So when did Kazakhstan annex Nova Scotia?

LeoGeo

He who has the gold makes the rules... a pretty simple concept, really!

Clayjar had an ammo can welded to his bumper hitch, folks could meet him along his route from New Orleans to Atlanta to the Arctic Circle and back to New Orleans.

I got to log it in my driveway as he was passing through Birmingham.

If I recall correctly he made that trip in 11 days then archived the cache.

Basically ANY cache can be approved if you have the blessing of the frog palace.

Wasn't that also back in a time when moving caches were common and acceptable? I think the reviewers would be much less inclined to approve one these days.

Addressing your logic:

Okay, then I'll put a cache in my car. Relative to my car, it's not moving either. I'll even put it in the glove box so it's not moving to another part of the car. Wha-huh?

It's been done. There was a mystery cache near here (San Diego) that was attached to a vehicle. Most of the time, the cache was findable at or near a specific set of coordinates. But sometimes the cache was not there.

Not sure you could get that approved these days, though.

The infamous Ventura Kids had one attached to their purple jeep and it was logged at many events ;)B)

Got a link?

First, while attached to Ventura Kids Jeep it was not their cache.

Second, there was/is an actual cache at the posted coordinates that one could go and log a find on. Signing the log in the moving cache attached to the Jeep was alternative logging option.

Perhaps there is an actual cache in the ocean off of Nova Scotia that you can find and log. It would not be the first time this cache owner has hidden a cache on the bottom of the ocean floor.

Addressing your logic:

Okay, then I'll put a cache in my car. Relative to my car, it's not moving either. I'll even put it in the glove box so it's not moving to another part of the car. Wha-huh?

It's been done. There was a mystery cache near here (San Diego) that was attached to a vehicle. Most of the time, the cache was findable at or near a specific set of coordinates. But sometimes the cache was not there.

Not sure you could get that approved these days, though.

The infamous Ventura Kids had one attached to their purple jeep and it was logged at many events ;)B)

Got a link?

like stated above it was not their cache my mistake, it had been so long ago that I had forgotten the particulars, Anyway this is the cache

Thanks to Steve he gave me the GC #

What I find funny is the log that seems to lock it is in German. Aren't a lot of the problematic armchair virtual cachers from Germany? Maybe they should aim to fix that problem before complaining about a cache approved by THE POWER THAT BE not meeting guidelines.

I'm aware of several armchair loggers from the UK, who write their armchair logs in English. Following your logic, nobody should express any opinion about geocaching in English until "something has been done" about the English-speaking armchair loggers.

Of course, some of the armchair loggers are Americans too. Again, your logic seems to imply that the entire nation should refrain from any comments on the game until there's been a collective national effort to stamp out armchair logging.

FWIW, I share your view that those comments on the cache are misplaced. But you don't do your argument any favours with this kind of semi-xenophobic comment.

I'm not saying the only ones doing it are from Germany and I'm not saying the entire country does it. But my understanding is that it is common knowledge that the MAJORITY of problematic armchair logging tends to come from that area. The fact that Jeremy seems to have approved of this particular cache and now someone from that same well known armchair logging area is now claiming it doesn't meet guidelines (and thus claiming that Jeremy was wrong to publish it) is humorous to me considering the number of people over there who flat disregard the guideline about having physically visiting the cache site on a routine basis.

I wouldn't consider the statement even semi-xenophobic. I didn't say I hate, fear, detest, or any other variation that fits into the concept of xenophobic thoughts about them. I didn't say that they shouldn't comment on the game. I pointed out that maybe before they claim that Jeremy Irish is ignoring guidelines, they should look at the pluthra of people ignoring guidelines in their own backyard.

Am I being harsh? Maybe. But I've personally had a surprising number of people from Germany contact me on numerous occasions asking for help with virtual caches because they "forgot to write down the information", when they just happened to log caches in several states on the East Coast, in Europe, and suddenly in Kansas, all in the same day. The number from other countries...one.

UPDATE: I do know that several guidelines are directly violated, based on how you look at them I'm not arguing that guidelines haven't been broken. But Jeremy is the head of the company. If he wants to approve something for gimmick's sake, he is more than welcome. There's an astronaut that I happen to know who might have been up there when this was placed. Too bad he's not up there now as I'd contact him about it. Maybe get the code of off of the TB. :ph34r:

Edited by TripCyclone

The fact that Jeremy seems to have approved of this particular cache and now someone from that same well known armchair logging area is now claiming it doesn't meet guidelines (and thus claiming that Jeremy was wrong to publish it) is humorous to me considering the number of people over there who flat disregard the guideline about having physically visiting the cache site on a routine basis.

I've also logged so called arm chair virtuals (8 to be exact, which is about 1.42% of my total finds and thus far from routinous), which weren't exactly no-brainers like some physical caches.

But that's not the point here. Let's face it. GC is a game, which has it own rules. There is a problem if one decides to arbitrary change those rules whenever it suits oneself.

It isn’t certainly a sign of originality or creativity to flout things. There are other ways, as mentioned in http://searchjaunt.idizaai.be/barrels-of-creativity/.

