YanniG

parthenon.jpg

Name: Parthenon - Athens Geocoin

Price: 7 euros

Size: 2" (50 x 3.5 mm)

Weight: 42 gr

Plating: Shiny Nickel.

Pieces produced: 250 pcs

Description:At the front side is the Greek flag with the phrases "Live your Myth in Greece" and "Where democracy was born". At the back side is the Parthenon of the Acropolis hill in Athens, in 3D.

TRACKABLE AT GEOCACHING.COM WITH ITS OWN ICON AND CUSTOM PREFIX "YG".

Parthenon Geocoin link

Oh! The beautiful Parthenon coin that is a jewel in my collection!!! :o

What a pretty coin with great messages too! It is a huge geocoin of 2 inches!

Parthenon.... the symbol of Greece and the symbol of Democracy!!!

Until 1687 it was almost untouched by time and humans.... it was complete and beautiful!!! I say almost because in the byzantine period a church , and during Ottoman times, a mosque were build inside! small ones but...

Unfortunatelly for the world and the art history... Francisco Morosini a Venetian admiral I think and later one of the Doges of Venice, bombed Parthenon while he was trying to take Athens and the acropolis (Turks were defending it!)! Inside Parthenon, Turks has their ammonition so... a big exlossion damaged the temple sooo much!

In 1801. Elgin took the statues and remove the sculptures from Parthenon and other small temples of the acropolis! :laughing: He had a firman... an ok from Sultan in paper, but this paper was probably fake!!!

while he was trying to remove the sculptures.. some fell and broken too!

So the damage was huge! :o He stole what he could and left! Nowdays these marbles are called Elgin marbles and they are in the British museum! greece is trying for years now to take them back, since they were stollen! It is so pity to see that british museum has a statue and we have the rrms, the head... and the opposite! :surprise: I hope one day these will come back home and unite with the rest!!!

Hey... do you know a strange and clever fact that Parthenon has??? the corner columns are thicker than the others!!! Why? Iktinus and Kallikrates who builed the temple (and Phidias made the sculptures and statues!), realized that when the sunlight will fell on the temple, the shadows will make the eyes believe that the corner columns will look thinner than the others! So... to make it as parfect as possible... they made the corner columns thicker!!! ;) Clever guys!!!! Oh.. and do not forget! Partenon is probably the only tempme in the ancient times (and in that size of course), that is made of marble and not lime stone!!! So it was very hard and expensive to make it!!! WOW!!! :P

thank you Yanni for making this coin!!!

parthenon.jpg

Name: Parthenon - Athens Geocoin

Price: 7 euros

Size: 2" (50 x 3.5 mm)

Weight: 42 gr

Plating: Shiny Nickel.

Pieces produced: 250 pcs

Description:At the front side is the Greek flag with the phrases "Live your Myth in Greece" and "Where democracy was born". At the back side is the Parthenon of the Acropolis hill in Athens, in 3D.

TRACKABLE AT GEOCACHING.COM WITH ITS OWN ICON AND CUSTOM PREFIX "YG".

Parthenon Geocoin link

So I guess you aren't responding to questions? :o Emailed you over a week ago. Asking when these would be produced and shipped and why the prices are different.

So the damage was huge! :o He stole what he could and left! Nowdays these marbles are called Elgin marbles and they are in the British museum! greece is trying for years now to take them back, since they were stollen! It is so pity to see that british museum has a statue and we have the rrms, the head... and the opposite! :) I hope one day these will come back home and unite with the rest!!!

There are always two sides to the story... do you think with the pollution levels and environmental damage that was done to the rest of the Parthanon that the marbles would even have survived? Greece was also occupied in WW2, I very much doubt they would still remain to this day... but that is for scholars and nations to debate.

I ordered a couple. :laughing:

So the damage was huge! :o He stole what he could and left! Nowdays these marbles are called Elgin marbles and they are in the British museum! greece is trying for years now to take them back, since they were stollen! It is so pity to see that british museum has a statue and we have the rrms, the head... and the opposite! :) I hope one day these will come back home and unite with the rest!!!

There are always two sides to the story... do you think with the pollution levels and environmental damage that was done to the rest of the Parthanon that the marbles would even have survived? Greece was also occupied in WW2, I very much doubt they would still remain to this day... but that is for scholars and nations to debate.

