our old house. Like my sister, I stopped getting sick when we moved to a different geographical location.

We will clean and dry the inside of a cache, attempting to dry the contents at the same time, also "take out the trash" that sometime accumulates inside, add a new baggie where needed or even a logbook when the original is full/not usable... but repair the cache container (outside of a temp fix of taping a hole), NO! That is what the "needs maintenance" log is for.

We did replace a cache container once -- with a far better one than what was there -- because my size 12 accidentally found it in the snow nearly 50 ft. from the posted coords. Being an el-cheapo plastic container, it went to pieces. As we had a number of new Lock & Lock® containers on hand (just bought them earlier in that trip). I switched out the swag and logbook. Hey, I broke it so I replaced it! The CO now has a far better container. Now, about those coords... ;)

**Addendum: This particular cache was left by a cub scout pack.

I personally think the guidelines should be change so that caches can't be place by cub scout packs or similar groups. These caches invariably end up having problems like the OP suggests with this one. At the end of the year, the cub scouts moves on. The leader who thought it would be cool for the scouts to place the cache has no intention of maintaining it. The new leader and the new scouts are probably not even aware that a cache was placed with their name on it. I shudder each time I see a cache like this.

While I generally favor the idea of the community stepping up to help out with cache maintenance - replacing wet and even moldy logs for example - there are some situations that just cry out for Needs Archive.

I personally think the guidelines should be change so that caches can't be place by cub scout packs or similar groups. These caches invariably end up having problems like the OP suggests with this one. At the end of the year, the cub scouts moves on. The leader who thought it would be cool for the scouts to place the cache has no intention of maintaining it. The new leader and the new scouts are probably not even aware that a cache was placed with their name on it. I shudder each time I see a cache like this.

While I generally favor the idea of the community stepping up to help out with cache maintenance - replacing wet and even moldy logs for example - there are some situations that just cry out for Needs Archive.

There is a scout cache near us that is right beside the scout building. I was going to grab it once, but there were scouts outside doing scout things. Seemed a little creepy to walk over there, interupting them, to grab the cache. But hey, maybe it would have made for good conversation etc.

When is it Geotrash?

When it's no longer viable, after it's abandoned and when the community isn't taking care of it themselves.

And it doesn't matter if it's listed on 10 caching sites. If it is in a state of disrepair and no one (owner or fellow cacher) is willing to fix it, I would call that geotrash.

I would definitely say it's a candidate at that point for requesting a reviewer to archive it.

As far as removal goes, that's a sticky one. I'm not sure how long you should let it go before removing it.

I would say at the very least you should attempt to contact the owner directly first. Then after a few weeks if I haven't received a reply, I would feel comfortable removing it.

What if the cache is listed on another service?

For me, this is pretty much a non-issue. I believe that if someone creates an account here, then lists a cache here, that action comes with a certain degree of responsibility, specifically, taking your cache off line when/if they decide to stop playing here. A simple note worded to the effect of, "I am archiving this cache on GC .com. Please do not treat it as litter, as it will be active on TC .com", would suffice. If they are unwilling to spend a few seconds doing so, then I feel no qualms about treating their archived cache as litter, and removing it, after what I feel is a reasonable amount of time has passed.

What if the cache is listed on another service?

For me, this is pretty much a non-issue. I believe that if someone creates an account here, then lists a cache here, that action comes with a certain degree of responsibility, specifically, taking your cache off line when/if they decide to stop playing here. A simple note worded to the effect of, "I am archiving this cache on GC .com. Please do not treat it as litter, as it will be active on TC .com", would suffice. If they are unwilling to spend a few seconds doing so, then I feel no qualms about treating their archived cache as litter, and removing it, after what I feel is a reasonable amount of time has passed.

My personal caching ethics (like that one? ;) ) would have me look at the other sites and make at least one attempt at contacting the CO through their profile.

For my own caches I never cross list. It seems pointless.

