The hardest 5/5 cache ever?

GAZ

I hope this topic can be moved to the general forum for discussion. A few folks have already posted Should Be Archived log entries on this cache since it clearly violates Groundspeak guidelines for cache placement. :D Nice idea, and I wish someday I could find it, but it should be archived.

update - Cache listing was locked at approximately 11am PST. GC1BE91

Edited by NetworkCacher

Groundspeak occasionally allows 'exceptions to the rules' for exceptional circumstances

Exactly...

Note: Exceptions to the listing guidelines may occasionally be made depending on the novel nature and merits of a cache...

Wondering if someone really doubts the novel nature of that cache... But some people always have to complain.

Draft Guideline change:

Geocaches in Space (or other planets/spacecraft)

We do allow cache placement in outer space, such as the International Space Station, or Mars. Make sure you can land or connect to the space station/planet for it to be acceptable as a listing. Keep in mind, however, that due to the 520ft guideline you can't place another cache on the ISS since one is already listed there.

This from Jeremys facebook, nice to see he has a great sense of humour

Edited by Smurf

In passing I thought I would give this cache a go.I tried to place a DNF log for this page but it has been 'locked' and will not be taking any more logs.

I just wanted to point out that the cache must have been muggled as all ivy and evidence of a pile of sticks seem to have been stolen !

Not ading this to my bookmark of extreme caches !

B):o:o

5/5 seems the wrong rating to me, I think it should be a 1/5 - the location description is so explicitly described, and there is a spoiler, so it should be a doddle to find (once you get there) :o:o:o .

Rgds, Andy

But you have to admit the difficulty of getting there has to be a 5, as must the "terrain"! However, geo = earth, so if there's a new site called spacecaching.com, this would be the ideal first candidate!

Back to terra not-very-firma, I have this one in my Antarctica bookmark list: GC18G1Z (sorry, haven't mastered hyperlinking, so it'll need to be a cut and paste job). I notice no-one has yet found it, and I have it on my watchlist as I suspect it might be quite some time before someone does...

B)

But you have to admit the difficulty of getting there has to be a 5, as must the "terrain"!
The difficulty of getting there should not be reflected in the difficulty rating.

The terrain rating should tell you how hard it is to get there, and the difficulty rating should tell you how hard it is to find after you get there. Hence my comment that it should be a 1/5.

But my comment was only a joke.

Rgds, Andy

In passing I thought I would give this cache a go.I tried to place a DNF log for this page but it has been 'locked' and will not be taking any more logs.

I just wanted to point out that the cache must have been muggled as all ivy and evidence of a pile of sticks seem to have been stolen !

Not ading this to my bookmark of extreme caches !

:o:o:o

You disappoint me, I was half expecting to find you offering tips on how to abseil back from it! B)

Draft Guideline change:

Geocaches in Space (or other planets/spacecraft)

We do allow cache placement in outer space, such as the International Space Station, or Mars. Make sure you can land or connect to the space station/planet for it to be acceptable as a listing. Keep in mind, however, that due to the 520ft guideline you can't place another cache on the ISS since one is already listed there.

This from Jeremys facebook, nice to see he has a great sense of humour

It's down to 520ft now? Then we can place 1.5% more caches!

It's a clear example of pork barrel politics and it is not fair towards the cachers having to apply to busybody rules. As said in http://searchjaunt.idizaai.be/breaking-your-own-rules/, these need to be archive asap.

If Groundspeak were the government, you might have the beginnings of a point, although quite how "pork barrel politics" would come into it even in such a case given that no money is changing hands, I don't see.

But as a private company, they are entitled to publish whatever they like. The rules govern what the customers of the web site can do. Groundspeak are not "breaking their own rules". Within their own Web site, they are not governed by the same rules that you and I are, any more than the bus company ticket inspectors who were on on my bus the other day were "breaking the rules" by talking to the driver, when there´s a sign up in the bus telling me not to do so, or the waiter who took my order in the restaurant this evening was "breaking the rules" when he walked into the kitchen. And the rules saying that I can´t talk to the driver, or walk into the kitchen, are not "busybody rules". Sure, you and I don´t want to do either of those, but there´s a lot more people out there than you and me, and they don´t all sit nicely in their chair and enjoy the ride (or the meal).

I am genuinely mystified why this theme seems to come up so often in these forums, sometimes to the point that people invoke the First Amendment to the US Constitution as if Groundspeak were the US Congress. Perhaps the ready availability of so much (apparently) "free" stuff on the Internet makes people think that once they´re sitting in front of their PC, they are in some special zone where the normal rules of economics and trade do not apply. If I want to be able to walk into the kitchen when I like, I´ll open my own restaurant.

