eTREX VISTA HCx

I just got my eTrex Vista HCx for geocaching (Newbie). I am not totally sold on it but think it will work for right now. I swear I saw some where a post on free map downloads?? Can someone help me with that? Don't really want to pay $99.00 for maps!!! Thanks

what makes you "not totally sold on it"?

I just got my eTrex Vista HCx for geocaching (Newbie). I am not totally sold on it but think it will work for right now. I swear I saw some where a post on free map downloads?? Can someone help me with that? Don't really want to pay $99.00 for maps!!! Thanks

I would also recommend that you get at least a 2GB microSD card (it's what I use in my Vista HCx). The free maps on http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/ consume quite a bit of memory, but if you're not planning on loading all the maps for 1/4 of the U.S., then the 2GB should be more than enough.

Edited by rocketsteve

ive found the openstreet routable maps to be as good as the commercial products. Plus, if you find something missing you can go online and fix it!!!

They're great for the price (free :o ) but one thing I don't like is they're not "searchable" at least the one for Ontario Canada wouldn't let me search for an address.. :laughing:

Remember, "routable" and "searchable" are two whole different things. The Garmin City Navigator software can do both & both are invaluable. IMO worth $100, especially if you get that lifetime-upgrade option if they still have that