Event cache on a military base.

JohnE5

I have worked with my base's MWR (Morale, Welfare, Recreation) coordinator about the base allowing geocaches to be placed in unsecured areas that are already public access.

Turns out, she is a geocacher, all be it inactive. But she knew about it. She started making plans and talking to the base Commanding Officer and right now they are trying to make basically an intro to geocaching event for the base personnel within the base itself.

My question is, when this base event happens would gc.com allow me to publish an event cache to coordinate with the base's event?

Given we do have permission to hide and base security would know an event was taking place; allowing civilians on base.

I have worked with my base's MWR (Morale, Welfare, Recreation) coordinator about the base allowing geocaches to be placed in unsecured areas that are already public access.

Turns out, she is a geocacher, all be it inactive. But she knew about it. She started making plans and talking to the base Commanding Officer and right now they are trying to make basically an intro to geocaching event for the base personnel within the base itself.

My question is, when this base event happens would gc.com allow me to publish an event cache to coordinate with the base's event?

Given we do have permission to hide and base security would know an event was taking place; allowing civilians on base.

From the guidelines ...

Event Caches

Event caches are gatherings that are open to all geocachers and which are organized by geocachers. While a music concert, a garage sale, an organized sporting event, a ham radio field day or a town’s fireworks display might be of interest to a large percentage of geocachers, such events are not suitable for submission as event caches because the organizers and the primary attendees are not geocachers. In addition, an event cache should not be set up for the sole purpose of drawing together cachers for an organized hunt of another cache or caches. Such group hunts are best organized using the forums or an email distribution list.

Bolding is mine. It would seem as long as the general public has access to the area without restrictions and you can follow the above guidelines it looks doable. But the best course of action would be to pose the question to your reviewer and see what it would take to get the event published. I would expect you will need to have some discussions about the non-geocaching aspects, but perhaps an intro to geocaching approach might be worth trying. But, what ever comes out of forum discussions means nothing, it is what is discussed and agreed on between you and your reviewer. I personally would not have broached the subject here in the forum but had private discussions with my reviewer.

From the guidelines ...

Event Caches

Event caches are gatherings that are open to all geocachers and which are organized by geocachers. While a music concert, a garage sale, an organized sporting event, a ham radio field day or a town’s fireworks display might be of interest to a large percentage of geocachers, such events are not suitable for submission as event caches because the organizers and the primary attendees are not geocachers. In addition, an event cache should not be set up for the sole purpose of drawing together cachers for an organized hunt of another cache or caches. Such group hunts are best organized using the forums or an email distribution list.

Bolding is mine. It would seem as long as the general public has access to the area without restrictions and you can follow the above guidelines it looks doable. But the best course of action would be to pose the question to your reviewer and see what it would take to get the event published. I would expect you will need to have some discussions about the non-geocaching aspects, but perhaps an intro to geocaching approach might be worth trying. But, what ever comes out of forum discussions means nothing, it is what is discussed and agreed on between you and your reviewer. I personally would not have broached the subject here in the forum but had private discussions with my reviewer.

(Sizing mine)

And the first person that the MPs deny access to the base has one heck of a case against you and Groundspeak. With military security around all its bases very high, I wouldn't even think of taking such a chance.

I like the idea, mainly because bases have such a beautiful and full history about them, and typically many points on interest. We live next to Ft. Riley, which at the moment, has no physical geocaches on the property. There use to be three virtuals, but the CO archived them. It really is too bad, because there is so much to see, but I understand what kind of troubles it could bring. You would have to make sure the right people know what is going on.

I cannot imagine that any base commander would open his base to a bunch of civilians for any reason. If you are in the military, you know that the only way onto a base is

1. Be a member of the active military with proper credentials(ie military ID),

2.Be a retired military or family with proper military ID, or

3.have someone on base vouch for you and get a proper visitors pass (this is for vendors who have passed the application and background check and is only good for the time you need to conduct business).

