Most hated swag

Anno Lynke

I find I don't really take any offence if the swag is plastic toys or kiddy beads or any other relatively usless junk, it really is all about the hunt, BUT!, It really ticked me off when we found a nice cache in a nice park which was to contain a trackable that was placed over a month ago. We find the cache, open it up, and no trackable, and the person before us said they left new hot wheels, and before that someone said they left something called troll beads. Well, none of that was there, and the box contained used beer coasters, matches, chewed up erasers and toys missing heads or faces and a broken leaking pen. So between the day before and us getting there, someone cleaned out the nice stuff, filled it with junk and didn't sign the log. So we trashed the matches (dumb thing to leave) tossed out the junk and emptied our swag bag to give the next hunter a better selection. And if the person who took the trackable was a cacher, why the bleep didn't you log you have it? Others have been looking for it and now no one knows where it is. Classless really!

Dirty underwear, trash, etc.... - We haven't been in the sport of geocaching for long and have not had the pleasure of finding such disgusting swag, but this thread makes it sound if the sport is full of hoodlums. :laughing: However, the few people that I have meet, so far, seem to be honest and environmentally friendly... Hopefully it's only a few that would do such childish pranks, if you can call it that???

Dirty underwear, trash, etc.... - We haven't been in the sport of geocaching for long and have not had the pleasure of finding such disgusting swag, but this thread makes it sound if the sport is full of hoodlums. :P However, the few people that I have meet, so far, seem to be honest and environmentally friendly... Hopefully it's only a few that would do such childish pranks, if you can call it that???

In a fair number of these instances, where meaningless or truly distasteful garbage has been left, it has been perpetrated by muggles. Possibly by jokers that used to cache (hence know something about caching) but have since stopped caching for one reason or another. They just want to continue being "jokers" (I'm being nice to use that term)!

OTOH, with the sport (or recreation if you prefer), open to all-comers there certainly will be that 10% or so who just want to be "funny". You have to take the good with the bad. Play the game as you would like to have others play it and don't fret too much about the rest. :P:laughing:

I still wonder if I shouldn't go back to the cache I found some time ago that contains a fairly high-end pocketknife (still in the plastic packaging). I've thought several times that I should have removed the knife, and every so often think about going back to get rid of it.

Um......why? I would think that if any kids make it out to the middle of nowhere they are probably responsible, or experienced, enough to have that knife. You can't just remove things just because you don't like them. I'd love to find a nice new knife in a cache.

Hi,

As far as swaps go, I've been lucky. I've never found anything that was offensive - some things that I thought were a bit dumb but then its a long time since I was a kid. I did find some very offensive stuff written in the log book of a cache by a muggle that seemed to think the comedy and crudity were the same thing. I tore the pages out.

Cheers,

Dan

Tho worst thing we found was a condom(still in package). We generally have our kids with us(5yr old, 3yr old & 6month old). That is not a kid-friendly item to leave.

My 5 year old daughter collects the golf balls.

My 3 year old daughter collects the army men.

They both like fake money/coins, stickers, bouncy balls and necklaces.

My 6 month old son doesn't collect anything yet. He would just chew on it and anything from a cache is not good for that use.

Gets my vote as most disgusting...

i second that vote, not only is that irresponcible but immature, blah!

I'm pretty new to geocaching and in the UK and I have to admit I've been disappointed to find rubbish left in caches.. stuff like old batteries, broken pipe clips etc.. it might seem that it's marginally better to leave some crap than to take something and not leave anything in return. But really! if you or your kids really want something from a cache and you don't have anything worthwhile swapping then do everyone a favour and don't leave anything.. but do return to the cache at a later date and make a drop of something more suitable!

I'm going to head off on a search of the forums in a minute to see what people do like finding in caches - as I have been pretty much a TNLN geocacher so far, I have had a look on the various site that sell geocaching stuff .. and their geoswag seems to be rather cheap, party bag stuff, which is a 5 minute wonder then binned!

I'm currently looking for ideas for good swap swag that doesn't cost a fortune! I'd also like to my first cache hid to be a real quality one, so gathering ideas for that too.

What's the view on finding caches that have rubbish in them.. is it ok to take and dispose of the crap leaving a nicer cache for others to find, or should the owner be messaged and informed and it left up to them to clear it out? I would love to be able to go round and clean out caches and leave some bits raising the general quality of caching swag.. but unfortunately I'm not made of money!

