Oregon - accessory compatibility?

JSWilson64

So, I got rid of my handheld GPS receivers a while back, and now realize my mistake! :o

Going to take the plunge on the great deal at offroute.com on an Oregon 300. I think. If I don't talk myself out of it after over-analyzing since I found out about the sale... I tried one at REI a while back in full noon sun, and while the screen wasn't ideal, I was able to read it and orient myself on the map, so I think as long as I remind myself of the price I got it for, I'll be OK... :o

Anyway, wondering about the Oregon series, and compatibility with Garmin accessories. For example most Garmin mounting devices (bike, car, etc) for ETrex vs. 60 series share the part that attaches to the vehicle, but the part that attaches to the GPS unit is specific to the handheld unit. So one can buy, say, an Etrex dash mount, and a 60-series handlebar mount, and swap back and forth with both.

Is the Oregon compatible with that stuff, or is it a whole new ball game? I was able to mix and match bits I found on closeout at Fry's that way...

What about the wireless sensor capability? Is the Oregon series limited to the Garmin Heart Rate monitor and/or Garmin bicycle Cadence sensor? Or are other brands compatible?

Also, and this is the biggest concern, is there some way to attach a "safety" when mounting the Oregon with the stock Garmin handlebar mount? I used to loop the lanyard around the handlebars when riding with a GPS on my handlebars. And is there a way to attach a lanyard while using the belt or carabiner clip? I'm clumsy enough that I like to have my expensive electronics attached to me if at all possible. Plus, I'm likely to not find my way out of the woods if I lose the GPS! B)

Edited by JSWilson64

As a partial reply, the Oregon and Colorado share the same mounting system, but the bike handlebar mount is completely different to the eTrex's.

You can still have a lanyard connected as its thin nylon cord loops through a channel at the base of the Oregon and is completely separate from the belt clip (which you would have to remove if using a handlebar mount).

I agree with the idea of having the lanyard looped round the handlebars as a safety cord when using the handlebar mount and always did this with my eTrex (I've yet to get out on my bike with my new Oregon.)

The Oregon Wiki has some info on using the heart rate monitor and cadence monitors, and users have reported that other heart rate monitors with the "ANT+SPORT" logo are recognised by the Oregon. (There's no mention of the speed/cadence monitor.)

The Oregon Wiki at http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/ is a great source of info and discussion board for the Oregon.

Hope this helps...

Chris

There is another active thread on the same subject. Read that one. The normal Oregon auto mounts use a ball that is the same as the Nuvi series and you can mix and match with those mounts.

The wireless is a Garmin protocol. You can communicate with other Garmin wireless GPS units and accessories.

The Garmin bicyle mount is junk. Get a RAM mount. There is a thread on here that shows a good setup with RAM components.

The Garmin bicyle mount is junk. Get a RAM mount. There is a thread on here that shows a good setup with RAM components.

The Garmin bike mount works. I wrapped the handlebars once with some friction tape before strapping on the mount. The mount is tight enough to hold the gps in place but still allows for angle adjustments.

There is another active thread on the same subject. Read that one. The normal Oregon auto mounts use a ball that is the same as the Nuvi series and you can mix and match with those mounts.

The wireless is a Garmin protocol. You can communicate with other Garmin wireless GPS units and accessories.

Thanks for this info (and to the other authors as well). I'm sure RAM mounts work great.

Aside: I'll have to check that site out when I get home. We have Internet Explorer 6 here at work (I have no idea why), and I use Google Chrome Portable on a flash drive. The dropdown menus on the RAM mounts website don't work in Chrome - select Garmin for brand but there's no list of GPS units to pick from. And when I run it in IE6 it looks wonky and I get a "your browser is outdated" message.

My browser is outdated? I'd say their website is outdated if it doesn't work in Chrome! B)

Thanks Red90.

Since I wrote that, I've learned to like the new Garmin mount. You just have to work to get it tight enough though. Besides, with an Oregon, you want to be able to adjust it on the fly.