I grew up in the military(living on base) and from the experience of wearing my ID on a lanyard around my neck any time I was out of the house, and the national alert still at the yellow level, I cannot think that this is a good idea in any way. :lol:

JJTally- If you are around the Ft Riley area, you are only a few hours from me here in the Wichita area. We are in a small town just 12 miles straight south of Mc Connell AFB. If you find yourself in this area, I would love to meet you. ;)

Colleen Mills

digitalgoddess

I cannot imagine that any base commander would open his base to a bunch of civilians for any reason. If you are in the military, you know that the only way onto a base is

3.have someone on base vouch for you and get a proper visitors pass (this is for vendors who have passed the application and background check and is only good for the time you need to conduct business).

I grew up in the military(living on base) and from the experience of wearing my ID on a lanyard around my neck any time I was out of the house, and the national alert still at the yellow level, I cannot think that this is a good idea in any way. :lol:

JJTally- If you are around the Ft Riley area, you are only a few hours from me here in the Wichita area. We are in a small town just 12 miles straight south of Mc Connell AFB. If you find yourself in this area, I would love to meet you. ;)

Colleen Mills

digitalgoddess

Not quite true. I've attended dozens of soccer tournaments at Fort Dix in NJ and I am none of the above, nor were probably most of the thousands of the other people in attendance. We just had to show our drivers license at the gate, the guard took a glance inside the car, one time they made us open the trunk and we were on our way.

There was a terrorist threat against the base (several guys were arrested who were planning an attack on the base) so for that summer we had to be on a list to get in, and every car was searched, but that was relaxed and the following year it was just back to showing a drivers license. Every base is different.

Not quite true. I've attended dozens of soccer tournaments at Fort Dix in NJ and I am none of the above, nor were probably most of the thousands of the other people in attendance. We just had to show our drivers license at the gate, the guard took a glance inside the car, one time they made us open the trunk and we were on our way.

There was a terrorist threat against the base (several guys were arrested who were planning an attack on the base) so for that summer we had to be on a list to get in, and every car was searched, but that was relaxed and the following year it was just back to showing a drivers license. Every base is different.

WOW !!! McConnell AFB must just really must be strict. I was an approved vendor for the base gift shop

(just last year),

and I had to fill out a very long application and have a background check, photo, and fingerprints on file in order to go on base for business. Each time I went to service the shop, they would have to call the visitors center, and I would have to go in and show my Drivers license, my vendors ID, and show my registration for my car. My car was then searched at the gate-Then I was allowed to go through. This was each time I went to service my account, and I was only allowed on base for the time it took to service my account- approx an hour.

Even the students that had class at the on base campus of the local college, has to be on a registration list and be bused onto base-They cannot drive their cars on base.

Colleen Mills

digitalgoddess

A lot of military bases are open to the public. Some of the best museums you'll ever visit will be on military installations which are open to public access. I spent 27 years hanging around military bases. There's a lot of history at many of them which are open to the public.

Edited by Wadcutter

(bolding mine)

This seems to be getting overlooked.

No. You overlooked the fact that he's asking about an event cache. And jholly answered the question in post #2.

(edit : spelling)

Edited by Chrysalides

Colleen Mills

digitalgoddess

Every year we open the base to the public for an annual "Mud Run" and thousands of people come on for that.

Let me clarify. There will be a base wide geocache hunt for one day. Obviously military members will be able to attend to learn about it and look for all the caches hidden. The base commander will allow civilians to enter the base to attend and participate. My question is, even with all this cooperation do you (as individuals) think it would get approved as an event cache?

I will contact my reviewer when more variables have been solved, so please refrain from directing me to my local reviewer. I just want your opinions.

I grew up in the military(living on base) and from the experience of wearing my ID on a lanyard around my neck any time I was out of the house, and the national alert still at the yellow level, I cannot think that this is a good idea in any way. ;)

Colleen Mills

digitalgoddess

Fort Dix is a bit odd. One day I managed to drive onto the base using back roads, only to find a military armament training exercise underway. They were using live ammo and weaponry, and when I drove by a bunch of soldiers just snapped their necks and gave me a hard look as they sat in their tanks. On the way out I had to pass several barriers (that were facing the other way) that said that absolutely nobody was allowed in because of the training... :lol: I spoke to another cacher who had the exact same thing happen to him. It was interesting watching the practice, but a little unnerving.

