Making Bottlecap Geocache Containers

With time, effort, cost of epoxy...

I don't see these bottle caps as being worth it (to the geocaching community)

Being you don't see this being worth it. I would like to know what you use for your smaller caches? I am always up for suggestions.

Old WHITE screw on lid pill bottles and bison tubes for my micro caches. The pill bottles are watertight, despite what some will claim to the contrary.

I make the pill bottles magnetic by putting a flat neodymium magnet in the container before lining it with a cut piece of PVC pipe.

Total cost less than a quarter. Total time invested, about 1.5 minutes.

Old WHITE screw on lid pill bottles and bison tubes for my micro caches. The pill bottles are watertight, despite what some will claim to the contrary.

I make the pill bottles magnetic by putting a flat neodymium magnet in the container before lining it with a cut piece of PVC pipe.

Great I will have to look into those. Where do you get the pill bottles from? Do you line the pill bottles with PVC for strength, or is there another reason for the PVC lining?

Great I will have to look into those. Where do you get the pill bottles from? Do you line the pill bottles with PVC for strength, or is there another reason for the PVC lining?

See, there's the problem - you need to be heavily medicated to have a ready supply of pill bottles. And what's the co-pay on a pill bottle? Hmm? :tongue:

The PVC lining keeps the magnet in place and it makes extracting the logsheet much easier because it removes the ledge of the bottle.

PB0.JPG

PB1.JPG

PB2.JPG

PB3.JPG

PB4.JPG

See, there's the problem - you need to be heavily medicated to have a ready supply of pill bottles. And what's the co-pay on a pill bottle? Hmm? :(

They were sample bottles for my blood pressure medication. :tongue:

I would hardly call it "heavily medicated"

:)

See, there's the problem - you need to be heavily medicated to have a ready supply of pill bottles. And what's the co-pay on a pill bottle? Hmm? :(

So what's the problem with being heavily medicated? :tongue:

What sort of seal is in the cap? If it is the paper seal it wont last but some soft rubber or better yet silicone would be a better choice. Cutting the PVC square and the right length for it to seat against the seal is probably why you have good lock with 'em. Lord knows I've found enough of those wet inside.

It's a soft plastic seal.

As a rule, I don't put them exposed to the elements anyhow. I will likely place them under cover of some sort jut to make them less muggle prone.

Great idea about lining the bottle with pvc pipe. Solves the problem of how to get the log out. Thanks for posting it.

Great idea about lining the bottle with pvc pipe. Solves the problem of how to get the log out. Thanks for posting it.

No problemo.

I've found that the necks appear to be two different sizes. 3/4 PVC electrical conduit and 3/4 PVC water pipe.

YMMV

I have to agree. I had the same thought when I saw those pictures. I hate it when the coiled up log uncoils to fill the body of the bottle and you have to try to get it through the narrow neck. The tube is a good solution for that, as well as for holding the magnet in place.

I have to agree. I had the same thought when I saw those pictures. I hate it when the coiled up log uncoils to fill the body of the bottle and you have to try to get it through the narrow neck. The tube is a good solution for that, as well as for holding the magnet in place.

Well, ya know... Once in a while the Uber Genius knocks one out of the park.

lmao.gif

lmao.gif

Yup, good teamwork. I know, I know... it was your idea all along.

Edited by knowschad

lmao.gif

:(:):yikes: Give him some letter blocks and even a monkey will eventually spell a word! :tongue: great idea though bittsen!!!

We have done extensive research on the reasons for moisture inside cache containers and have come up with the following statistics:

Container cracked due to weather.or blunt force trauma : 7.67%

Container punctured by animal teeth :tongue: or claws: 4.98 %

Other: 2.88 %

Monkeys removing lids (estimate): 0.77%

Cachers failing to properly close container(includes ammo cans): 83.43%

Being you don't see this being worth it. I would like to know what you use for your smaller caches? I am always up for suggestions.

Try waterproof match containers. Under a buck at Walmart. Also, Nalgene Cryo Tubes.

Those look pretty awesome. At about 50 cents per, shipping unknown, look attractive. There's usually a lab supply lurking somewhere around, too. Might check the yellow pages and see what's in the neighborhood.

Try waterproof match containers. Under a buck at Walmart. Also, Nalgene Cryo Tubes.

Those look pretty awesome. At about 50 cents per, shipping unknown, look attractive. There's usually a lab supply lurking somewhere around, too. Might check the yellow pages and see what's in the neighborhood.

If you search around you can get them cheaper. The same site has 1,000 for $150 :lol: They are good containers. I don't hide many micros, but I have used them for the middle stages of multis. They keep everything dry.