JSWilson64, if you're a biker, take a good look at the Dakota. It's brighter screen is significantly more visible on fixed mounts.

http://gpstracklog.com/2009/10/garmin-dakota-20-review.html

This thread sparked my curiosity. As the owner of a Nuvi an Oregon and a 60csx, I decided to check out compatability. I myself personally don't like anything stuck to my windshield. So the first accessory I bought for my Nuvi was the friction mount. For my Oregon and 60 csx it was power cords for the car. My last vehicle had a nice spot to put both handheld units without any special mounts or brackets. When I go out geocaching I very rarely bring the Nuvi. The Oregon is my go to unit, but don't like just setting it on the counsel. A new vehicle. I was looking at the Navagation kits for the Oregon and figured I don't need to spend $40 for the kit seeing I have the power cord already. I called Garmin today talked to the customer service rep and asked about the cradle that the Oregon fits into. He assured me that the ball on the friction mount was compatable with both the Nuvi and the Oregon cradles. Next question can I buy just the cradle? He checked his catalog and came back with a yes answer. To make a long story short it is availale for $8.00 including shipping. I ordered it and when it gets here I'll post an update how everything worked out.

This thread sparked my curiosity. As the owner of a Nuvi an Oregon and a 60csx, I decided to check out compatability. I myself personally don't like anything stuck to my windshield. So the first accessory I bought for my Nuvi was the friction mount. For my Oregon and 60 csx it was power cords for the car. My last vehicle had a nice spot to put both handheld units without any special mounts or brackets. When I go out geocaching I very rarely bring the Nuvi. The Oregon is my go to unit, but don't like just setting it on the counsel. A new vehicle. I was looking at the Navagation kits for the Oregon and figured I don't need to spend $40 for the kit seeing I have the power cord already. I called Garmin today talked to the customer service rep and asked about the cradle that the Oregon fits into. He assured me that the ball on the friction mount was compatable with both the Nuvi and the Oregon cradles. Next question can I buy just the cradle? He checked his catalog and came back with a yes answer. To make a long story short it is availale for $8.00 including shipping. I ordered it and when it gets here I'll post an update how everything worked out.

The cradle for my Oregon 300 arrived this morning. Just as the rep at Garmin told me the ball on the friction mount will fit the Nuvi and Oregon/Colorado cradle. Eight bucks for the cradle sure beats having to pay for a whole new auto kit. :D

The cradle for my Oregon 300 arrived this morning. Just as the rep at Garmin told me the ball on the friction mount will fit the Nuvi and Oregon/Colorado cradle. Eight bucks for the cradle sure beats having to pay for a whole new auto kit. :huh:

Sweet! What did you ask for when you ordered it? Did you ask by part number, or did you just ask for "the Oregon cradle-thingy that fits the Nuvi windshield mount" ?? :)

My new Oregon 300 came last week. Then my wife hid it until my birthday next week. ;)

The cradle for my Oregon 300 arrived this morning. Just as the rep at Garmin told me the ball on the friction mount will fit the Nuvi and Oregon/Colorado cradle. Eight bucks for the cradle sure beats having to pay for a whole new auto kit. :huh:

Sweet! What did you ask for when you ordered it? Did you ask by part number, or did you just ask for "the Oregon cradle-thingy that fits the Nuvi windshield mount" ?? :)

My new Oregon 300 came last week. Then my wife hid it until my birthday next week. ;)

When I called I asked for the cradle to mount the Oregon to the friction mount. The rep checked the master catalog for its availability. It was listed as a for sale item. On the invoice the item number is: 011-01744-00. Order the auto power cable for the Oregon and you should be good to go. Unfortunately my Nuvi power cord doesn't work with the Oregon, too much plastic on the plug end to seat fully into the USB port.

Good luck, Happy Birthday, and have fun with your birthday present.

Edited by mty55