Help with My GArmin etrex Legend

rob.marsh

Hi all,

I am a noob to geocaching, and I am looking at getting my Explorer Scouts going with Geocaching too.

Through a program run with Garmin an the scout association our unit have got two Garmin etrex Legends. They are the black and white version. How can I tell iff it is the etrex Legend or the H version from the device itself? I am currently waiting on a cable to connect to my PC so can't check that way.

The reason I ask, is because that severly affects what maps I can store on there as the Legend has only *MB storage and the H version 24MB.

I intend to load openstreetmap's maps onto the devices but if its the 8MB version I'm not sure that will be possible as even the split south east map is 19MB or there abouts. Anyone know how I can split that down further?

Sorry for all the noob questions peeps, I'm still trying to get my head round these! :D

Thanks

Rob

I intend to load openstreetmap's maps onto the devices but if its the 8MB version I'm not sure that will be possible as even the split south east map is 19MB or there abouts. Anyone know how I can split that down further?

The simplest way is to install MapSource on a PC and then use the MapSource version of the GB OSM maps that I offer, you can select smaller areas then and send those to the Legend's internal memory.

Hope this helps?

Regards,

Martin

Edited by talkytoaster

The simplest way is to install MapSource on a PC and then use the MapSource version of the GB OSM maps that I offer, you can select smaller areas then and send those to the Legend's internal memory.

Hope this helps?

Regards,

Martin

I have the H unit with 24mb, and I use the method described above. Can get all of central England, plus some North and south bits of the map on 24mb.

Very occasionaly (about once a year), I'll deselect bits of the map, and select new bits if I'm on holiday in the UK.

Hope this helps?

Regards,

Martin

I have the H unit with 24mb, and I use the method described above. Can get all of central England, plus some North and south bits of the map on 24mb.

Very occasionaly (about once a year), I'll deselect bits of the map, and select new bits if I'm on holiday in the UK.

If you can get hold of a copy of the MapSource 'Roads & Recreaction' CD, the map tiles on that are a lot less memory hungry as there is no routing data. You could load a fair sized chunk of the UK into the 8mb available on the old legend. You'd probably get most of England onto 24mb.

Hi all,

What I have ended up doing is using Open streetmap as the map provider, and extracting the area that I want on the GPS.

Then, with the help of this link (http://freegeographytools.com/2007/converting-openstreetmap-data-into-gpx-or-garmin-img-format) I converted the osm file to a garmin IMG file using Mkgmap and uploaded it to garmin legen.

It worked a treat once I got my head round the command line prompts of mkgmap!

Cheers for all your help and sorry for the late reply!

Rob