My personal caching ethics (like that one? ;) ) would have me look at the other sites

Good advice, and part of the reason I joined TC and NC. I've never heard of a cross listed TC, as they seem to discourage such behavior, but I have seen some cross listed NCs.

I've just never felt motivated to pull someone else's cache. We don't really have a problem with it around here.

And teachers. A couple of caches in our area were posted as class geography projects and then promptly abandoned by the student (and teacher).

Well, several people have mentioned to let the "reviewers" know. Who are the "reviewers" and how do I contact them. I've perused the FAQ's and some other pages. Haven't scene any reference to them anywhere but here.

Posting a Needs Archive note on the cache will alert the reviewer.

You can also find the reviewer listed in the Published note, unless the CO has deleted it.

Edited by GeoBain

Well, several people have mentioned to let the "reviewers" know. Who are the "reviewers" and how do I contact them. I've perused the FAQ's and some other pages. Haven't scene any reference to them anywhere but here.

Posting a Needs Archive note on the cache will alert the reviewer.

Or look at the very first log posted to the cache page. Unless it has been deleted by the cache owner it should be the "published" log posted by the volunteer who originally reviewed the cache.

I disagree with most of the other posts here. If it looks like trash and smells like trash, it's trash. You have a greater responsibility to clean up trash than you do to save a cache.

Obviously, common courtesy would require you to give the owner (and maybe even the local caching community) a chance to perform maintenance. But, if there's no response, you'd be well within your rights to clean up the area and post a 'Needs archived' log. Geocaches should NEVER take away from the beauty of the area they are in.

If the area is an attractive place for a cache, it deserves a cache that will be maintained. If a cache can't be maintained, it doesn't deserve to live.

If the area is an attractive place for a cache, it deserves a cache that will be maintained. If a cache can't be maintained, it doesn't deserve to live.

I had a lot of good advice. I've emailed the owner, emailed the Scout area director, emailed the reviewer cause I don't know how to do Needs Archived (let him handle that). But so far, your feeling mirrors mine 100%. Unfortunately, having a feeling and acting on it are two different things. I needed some direction, I got it, I'm happy!

BTW, we've gone as far as I care to go on this topic. We can stop now! ;)

What is the GC.number to this cache.And did you find this cache or read a log that said the log was moldy

What is the GC.number to this cache.And did you find this cache or read a log that said the log was moldy

I assume it's GCV388. 'Needs Maintenance' log from over a year ago lists it as "Geotrash". And check the gallery. EEEEWWW!!

Edited by Cagey Jadiesse

Looking at the log for this cache I have to agree with the original poster. I posted early in the thread to not get too hasty with archiving one, but looking at the pics and reading the posts, this one is already dead.

Don't think I would have been too happy hiking in and finding this either. ;)

I will note many of the finds remark what a beautiful area it is so I hope a new cache can be set. Sounds like the original container might be something like a peanut butter jar. Tons of thread posts and advice on NOT using something like this.

Hope this one opens up a spot for someone else, or someone could adopt it and get it back in shape. Doesn't sound like adoption is going to work out, though.

A moldy cache log is a health hazard? Sorry... wrong sport for you, my friend. You will be finding moldy cache logs in containers hidden inside of decaying logs surrounded by rotting leaves that are composting into bacteria laden soil. This is by no means a sanitary activity, and if you are bothered by a soggy, moldy log so much that you want to get rid of the cache, this is not going to be going uphill for you.

If the cache is, indeed, GCV388, it has been neglected for far too long. The fist mention of a wet log is in November 2007. Nearly 2 years later, and the log looked like this:

3be9f989-4058-41c1-880f-204b14818cb8.jpg

It is nearly six months after that. Fortunately, the freezing temps have probably slowed the mold, but c'mon. . .

Oh, the owner hasn't signed into the website since November of '07.

According to Snopes.com, those "other" listing sites are an urban legend.

