Android app updates

AZcachemeister

[This post has been removed by the moderating team. It is off topic, and discussed an unauthorized application. Do not discuss that application because it violates Groundspeak's Terms of Use Agreement and uses elements of Groundspeak's Trademark Geocaching logo and cache icons without permission. Thank you.]

Edited by Keystone

I'm also looking forward to seeing an official android app from gc.com. At least I hope I can see it. Canada still does not have access to paid apps through Android Market. :laughing: Until then, CacheMate is my app of choice. I've tried GeoBeagle and GCDroid but still prefer CacheMate.

The iPhone App is Fantastic, for looking up cache's logging field notes, etc. it was super convienient.

I used it to look up the cache's and then would input the coordinates into my Garmin(the iPhone 3G's GPS

wasn't all that accurate. don't know about the 3GS) and Even then is was the best app for geocaching.

GeoBeagle is much more accurate(at least with the GPS on my Moto DROID) but getting cache's on the fly

is cumbersome to be kind.

What we get in a geocaching.com app first and foremost is a wonderful way to look up all the cache's near

our current location, download them to our phones, view them all in a map, etc. without using a web browser

on a phone which even in the best circumstances is a zoom in and out excercise. I would hold the iPhone in one hand with the cache info, hints, logs, notes, etc. viewable my Garmin in the other locating the cache, then a quick field note instantly logged from the phone. Search up the next cache and enter it into the phone.

The iPhone totally eliminated my connecting my GPS to the computer or printing out any info from the website, etc. except for puzzle cache's. It has been the single biggest thing I've missed switching to The Motorolla DROID from iPhone.

I think it is a great move by geocaching.com...Verizon has the biggest subscriber base, and now finally have some decent phones available. You can get Moto DROID's for $110 and HTC Eris' for FREE with 2 yera contracts, so these should only increase in popularity drastically, as well as the Nexus 1, G1, etc.

With the Motorolla DROID's GPS, I may start keeping the Garmin in my pack as a back-up once this app comes out....

Can't wait will totally be worth the Money if it's at $9.99 like the iPhone APP, I'de pay $19.95 or $24.95 for it

without delay if it was available. ;)

Add me to the queue of anxious Android owners who would like to see an official app. I'm using most of the same apps mentioned: CacheMate, Geobeagle, etc - but will have to check out [removed].

To be truly of value, the app would need to support 'offline' capabilities, for times when you might be outside of coverage (especially for us poor G1 users - not quite as much an issue for Droid users on Verizon). I'm holding out for the Nexus One on Verizon...

Back to the matter at hand: If Groundspeak mentioned a proposed release date of Q1 for a native Android app - asking for a status at this date is reasonable. That being said, they don't really owe us any update until the end of March - but in the spirit of collaboration and transparancy, it would be nice to hear something.

Edited by Keystone

SnoWake,

1. This thread is asking about the official Groundspeak application for Android. Do not use it to discuss the unauthorized application that I removed from your post. Do not discuss that application elsewhere in the Groundspeak Forums, either. Thanks!

2. For your convenience, I've quoted a post made the other day by JoshLytle, who heads up Groundspeak's mobile development team. Updates are being provided via several channels. Please understand that the high level of interest means there's a number of separate threads. You may not see an official response in every one of them.

The app is starting to come together, and we're working on the finishing touches of version 1 now. Hopefully, you won't have to wait that much longer (although I don't completely control when it's gonna get released). :-)

Hmm, it was getting finishing touches at the end of Feb and yet here we are mid May and still nothing released. I'm getting a new Android phone next month. Which do you think will arrive first, the phone or the GS app?

Hmm, it was getting finishing touches at the end of Feb and yet here we are mid May and still nothing released. I'm getting a new Android phone next month. Which do you think will arrive first, the phone or the GS app?

I'm in the same boat. I'll be getting a new phone in a few weeks and was encouraged to hear about the app months ago. But the more time that goes by without hearing anything at all makes me more discouraged.

I would much rather use an official GS app if possible.

i've been looking at android based phones.. which one will the the one to get? my contract is up oct 21st.. i want to get the right one.. might be the droid.. any one know?

The Droid Incredible is the one I'm going with. It has very fast performance and the HTC UI gets very positive reviews. By October there will be a number of other new models to pick from.

As a gentle reminder, please reserve this thread for updates on the official Android app. (And be sure to follow the similar thread in the Geocaching for iPhone section of the forums.)

"What phone is best for geocaching?" would be a good subject to discuss in the GPS and Technology forum.

As for the Android app, it remains in active beta testing.

Y cant we get access to the beta application, plenty of other product you can have the beta version and then receive updates as/when/if there are any nessacery bugs to fix.

you whould then have littery hundreds of more users testing

Y cant we get access to the beta application, plenty of other product you can have the beta version and then receive updates as/when/if there are any nessacery bugs to fix.

you whould then have littery hundreds of more users testing

Possibly because the application to be a beta tester requires occasional punctuation?

Earlier today Bryan posted this note to the Android discussion in the iPhone section. Reposting it here so those who don't visit the iPhone area can see it too.

I saw a demo of our Android Geocaching application yesterday. It is looking good but we still have some work to do in order to get it to the point where we are comfortable releasing it. Along with the 4.0 release of our iPhone application, it is currently the highest priority of our mobile dev team.

We currently have 104 geocachers on the tester mailing list, so we will not likely be adding more at this time.

We are as anxious as anyone to have this app released, but we won't release it until we feel that it is ready. I would estimate approximately 3-4 weeks for completion, but that is no guarantee.

Edited for typo.

Edited by Skippermark
He posted an update today. Looks like we might have an app by the end of the month. :ph34r:

Here's the new update.

Yesterday, we released a new beta version of our Android app to the testing group for evaluation.

We are working very hard to release the application to the public before the end of the month, in time for GeoWoodstock and in time for our July 4th Lost and Found Celebration, GC24GYW (you're all invited, btw).

As much as we would like to provide some guaranteed launch date, that is the best update I can provide for now.

BTW... how are we supposed to know which app is the one we can't talk about on the forum if it is never mentioned?
AFAICS, you're supposed to post comments about the app in the Groundspeak forums and then notice that the moderators have removed the name of the app from your post, or you're supposed to find out about the app violating Groundspeak's TOU from some third party.
How do we get on some mailing list or something so that we can be notified when the app is released? BTW... how are we supposed to know which app is the one we can't talk about on the forum if it is never mentioned? Hmmm.... Dilemma.

Your dilemma is quite easy to see; geo caching apps are abundant. The good news is the official one is just around the corner.