CITO and Girl Scouts

Shannon440

While caching locally my daughter and a stumbled into a cemetery is disrepair. She was touched by the state of affairs and wanted to help. As her mother and Girl Scout leader I suggested we could make this a troop project, maybe even our bronze. The troop bought into the idea, one of my girls actually lives less then 50 feet from GZ and was so glad we would be helping this place. I posted a CITO event (GC23JNF). The reviewer promptly archived with the following comments.

Hi,

I appreciate what you are doing but this is not a geocaching event. This is a girl scout event that you are trying to get geocachers to participate in. I would suggest talking about this one your local forums and inviting them there. Geocachers will show up with or without the smile.

I have replied with:

It was our intention to have the cachers met in a separate area of the cemetery as well as place no less then 1 new cache in the cemetery and 2 new caches in the area. We also wanted to work on games, contest and incentives that would be open only to the cachers.

Is there anything else you would recomend I do? This is more of a geo inspired effort then a Bronze project. If I wanted the girls to simple post to the internet and get there award I would use free cycle and local BB to collect food to the animal shelter.

Any advice would be appreciated.

In the cache placement guidelines, under CITO Event Caches, you will find:

CITO Event Caches

The idea of Cache In Trash Out (CITO) came about late in the year 2000 as a way for geocachers to contribute to the beautification of our local parks and lands. Read more information about the CITO program.

The CITO event cache category was added to differentiate cleanup events from other types of event caches. Use this category when you are asking geocachers to show up on a particular day to pick up litter at a park, remove piles of junk near a popular waterfront, etc. Do not use this category for a physical cache that is placed in an area that is need of cleanup – just mention the CITO opportunity on your cache page.

CITO events are set up and sponsored by geocachers – not by other organizations. If you have an event you feel fits within the spirit of this unique category, yet are still unsure, please seek permission from Groundspeak before submitting.

The last part pertains to your question.