best mobile

cachehunny

Hi all

just wondering what the best mobile is for whilst i'm out and about geocaching, i'm looking for something with a good to brilliant internet reception, and one i can get instant updates on all the geocaches in the area i'm hunting, also one that lets me log my finds as and when i find them( or don't find them).

also what is the best application to get once i have this fantastic mobile,

i can't afford an iphone though so it will have to be the next best thing, oh and does anyone have a download computer lead for a gps garmin etrex as when i got it , it didn't come with one, free would be nice but am willing to pay (not heaps though) lol, if you are going to one of the local meets (i'm in leatherhead) i could meet you there to collect.

look forward to hearing any and all replies

muttitt

Hi all

just wondering what the best mobile is for whilst i'm out and about geocaching, i'm looking for something with a good to brilliant internet reception, and one i can get instant updates on all the geocaches in the area i'm hunting, also one that lets me log my finds as and when i find them( or don't find them).

i can't afford an iphone though so it will have to be the next best thing, oh and does anyone have a download computer lead for a gps garmin etrex as when i got it , it didn't come with one, free would be nice but am willing to pay (not heaps though) lol, if you are going to one of the local meets (i'm in leatherhead) i could meet you there to collect.

muttitt

Where are you located? Leatherhead is a little to specific.

Hi all

muttitt

Their use of the word "mobile" should be a dead giveaway. Unfortunately, being that I'm in Kansas, I have no answer for what the best mobile would be for someone in the UK.

Your question is a bit of a contradition because quite often "out in the field" the cellphone reception can be bad enough to cancel your Geocaching activities if trying to do in real-time like your post suggests. It kinda depends on out far out in the field your personal definition is :lol:

Nobody (that Im aware of) makes a truly RUGGED smartphone-cellphone, one that can handle the rigors of a sprinkle of rain or even a mild drop onto wet or hard (rock) ground.. Im also eagerly waiting for such a product to become available. Sure some people will say stick it in a rugged case, but that can often make usage clumsy.

At this time you are still better off to buy a standard outdoor-rated rugged standalone GPSr (not a smartphone) and load it up with a pocket query. Save your logs out in the field and upload them once you get home.

Hi all

muttitt

Hi Crude,

Yeah sorry about that , i am in Leatherhead, surrey ,england