The fact that Jeremy seems to have approved of this particular cache and now someone from that same well known armchair logging area is now claiming it doesn't meet guidelines (and thus claiming that Jeremy was wrong to publish it) is humorous to me considering the number of people over there who flat disregard the guideline about having physically visiting the cache site on a routine basis.

I've also logged so called arm chair virtuals (8 to be exact, which is about 1.42% of my total finds and thus far from routinous), which weren't exactly no-brainers like some physical caches.

But that's not the point here. Let's face it. GC is a game, which has it own rules. There is a problem if one decides to arbitrary change those rules whenever it suits oneself.

It isn’t certainly a sign of originality or creativity to flout things. There are other ways, as mentioned in http://searchjaunt.idizaai.be/barrels-of-creativity/.

So logging an armchair virtual is okay, but anybody else not following the other rules, not okay?

If you have an opinion just say it. I'm not clicking on links to your blog post.

It's a clear example of pork barrel politics and it is not fair towards the cachers having to apply to busybody rules. As said in http://searchjaunt.idizaai.be/breaking-your-own-rules/, these need to be archive asap.
You're kidding, right? Your post "must be an April Fool's joke. It might seem funny at first sight – it even made rise my mouth corners a bit". Not worth any more comment than that. Edited by knowschad

So logging an armchair virtual is okay, but anybody else not following the other rules, not okay?

These caches are archived now since they don't meet the guidelines. But the point is not about logging at all.

It's about these cache allowed to be created. I challenge you to create one like that. For sure, it'll get refused by the reviewer with the guidelines as argument.

These caches are archived now since they don't meet the guidelines. But the point is not about logging at all.

It's about these cache allowed to be created. I challenge you to create one like that. For sure, it'll get refused by the reviewer with the guidelines as argument.

"For sure"? Are you?

I can't be "for sure".

To be fair, there are not many of us who have a spare space station ready to launch, one which just needs a stash note and a log book shoved in the hatch before lift-off but if you have a super-duper fantastically unique cache that is truly exceptional and it gets turned down by your local reviewer then you have the option to present full details of your great plan direct to Groundspeak for a full appraisal. If it's truly worthy of "an exception" I suspect it would get a fair consideration.

MrsB

You challenge me to create a cache that's as remote as the bottom of the ocean or the ISS? Becuase I can just throw that together over the weekend?

I'll get right on that... :ph34r:

For those interested:

http://www.locuslingua.com/geocaching-in-space

So as a result of the new cache listing, I have created a draft to be added to the current guidelines so that it is well understood what is acceptable about caches in space.

Geocaches in Space (or other planets/spacecraft)

We do allow cache placement in outer space, such as the International Space Station, or Mars. Make sure you can land or connect to the space station/planet for it to be acceptable as a listing. Keep in mind, however, that due to the 520ft guideline you can't place another cache on the ISS since one is already listed there.

You challenge me to create a cache that's as remote as the bottom of the ocean or the ISS? Becuase I can just throw that together over the weekend?

I'll get right on that... :ph34r:

If you need a film canister for that, let me know :ph34r:

If searchjaunt insists on being outraged by the publishing of that cache, well, it's his privilege. Me, I'll point to the ISS when it passes overhead, and say "there's a geocache in there, you know". Not only would I be slightly more interesting to those around me, it's better for my blood pressure.

(No lobbing rocks at it now... You can't get it that way)

But assuming the log survives re-entry after the ISS is de-orbited in 2016, can it be logged that way?

I hope so.

Maybe it'll end up on display in some space museum and geocachers will make pilgrimages there in order to sneak a look inside the legendary Locker #218.

MrsB

No ones mentioned that this cache is called a "geo" cache which it isn't.

geo- (jēō, -ə)

1. earth, of the earth geocentric, geophyte
  2. geographical geopolitics

Etymology: Gr geō- < gaia, gē, the earth

A new type/class of cache will have to be created. Say.. Interstela-cache, Sol-cache, Orbcache, ect.

But I can definitely say it's not a "geo"cache. :ph34r:

geo- (jēō, -ə)

A new type/class of cache will have to be created. Say.. Interstela-cache, Sol-cache, Orbcache, ect.

But I can definitely say it's not a "geo"cache. :ph34r:

It's in a geocentric orbit. That's good enough for me!

geo- (jēō, -ə)

But I can definitely say it's not a "geo"cache. :tongue:

It's in a geocentric orbit. That's good enough for me!

Acording to Mr. Irish's intrum guidline update, caches on Mars are acceptible. Those can in no way be related to earch.

I think that it is obvious that this cache is a publicity stunt by Groundspeak. Nothing more, nothing less. No one is going to go to the ISS because of this cache, the FTF will be some guy (or girl) who was going there anyway. I guess the deep sea cache didn't get enough press, so they thought they would try this one.

geo- (jēō, -ə)

But I can definitely say it's not a "geo"cache. :tongue:

Ummmm.... what do you call the satellites that form the basis of our activity?