Some one mentioned bubble water as a hate.. I have left a couple before... I have a little one, so it was toy swaps.. is there a reason for hating this? obviously I understand opened half used is not good as it can leak. But the ones i have left have been new and foil sealed so there should be no trouble with leaking!

I still wonder if I shouldn't go back to the cache I found some time ago that contains a fairly high-end pocketknife (still in the plastic packaging). I've thought several times that I should have removed the knife, and every so often think about going back to get rid of it.

Um......why? I would think that if any kids make it out to the middle of nowhere they are probably responsible, or experienced, enough to have that knife. You can't just remove things just because you don't like them. I'd love to find a nice new knife in a cache.

"Cache Contents

Use your common sense in most cases. Explosives, fireworks, ammo, lighters, knives (including pocket knives and multi-tools), drugs, alcohol or other illicit material shouldn't be placed in a cache. As always respect the local laws. Geocaching is a family activity and cache contents should be suitable for all ages.

"

knives are against the rules, so i would say that you'd almost be wrong not to remove it.

What's the view on finding caches that have rubbish in them..
If it truly is rubbish, then CITO. But I reserve this for expired coupons, items destroyed by moisture, etc. I don't trash out the "worthless" toys, golf balls, stickers, etc.

Some one mentioned bubble water as a hate.. I have left a couple before... I have a little one, so it was toy swaps.. is there a reason for hating this? obviously I understand opened half used is not good as it can leak. But the ones i have left have been new and foil sealed so there should be no trouble with leaking!
Maybe yours are/were okay. But I've seen cache contents destroyed by leaking bubble solution bottles. As I said, the only "trade items" I really hate to see in caches are the ones that ruin the cache or its other contents.

Dirty underwear.

YUP...I have only 130+ finds and I have found a pink-bejeweled THONG right next to the cache, and right by another... may I put it this way,a very large womens support system (in like new condition). AT this rate of percentage I'm not sure what is around the corner.

Oh jeez, in our first cache I did leave a few containers of soap bubbles for the kids that will find it... Mine is full of toys and crafts for the kids to take one of. I made quite sure the soap bubble containers wouldnt leak before I left them there, and the other swag is all in packaging and my paperwork is laminated and sealed up too... I think it will be OK. I just hope the soap bubbles are the first things to go then! ;)

We havent found many caches yet, but the worst we have seen is a bunch of rocks that werent even neat looking. We found some stickers that were still in good condition, they were "california special constable" badges for the kids, they liked them and traded some canadian quarters for them.

I absolutely agree that that is a fantastic thing to leave in a cache. The kid may not use it immediately, but if he is active in the outdoors, in Scouts or does a lot of camping, it's perfect. Last year we went camping with my five year old and the owners of the site gave my son a Swiss Army type knife. He thought is was great and we put it away for when he is older. He does understand why we did that though.

I absolutely agree that that is a fantastic thing to leave in a cache. The kid may not use it immediately, but if he is active in the outdoors, in Scouts or does a lot of camping, it's perfect. Last year we went camping with my five year old and the owners of the site gave my son a Swiss Army type knife. He thought is was great and we put it away for when he is older. He does understand why we did that though.

Knives are against the rules, yea? Seems to me that's reason enough to remove when found and not leave in caches. I don't necessarily disagree with the point you're making, I just think it's worth sticking to convention within the sport.

Knives are against the rules, yea? Seems to me that's reason enough to remove when found and not leave in caches. I don't necessarily disagree with the point you're making, I just think it's worth sticking to convention within the sport.

While I'm all for taeching young men responcibility and all, isn't leaving a item that is against the rules going totally against it what your tryinfg to teach? now the youngsters may not know that it is against the rules, but does that matter. :) just athought

Business cards, not geocaching signature cards, but acutal 'bob's cars' business cards.

Less hated but still annoying for me would be:

expired coupons

rocks that apperently just rocks (polished rocks, and things that are tagged/identified are ok)

leaves, sticks, dead bugs (one or two might just be accidental but when you find half a dozen you start to wonder)

While I'm all for taeching young men responcibility and all, isn't leaving a item that is against the rules going totally against it what your tryinfg to teach? now the youngsters may not know that it is against the rules, but does that matter. :P just athought

Still new, missed this rule and I see it now. So yes, in terms of a cache, it should be removed.

I do find the knife rule unfortunate for my reasons stated.