Just to mention.....I made one of the bottle cap cache containers mentioned here. Quite easy and "neat". Thanks for the idea.

Glad you liked them. I had a quarter series (50 individual caches) that had a replica quarter inside each container. I would have kept it going but a family medical problem got in the way.

Odie

Okay I have made 4 of these thing and I used quick set epoxy and I was wondering if anyone has ever tried using a hot glue gun or anything else?

I've made a several using hot glue. The ones I made with soda pop bottle caps weren't waterproof for some reason. I had better luck with .5 liter drinking water bottles and caps, the caps that work for me have a ridge inside the cap. I also made some with magnets in the cap.

I really don't intend to place many micros, but these are fun to make, so maybe I'll just put them out in caches as trade items.

Several factors could be at play:

1. The cost of buying many nanos, vs. this technique. Not every family has disposable income.

2. They're eco-friendly as you are at least recycling a portion of something you'd usually just toss in the trash.

3. The challenge and satisfaction of making something yourself. i marvel more at these than a mass-produced Nano.

4. You see one and say "Wow. i could make that!" Then, you do and feel great about yourself.

5. Easily replaceable after being muggled.

That's just a few off the top of my little head :anicute:

1. The cost of buying many nanos, vs. this technique. Not every family has disposable income.

2. They're eco-friendly as you are at least recycling a portion of something you'd usually just toss in the trash.

3. The challenge and satisfaction of making something yourself. i marvel more at these than a mass-produced Nano.

4. You see one and say "Wow. i could make that!" Then, you do and feel great about yourself.

5. Easily replaceable after being muggled.

That's just a few off the top of my little head :anicute:

And, done properly they are at least as watertight as a L&L.

I've actually recycled some of my quarter series caches as stages for multi's where I have an embosing label maker (the type you turn the letter wheel and squeeze the trigger) and just make the next set of coords and put it inside.

Odie

On 2/3/2010 at 10:45 AM, Odie442 said:

Sorry no pictures in this version;

How to make a Soda Top Geocache Container.

Items you will need:

• Empty soda bottle with cap

• Second soda bottle cap (preferred to be same color)

• Scissors

• Crazy Glue (hot glue works but not as easy)

• (optional) Can Crusher for pressing.

Step #1

Your first step will be to wash the bottle and lids to make sure they are clean. Let dry completely before going to Step 2.

Step #2

Once parts are dry, cut the top of the soda bottle just below the neck of the bottle where the bottle starts to flare out. Cut completely around the bottle to remove the top of bottle. Do not worry about the excess at this time.

Step #3

Now is when you will take your scissors and trim off the excess bottle around the neck leaving just a little bit of a lip to hold onto the second bottle cap.

Step #4

Now remove main bottle cap by unscrewing it from bottle remnant. Take remnant and place onto the second bottle top. You may need to force it just a bit depending on how much of a lip you left after cutting. Don’t worry if it does not go all the way on at this point.

Step #5

Now it is best if you have some kind of press whether it be a soda can crusher or a vice, either one works best and saves your hands from the squeezing. Screw the main bottle cap back onto the remnant to form your container. I used a can crusher for my press, but you can use whatever you would like. Place container into the press and squeeze gently together applying just enough force to push together. Be careful because to much force can cause the second lid to crack.

Step #6

This is your final step in assembly of your container. With both lids on the now pressed container, take your crazy glue and run a small bead of glue around the bottom (part that does not unscrew) of the container between the cap and remnant. This will help hold the container together better and also create a water tight seal. Set aside and allow glue to dry. I know most crazy glues are fast acting, but I generally allow mine to sit for at least 30 minutes. Once dry you can unscrew and add your log sheet to the container. Your Geocache Container is now ready to be hidden anywhere your heart desires.

This is great! # 5 confuses me a bit though but I'm sure I'll figure it out. These are great for urban areas. Strong magnets are glued to the bottom. 

On 2/3/2010 at 4:03 PM, bittsen said:

Rocks in a rock pile get a quick drive-by.

I'm aware these posts are old but so interesting! Another member gave me the link because I wanted to know how to make bottle cap caches. Anyway,  we found a rock pile cache one time, looked for the longest time. I don't think I'll do one again. But it was a nice sunny day and we even got photos of two Bald Eagles sitting high in a tree watching us!  

On 5/10/2010 at 7:36 PM, ohmerfam said:

I would rather find a bottle cap cache than a nano!  Easier to hold and unscrew and the log is larger, usually accordian fold & shaped like a hexagon. 