I also hid a cache on the base accidentally, and the reviewer wounln't list it is as a result. it was in a small neighborhood park nearby. After looking at the maps, I realized I had to move it 100 feet or so, so it could be listed. There were no physical signs on site indicating the boundary which was odd. Every base is a bit different. I guess.

Colleen Mills

digitalgoddess

Every year we open the base to the public for an annual "Mud Run" and thousands of people come on for that.

Let me clarify. There will be a base wide geocache hunt for one day. Obviously military members will be able to attend to learn about it and look for all the caches hidden. The base commander will allow civilians to enter the base to attend and participate. My question is, even with all this cooperation do you (as individuals) think it would get approved as an event cache?

I will contact my reviewer when more variables have been solved, so please refrain from directing me to my local reviewer. I just want your opinions.

Hmmmmmmm, big base in Caroline, County Virginia which has opened up to thousands of Boy Scouts every four years. Non Scout visitors by the thousands to check out the action.

Colleen Mills

digitalgoddess

The cache hunt part might be an issue (see post #2). Assuming that they are temporary caches that could be OK. So if you have permission of the base commander and the general public is allowed, then there is a good chance this could be published. Only your reviewer can tell you for certain. My advice would be to

play down the cache hunt aspect of the event.

I grew up in the military(living on base) and from the experience of wearing my ID on a lanyard around my neck any time I was out of the house, and the national alert still at the yellow level, I cannot think that this is a good idea in any way. ;)

Colleen Mills

digitalgoddess

Fort Dix is a bit odd. One day I managed to drive onto the base using back roads, only to find a military armament training exercise underway. They were using live ammo and weaponry, and when I drove by a bunch of soldiers just snapped their necks and gave me a hard look as they sat in their tanks. On the way out I had to pass several barriers (that were facing the other way) that said that absolutely nobody was allowed in because of the training... :lol: I spoke to another cacher who had the exact same thing happen to him. It was interesting watching the practice, but a little unnerving.

I also hid a cache on the base accidentally, and the reviewer wounln't list it is as a result. it was in a small neighborhood park nearby. After looking at the maps, I realized I had to move it 100 feet or so, so it could be listed. There were no physical signs on site indicating the boundary which was odd. Every base is a bit different. I guess.

The soccer fields at Ft Dix are within the gates of the base. Oddly enough there is no visible security at the fields. The only military presence seems to be a few soldiers who seem to have some free time and stop by to watch the games. And once in a while a company of trainees runs by with their drill sergeant, singing just like they do in the movies.

I'm sure the participants and spectators are watched closely over security cameras and if anyone wandered away from the fields they would be stopped. I made a wrong turn when leaving once and was immediately pulled over by base security and escorted to the correct exit.

The cache hunt part might be an issue (see post #2). Assuming that they are temporary caches that could be OK. So if you have permission of the base commander and the general public is allowed, then there is a good chance this could be published. Only your reviewer can tell you for certain. My advice would be to

I would probably leave the cache hunt part off the Listing, and merely state that there will be some GPS related activities/games. Y'know, you wouldn't want anybody to forget to bring their GPS to an Event :lol:

If the access issue is clearly spelled out on the Listing (ID and/or insurance verification.....or at least that's what I had to show to get across the Base at Hunter Ligget) and some additional clarification concerning permission from the Base Commander or some similar authority figure is included in a Note to the Reviewer, it's hard to imagine you having difficulties getting it Published.

Worst case scenario, it might require Groundspeak approval, but as folks have pointed out, there have been lots of examples of how this sort of thing has worked in the past.

Good luck ;)

And the first person that the MPs deny access to the base has one heck of a case against you and Groundspeak. With military security around all its bases very high, I wouldn't even think of taking such a chance.
Exactly what 'case' would they have against anyone?

If I have an event at a local restaurant and you are turned away by management for whatever reason, you don't have a 'case' against me or Groundspeak (or likely the restaurant).