I have come to the same conclusion after finding way too many scout troup caches that are badly placed, bad coordinates, poor coordinates, and/or no maintenance. Cool concept, but it just does not seem to work out.

Yup... I have to agree. Time for a Needs Archived note*. Cache owner hasn't been online for 3 years, cache is a soaking mess. If the OP wants to be responsible for cleaning the mess up, be prepared to go back there after the reviewer archives the cache.

* A Needs Archived note is simply another note type option in the dropdown. That type of note will also be emailed to the reviewer, who will probably post a warning on the cache page, then after a month or two with no response (and it is highly unlikely in this case that there will be one), archive the cache.

Looking at the log for this cache I have to agree with the original poster. I posted early in the thread to not get too hasty with archiving one, but looking at the pics and reading the posts, this one is already dead.

Don't think I would have been too happy hiking in and finding this either. ;)

I will note many of the finds remark what a beautiful area it is so I hope a new cache can be set. Sounds like the original container might be something like a peanut butter jar. Tons of thread posts and advice on NOT using something like this.

Hope this one opens up a spot for someone else, or someone could adopt it and get it back in shape. Doesn't sound like adoption is going to work out, though.

Yep. That's definitely a candidate for a Needs Archiving log.

I had a lot of good advice. I've emailed the owner, emailed the Scout area director, emailed the reviewer cause I don't know how to do Needs Archived (let him handle that). But so far, your feeling mirrors mine 100%. Unfortunately, having a feeling and acting on it are two different things. I needed some direction, I got it, I'm happy!

BTW, we've gone as far as I care to go on this topic. We can stop now! B)

To log a Needs Archiving, just choose that option from the drop down list located in the same place you make your find log.

Also, if you want this thread closed you can click the report button on your post and ask or you can PM one of the mods directly.

If the OP wants to be responsible for cleaning the mess up, be prepared to go back there after the reviewer archives the cache.

Or even BEFORE it's archived. It is no longer a cache.

Wrong.

OK. Uhhh. Right! If there is no reasonably usable log book, there is no cache.

You can put a fresh log in yourself, if you wish to, and are so equipped, but until the reviewer or cache owner archives the cache, you do not simply walk off with it, if for no better reason than that others may go looking for it.

If the OP wants to be responsible for cleaning the mess up, be prepared to go back there after the reviewer archives the cache.

Wrong.

You can put a fresh log in yourself, if you wish to, and are so equipped, but until the reviewer or cache owner archives the cache, you do not simply walk off with it, if for no better reason than that others may go looking for it.

Seriously? You're the commish in this game. You're gonna leave this garbage out there for new cachers to find? Look at the logs for this cache. How many veteran "community cachers" came across this piece of garbage, happily logged a find (with a note re: log condition, granted), yet didn't do a THING to fix it up? Over how many YEARS?!

Is this how you're going to run your league? This is what you want to be a second "find" by a new cacher? This is better than a string of DNFs?

Edited by Cagey Jadiesse

Wrong.

Seriously? You're the commish in this game. You're gonna leave this garbage out there for new cachers to find? Look at the logs for this cache. How many veteran "community cachers" came across this piece of garbage, happily logged a find (with a note re: log condition, granted), yet didn't do a THING to fix it up? Over how many YEARS?!

Is this how you're going to run your league? This is what you want to be a second "find" by a new cacher? This is better than a string of DNFs?

The dog with glasses is correct that you shouldn't remove it until it has been archived.

And yet none of them bothered to post a Needs Archived on it either. And for a least the last year it has been in disrepair but plenty of cachers have found and logged finds on it.

The OP did the proper thing. He asked how to go about it properly and it seems he has begun the process. Once a reviewer archives the cache, then it would be appropriate to remove the cache from play.

Wrong.

Finding something IS better than nothing.

Once the proper steps for archival have occurred, only then should it be removed, and only if there is absolutely no response from the hider.

Of course if it's a classic, then it should be replaced.