New Garmin 60csx

rdeg

I am the proud and excited new owner of a Garmin 60csx. I was so looking forward to paperless caching but now reading the forum I see that some say this model is not paperless. I am so confused and potentially disappointed. This is what I wanted: A gps that I could download the caches to and also route them for me. Did I get the wrong unit? I can't figure it out yet but I am hopeful. Any advice would be helpful. Please be possitive! lol..

The Garmin 60csx is NOT paperless. However, in my opinion, it is the best GPS unit you can buy right now. It's basically the workhorse of all GPS units.

If you want paperless, I'd suggest the Garmin Oregon 400t. With this unit, you can download all the cache descriptions directly from your computer to the GPS unit. The DeLorme PN-40 is also paperless, I'm not very familiar with this model, but I've heard good things about it.

I am the proud and excited new owner of a Garmin 60csx. I was so looking forward to paperless caching but now reading the forum I see that some say this model is not paperless. I am so confused and potentially disappointed. This is what I wanted: A gps that I could download the caches to and also route them for me. Did I get the wrong unit? I can't figure it out yet but I am hopeful. Any advice would be helpful. Please be possitive! lol..

No, it's not a stock paperless unit. You can however, load custom POIs via a GSAK macro that will give you the description and some of the logs. Do a search on the GSAK forums for POIs. Should be easy to find.

Many people who have the 60csx love it, and would rather have it then one of the newer ones. It is not a paperless caching GPSr. If you don't want to monkey around with GSAK to load custom POI's, take it back and get a Colorado, Oregon or Dakota. Or PN-20, -40.

I saw what the custom POI can do on the eTrex (and the 60csx is not very different) and I'm not impressed. I recommend using either an iPod Touch / iPhone if you already own one, or get a 2nd hand Palm m500 with CacheMate (not sure the price on eBay, but a recertified one costs $22 shipped from Newegg. Yesterday it was on sale for $12 shipped, maybe the price will come back again). A Nuvi with custom POI works very well too.

Edited by Chrysalides

Well, I'm jealous! The 60Csx is top of the line and will serve you well.

OK, I have to fess up a bit. I have something like 1500 finds and have never understood the fuss about paperless caching. I don't think I have ever carried a wad of papers around for each hide. I just load a bunch of coordinates with EasyGPS into my Legend and away I go.

Great unit. I think it is still the best all around hand held GPS. It isn't however a true paperless unit. You can get a lot of cache info into it by playing around with GSAK and using the POIs. Difficulty, terrain and the hint can all be added to it if you take a few minutes to learn the different GSAK codes.

That or get yourself an inexpensive PDA and load Cachemate on it and you are set.

If you aren't willing to do that then perhaps an Oregon or DeLorme PN40 might be a better choice.

I have the 60csx and love it. I bought a pn-40 to try out because it was on sale and I love it. I like the way nth units fit into my hand. I have an iPhone and do not like the way it feels in my hand and that is the maim reason I didn't choose an Oregon, Colorado, or Dakota.

If the pn-40 had not been so cheap when I purchased it, I would still be using the 60 with either my iPhone ory PDA. You will really enjoy the 60 and you won't really worry about dropping it or being rough with it as you would one of the other Garmin units.

i have a 60csx, and given the opportunity to have a colorado or oregon or whatever, i wouldn't take it.

sometimes i don't even bother with the PDA and cachemate.

the 60csx works really well for me, and it's tough. the way i travel, that's important. i've put it through years of hard use and it holds up like a champ.

Regarding the 60CSX ...

Sure it may be somewhat dated and lacks some features. However, it's reputation precedes it. Check out the prices used units command on eBay.

Last year the used prices were around $225.00

This year the workhorse 60CSX is commanding an additional $50.00 to $70.00

If you cache in an urban environment --- the SD card with street navigator will soooooo simplify your life, especially if your travels take you to areas where you lack familiarity.

This is what I wanted: A gps that I could download the caches to and also route them for me. Did I get the wrong unit?

Positive:

You got exactly what you wanted. You can download the caches via the Send to GPS button or via PQs. And with the proper maps routing to the cache is no problem at all.

However:

What is meant by paperless caching is that you don't need a printout anymore, since the description is downloaded as well. The 60CSx can't do that really. But there is a workaround via the POI, just search the forum for this solution.

GermanSailor

The 60CSx is still considered by most to be the most capable of handheld GPS units. Having said that - it simple is not paperless except via a patchwork solution that does not even make good use of the unit. Very accurate and loaded with features but just is not a paperless Geocaching unit.

I recommed a Garmin Colorado or a Lowrance Endura unit for full out of the box paperless.

I recommed a Garmin Colorado

i've been tempted to get one, but i think i'd destroy it the first time i slid down a rock face on it. granted, it's not my preferred use of the GPS, but every so often i find myself really smacking it, or dragging it, or getting it caught on things. the 60csx stands up to a LOT of abuse the more full-featured, refined units just won't take.

it's worth considering, if you find yourself on rough terrain and in bad weather with any regularity.

I bought a 60cx before these new jobs came out and while I don't claim to be any kind of expert, I'm satisfied so far with mine.

It does way more than my feeble brain can comprehend. Of course, it's not all that hard to be smarter than me.

Yeh, what is said above. Love mine.