On 5/10/2010 at 7:31 PM, knowschad said:

I'm curious about the wide appeal these seem to have. I'll admit that it is (was?) a clever technique, and obviously they are free, aside from whatever glue/sealant is used, but aside from that, I don't get it. Can somebody explain? :anicute:

I have found a few hidden under fence caps. The appeal is that although small, they are easier to handle than nano caches and the logs are easier to sign. And you can glue strong magnets to the bottom, hide it in urban areas on anything metal. Paint them grey to match the metal. Some are a challenge to find. We searched for a long time in a nearby city near a bus stop. It was right in front of us and we didn't see it! Felt foolish about that. lol 

Here's the rock pile. Try searching for a small cache in that! lol It's actually a hill, we messaged the CO for another hint...close to the bottom of the hill he said. Helped a little. We finally found it.   But like I mentioned, it was all worth it getting a photo of the two Bald Eagles. I posted their photo just now in the Photography section. 

rock pile.jpg

Edited by HunterandSamuel
10 hours ago, HunterandSamuel said:

Anyway,  we found a rock pile cache one time, looked for the longest time. I don't think I'll do one again. But it was a nice sunny day and we even got photos of two Bald Eagles sitting high in a tree watching us!  

I'm not a fan of Needle In A Haystack hides, like a fake rock in a pile of similar rocks. But I've found caches where the fake rock stood out as being different if you looked and thought about it for a bit. And I found one where the fake rock was magnetic, and a simple magnetic compass would tell you which one it was without much effort.

Edited by niraD

I have a cache right next to a gabion. So many searchers have DNF'd it. They see all the rocks and assume its among them. The cache is something very different, a glue stick! It's been there some years now and has never had a problem with water ingress. Also, by removing the cap and turning the base the log roll slides out easily. Putting it back in is the reverse.

9 hours ago, niraD said:

I'm not a fan of Needle In A Haystack hides, like a fake rock in a pile of similar rocks. But I've found caches where the fake rock stood out as being different if you looked and thought about it for a bit. And I found one where the fake rock was magnetic, and a simple magnetic compass would tell you which one it was without much effort.

I agree! This one was a capsule tube. Very hard to find although it was purple in color.  We left it peeking out for the next cacher.  We found a large red stone rock with a hole drilled into it to hold a capsule cache on the bike path. It was real neat! It certainly stood out on a pile of grey drainage rocks but it's original location was under a granite stone bench nearby. Cachers and we think maintenance (who mowed around the bench) kept placing it on the grey rock pile. lol  I call it the bike path but it's really called a rail trail for walkers, roller bladers, and bikes. No motorized vehicles are allowed, not even 4 wheelers. 

7 hours ago, colleda said:

The cache is something very different, a glue stick! It's been there some years now and has never had a problem with water ingress. Also, by removing the cap and turning the base the log roll slides out easily. Putting it back in is the reverse.

What a great idea! I've seen golf ball caches and wondered...won't children or dogs pick them up ? lol 

On 1/25/2020 at 6:58 AM, HunterandSamuel said:

What a great idea! I've seen golf ball caches and wondered...won't children or dogs pick them up ? lol 

I went in search of a D4 cache that had not yet been found. The area around GZ had a lot of large rocks used to build a levee where one of the tributaries to our local lake comes in.  I looked around a bit and saw a pen on the ground, and figured if it worked I could use it, so stuck it in my pocket.  I didn't find anything else, but on the way back to my car I saw what appeared to be some bear scat on the ground.  I took a photo of it, and used the pen for size reference, and posted the photo here asking if anyone knew if it was bear scat (consensus was that it probably was).  After I was I was home for a while I had a thought.  I reached into my pocket, pulled out the pen,  took it apart, and there was a log inside.  I returned the pen/cache to it's hiding spot the next day.  The cache didn't last more than a week though.  Ballpoint pens aren't very water resistant.  

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 1
34 minutes ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

After I was I was home for a while I had a thought.  I reached into my pocket, pulled out the pen,  took it apart, and there was a log inside.  I returned the pen/cache to it's hiding spot the next day.  The cache didn't last more than a week though.  Ballpoint pens aren't very water resistant.  

That is hilarious!  A while ago a new cache popped up. We raced out the door to get FTF.  Searched for a long time. We usually give a search about 20-30 minutes but we really wanted the FTF, our first ever. All we found was a child's toy covered with leaves, a plastic sword in a sheath. My husband decided to open it and there was the log inside the sheath. lol I'm going to check the logs to see if it's still there. I don't think it would be too waterproof.