I ordered a couple. :blink:

I think the sculptures, statues etc of Parthenon are in the new acropolis museum, including the Karyatides, the women figure columns! (one is missing...)! The ones you see in the Parthenon are replicas (at least some of them) just because of the polution!

It is very bad that the air is so poluted! :laughing:

Now about Elgin... well... the thing is that he stole the marbles... That is why we only ask for them and not all the other ancients that are out! Of course this story is a long one and I hope both British museum and Greek goverment will find a solution so we can see the beautiful sculptures complete again after 200 years!

So I guess you aren't responding to questions? :o Emailed you over a week ago. Asking when these would be produced and shipped and why the prices are different.

Hi,

when did you emailed me and from which email address?

And if I did not reply to you, how did you order a couple?

I had no reason to neglect you, so please be more specific.

I ordered a couple. :laughing:

About the STOLEN Parthenon marbles, we all have to admit that they must return to Athens, since now exists the most hi-tech museum in the world, the Acropolis museum that opened just some months ago and has all the means to protect the marbles from any pollution.

And how would feel any UK citizen if me and my "secret ninja team" :o went one night and stole the clock from the Big Ben and the next day was on exhibition at the Acropolis museum?

And how would feel any French citizen if me and my "secret ninja team" :) went one night and stole the half top of the Eifel Tour and the next day placed it at the island of Crete?

Of course the Big Ben and the Eifel Tour are not equal in age with the Parthenon marbles, but it is the pride of the English people and the French people respectively.

But just think of possible reactions...

A lot of people in the name of protection have made horrible things to countries as Greece, so it is time to stop this bedtime story about pollution and protection.

In the name of protection nowadays those people accuse my country as economic weak, but all they look forward is their income to get bigger resulting on my salary to become lower.

Enough saviours for my country.

Get a life !

Very nice coin!

Here in Nashville, Tennessee (USA) there is a replica of the Parthenon. It was built in 1897 for Tennessee's Centennial Exposition, and is currently an art museum.

Parthenon-Shot.jpg

Nashville's Parthenon

The Parthenon stands proudly as the centerpiece of Centennial Park, Nashville's premier urban park. The re-creation of the 42-foot statue Athena is the focus of the Parthenon just as it was in ancient Greece. The building and the Athena statue are both full-scale replicas of the Athenian originals.

Originally built for Tennessee's 1897 Centennial Exposition, this replica of the original Parthenon in Athens serves as a monument to what is considered the pinnacle of classical architecture. The plaster replicas of the Parthenon Marbles found in the Naos are direct casts of the original sculptures which adorned the pediments of the Athenian Parthenon, dating back to 438 B.C. The originals of these powerful fragments are housed in the British Museum in London.

The Parthenon also serves as the city of Nashville's art museum. The focus of the Parthenon's permanent collection is a group of 63 paintings by 19th and 20th century American artists donated by James M. Cowan. Additional gallery spaces provide a venue for a variety of temporary shows and exhibits.

Very nice coin!

Parthenon-Shot.jpg

Also some additonal information.The temple of Parthenon, at the Acropolis hill in Athens was constructed with marble, excavated from the mountain Penteli, at the northern part of Athens. Those marbles seem to have some special power, no bird has ever been seen fly over the temple of Parthenon.

Edited by YanniG

WOW!!! the replica or Parthenon is amazing!!!! Beautiful bulding and I love that it is an art museum!!! :lol:

Oh!!! YanniG!!! I didn't know that for the birds in Parthenon!!!

That's interesting!!! I saw in TV about Penteli and the marbles there, but I didn't know that about Parthenon!!!

Well... surelly not to have birds flying over the temple is good! No... Bird poo for sure! :D Ok..

I am kiding but this is really strange and interesting!!!!

I know that birds can understand and feel things we do not see, feel...

I would like to thank all the people who have purchased this geocoin from me so far.

Because of the bad economic crisis I would like to "get rid" the remaining 175 coins of this series.

The new price for each coin of this series is 5,50 euros.

If any of the e-shops is interested on buying once all the remaining coins, please contact me so that we can negotiate the price.