I've been tempted to get one, but i think i'd destroy it the first time i slid down a rock face on it.

Yeah, I only have a simple Garmin eTrex Legend, for the reason that if it does break, then it is not the biggest loss. Also it is water proof (Has been dunked in salt water and it still works) and tough.

[Edited to correct quote tags]

Edited by Mini-Geek

It's a great unit and you can see the screen far better than the garmin paperless units.

With the 60 you can marke your cache as found and then go on to the next one. It's got paperless tracking.

If you want to read the cache pages and descriptions then you do need another solution. A smart phone works for that as does an old klunky PDA that you don't care if you break. If you truly want your GPS to be paperless and have cache description and such, you need the Oregon series. The screen is not at all good in the sunlight unlike the 60 you have. If you are happy with paperless tracking, the 60 is fine.

Edit: Some have reccomended the Colorado series. They will also do the job. I personally do not like the screen or the interface. Both the 60 and Oregon have a better interface. However this is a subjective thing. Some like the colorado interface.

Other than paperless the newer GPSs don't actually do more than the 60 series you have.

Edited by Renegade Knight

i've been tempted to get one, but i think i'd destroy it the first time i slid down a rock face on it. granted, it's not my preferred use of the GPS, but every so often i find myself really smacking it, or dragging it, or getting it caught on things. the 60csx stands up to a LOT of abuse the more full-featured, refined units just won't take.

it's worth considering, if you find yourself on rough terrain and in bad weather with any regularity.

That's the reason I went with the PN-40 instead of the 300 when both Garmin and Delorme had a sale in December. I have never worried about dropping my 60 and I feel the same way about my PN-40.

That's the reason I went with the PN-40 instead of the 300 when both Garmin and Delorme had a sale in December. I have never worried about dropping my 60 and I feel the same way about my PN-40.

You wouldn't have to worry about dropping an Oregon either. Mine's been dropped more than once on the rocks.

You wouldn't have to worry about dropping an Oregon either. Mine's been dropped more than once on the rocks.

i'm not really talking about dropping it; it's more a case of dropping it face down on jagged rock with my full weight on top of it while sliding several feet.

I have an Oregon 550t and it is great. But one thing that you should know is that if you really want to go paperless you really have to get a premium membership. Otherwise you can not upload all the cache info, just the coords. A premium membership is not a big deal but it is not something that most people think about when they add up the costs of a new GPS unit.

Other than paperless the newer GPSs don't actually do more than the 60 series you have.

The Oregon / Colorado can do a couple of things the 60 series cannot - view photos (useful for spoiler photos, but only if you remember to load them into the GPSr in the first place) and play Wherigo "cartridges". However, neither of these are deciding factors for me, and I assume not for most people either.

i'm not really talking about dropping it; it's more a case of dropping it face down on jagged rock with my full weight on top of it while sliding several feet.

If it lands on the LCD the 60 wouldn't survive either. The Oregon's LCD does cover more of the front, so I guess the chances of a rock hitting the screen is greater. In any case, I'm glad that both your GPSr and yourself survive, and hope you don't have too many of such experience, rugged GPSr or not.

Well, I'm jealous! The 60Csx is top of the line and will serve you well.

OK, I have to fess up a bit. I have something like 1500 finds and have never understood the fuss about paperless caching. I don't think I have ever carried a wad of papers around for each hide. I just load a bunch of coordinates with EasyGPS into my Legend and away I go.

same here. i don't have 1500 finds, but i just load 'em up and go. and hope for the best.

If it lands on the LCD the 60 wouldn't survive either.

it would. i know because it did.

The Oregon's LCD does cover more of the front, so I guess the chances of a rock hitting the screen is greater. In any case, I'm glad that both your GPSr and yourself survive, and hope you don't have too many of such experience, rugged GPSr or not.

thank you; more often than i'd like. for a while it seemed that every time i replaced the screen protector or the clip, i fell on it again, destroying the screen protector and the clip. i kept expecting to destroy the GPS as well, but happily not.

Yeah ... I guess that would mess up just about any unit unless you have it encased in some type of bullet proof housing. :lol:

Yeah ... I guess that would mess up just about any unit unless you have it encased in some type of bullet proof housing. :lol:

I think Flask's point is that her 60CSX made it through that scenario. I know mine did. I was sliding on my backside down a 100 yard long field of jagged rocks and boulders and to my dismay when I got to the bottom I found I was dragging my 60CSX behind me by its lanyard. It was fine.

Another time I was backpacking and I slipped on ice and came down with all of my 230 lbs and my 40 lbs of equipment directly on my 60CSX which was attached to my hip pocket. Hurt like heck but the GPS was unscathed. If that wasn't bad enough I repeated the act several minutes later. I wound up with a bruise on my hip that was in the shape of my 60CSX. Very funny. The unit made it through all of this with the only protection being the soft neoprene case that Garmin sells for it.

Edited by briansnat

For my money, you have the best GPS money can buy. I actually returned a Colorado and replaced it with a 60GSx and have had zero regrets.

Now, if you can, drop just a little more money and pick up any basic Nuvi, and grab the GSAK macro for loading it and you will have not only paperless caching but also auto navigation to the area of the cache. And you will probably still have spent less than you would have spent on an Oregon.