I would think it would. The guidelines are just that, guidelines. Normally, geocaches aren't on school property, but my friend (a teacher) and the students in his geocaching club at the school have had several published around and directly on school property. The publishing process was just a little more involved was all.

We've been on military bases for lots of things, from seeing the Blue Angels and Thunderbirds fly, to a career day thing, to open houses where the public could tour the facility and learn what the base does and see demonstrations of different things. To enter, security varied from a simple bag check at some of them to a full metal detector walk-through.

I think the event sounds great, and if we were in the area, we would love to attend.

Edited by Skippermark

JJTally- If you are around the Ft Riley area, you are only a few hours from me here in the Wichita area. We are in a small town just 12 miles straight south of Mc Connell AFB. If you find yourself in this area, I would love to meet you. B)

Colleen Mills

digitalgoddess

I grew up in Wichita

WOW !!! McConnell AFB must just really must be strict. I was an approved vendor for the base gift shop

(just last year),

and I had to fill out a very long application and have a background check, photo, and fingerprints on file in order to go on base for business. Each time I went to service the shop, they would have to call the visitors center, and I would have to go in and show my Drivers license, my vendors ID, and show my registration for my car. My car was then searched at the gate-Then I was allowed to go through. This was each time I went to service my account, and I was only allowed on base for the time it took to service my account- approx an hour.

Even the students that had class at the on base campus of the local college, has to be on a registration list and be bused onto base-They cannot drive their cars on base.

Colleen Mills

digitalgoddess

McConnell is also home to a Missle Wing. Hence, the VERY tight secureity. Back in the 70's I would go on the base to get paid when I was on leave. Even then, it was tough to get on, even for Active Duty Military

JJTally- If you are around the Ft Riley area, you are only a few hours from me here in the Wichita area. We are in a small town just 12 miles straight south of Mc Connell AFB. If you find yourself in this area, I would love to meet you. B)

Colleen Mills

digitalgoddess

NO NO NO!!! If you don't tell the Base CO everything that's gonna happen, or at least be planned, be prepared to get shut down, and run off the base.

I have worked for the Military for 34 years, and believe me, the CO's do NOT have a sense of humor in certain respects. Not being utterly open with them in one of those times.

From the guidelines ...

Event Caches

(Sizing mine)

What case? If it's a normally accessable location for the general public, and the guards don't let someone in, then that someone is gonna have way bigger things to worry about than missing an event.

Groundspeak and the Cache Owner wouldn't have anything to worry about.

Colleen Mills

digitalgoddess

NO NO NO!!! If you don't tell the Base CO everything that's gonna happen, or at least be planned, be prepared to get shut down, and run off the base.

I have worked for the Military for 34 years, and believe me, the CO's do NOT have a sense of humor in certain respects. Not being utterly open with them in one of those times.

I meant on the cache page. Of course the CO should know everything.

I grew up in the military(living on base) and from the experience of wearing my ID on a lanyard around my neck any time I was out of the house, and the national alert still at the yellow level, I cannot think that this is a good idea in any way. :ph34r:

JJTally- If you are around the Ft Riley area, you are only a few hours from me here in the Wichita area. We are in a small town just 12 miles straight south of Mc Connell AFB. If you find yourself in this area, I would love to meet you. :D

Colleen Mills

digitalgoddess

I meant on the cache page. Of course the CO should know everything.

**Whew!!**

Hi JohnE5,

We had a very successful event on a military base here in Georgia last year in conjunction with the MWR. Just depends on who you talk to on base and how well they understand what it is that we do. It really helped us that someone in the MWR had worked with our local geocaching group previously in placing caches in the local parks. She actually contacted us to help her set it up on post.

Will send you PM.

Janet

There are a number of geocaches in Ft. Hunter Liggett, California. There is a public road that passes through much of it and Mission San Antonio de Padua is within its borders. One does have to pass through a security checkpoint to enter the base, so if a geocacher has a dubious background they may be barred.

A Case?? like in a Lawsuit?? Are you kiddig?? So the same thing would apply when the fire marshall says that a pizza place has to limit the occupancy?? Or when someone shows up with no shoes?