Edited by sTeamTraen

From the Cache Listing Requirements / Guidelines, regarding when special exceptions to the guidelines may be made...

"Exceptions may sometimes be made, depending on the nature of a cache. If you have a novel type of cache that "pushes the envelope" to some degree, then it is best to contact your local reviewer and/or Groundspeak before placing and reporting it on the Geocaching.com web site. The guidelines should address most situations, but Groundspeak administrators and reviewers are always interested in new ideas."

For me, the listing of the I.S.S. as a cache easily meets the criteria of being both "novel" and also 'pushing the envelope' - What more novel container could one wish for, what greater envelope to be pushed than having a cache in space?

Such oddities in the World of Geocaching add an element of humour, and a bit of the "Wow factor" which is sadly lacking from many caches placed these days.

This is one I'm more than happy to add to my Watchlist. Thanks, iryshe :ph34r:

MrsB

For me, the listing of the I.S.S. as a cache easily meets the criteria of being both "novel" and also 'pushing the envelope' - What more novel container could one wish for, what greater envelope to be pushed than having a cache in space?

There is novel about this. It was already done before International Space Station and it was archived August 22, 2006 with the remark:

"It's an interesting concept but it no longer fits in the existing categories on Geocaching.com"

There is novel about this. It was already done before International Space Station and it was archived August 22, 2006 with the remark:

"It's an interesting concept but it no longer fits in the existing categories on Geocaching.com"

That was then, this is now.

That was locationless, this is a physical 'cache'.

Things change, evolve, develop.

That's life; That's geocaching.

MrsB

Sure, a cache that cannot be logged physically (technically and money wise not granted for the average geocacher) nor online (logging locked).

What a tremendous improvement!

I don't understand the problem with the ISS or the deep see one mentioned in the search jaunt blog., it was a bit of fun.

Maybe its because I am a noob to geocaching with a mere 6 finds under my belt, but, I took the two caches with the tongue in cheek approach which i think the owner intended people to take when creating them.

Where is the sense of humor peeps? remember, we are doing this to have fun after all!

Sure, a cache that cannot be logged physically (technically and money wise not granted for the average geocacher) nor online (logging locked).

What a tremendous improvement!

So I'll ask again, if it offends you so much why not simply ignore the caches and move on?

Why the need to keep linking articles, presumably things you've written, on another web site to make your point? You don't like the caches, other people don't care about them, chances are none of us are ever going to be able to go and retrieve them, so forget about them.

The humor and fun stops when you want to create such a cache yourself. For sure, it'll get refused by the reviewer with the guidelines as argument.

Your argument appears to boil down to "Groundspeak seems to feel like they can do what they like with this Web site, and I don't think that's fair".

If the site had been bequeathed to them for safe keeping by a charitable foundation which had specified that anyone should be allowed to post anything they like to it, that would be a fair point.

But Groundspeak built this site, and built their business around it. It's private property. We are allowed in here as long as we abide by the rules which govern our (not their) presence.

Maybe it's just me - but - as a Geocacher I feel kind of honoured that when someone has paid out several Million $ to visit the International Space Station, he felt it was worth the effort to take a TB tag with him and set up a cache that whilst an average cacher was never going to be in a position to pop out and find it, they would at least be able to talk about it and have a laugh about organising a trip to find it.

At an event I went to on Sunday, the ISS cache was a popular topic of fun conversation.

I'm just hoping it won't be too long before there's a cache on the Moon, or Mars....

When I started this thread I didn't foresee the interest in it :D

All I know is that there are tons of 5/5 caches, whether they are truly 5/5's or not, that are way out my league. I think the owner of the ISS cache hit the nail on the head.......he is an astronaut AND a geocacher, then maybe there are other astronauts that cache? A good chance there is.

I know I will NEVER be an astronaut.....also I will NEVER be a soldier, and there are caches on air bases in war zones that are , for me, forbidden. I don't have ANY problem with these caches....heck, I have some local ones that are 3/3's I haven't nabbed :ph34r:, maybe one day!

All I know is that there are tons of 5/5 caches, whether they are truly 5/5's or not, that are way out my league.

My thoughts entirely. There are some Cache U Nutter caches that aren't a huge distance from me and given my - ahem - dimensional and gravitational challenges some of them might as well be on the moon for all the chance I have of ever retrieving them. But their presence on the site doesn't detract from my enjoyment of caching and those cachers who can retrieve them have clearly enjoyed them very much.