which of the two oregon 400t or 60CSx

trappernut

i have studied and studied these two devices and researched and researched these units. i have almost always found that once you narrow it down to 2, ask the simple question which one would you pick, and after about a week, i add them up, and that is how i make my decision. whether it would be a gps, or anything else. and every time i do this, i have always loved the end result of what i go with. now i do know the differences between the 2, and i want people who have used gps and been geo caching for a long time to give me your choice. now the only thing i dont care about is paperless caching, downloading from computer to gps, (it would be a great accet) but taking the time to write stuff on paper, writing down notes and drawing little maps its part of the expeirance for me. however i do love maps and i love to download maps in my gps. would like to use it as a tom tom for traveling. so without further udo with what info i said about which one would you pick? you can just pick one or the other you dont have to get into detail if you dont want to.

one other thing my buddy is been arguing with me about this question. a plain, new, but cheap say 100 bucks gps really no features on it, no mapping, no downloading, no built in compass, just a plain jane that basically gives cordanites, can you still geo cach with it, have fun, and not get real frustrated with it all the time? you can just answer yes or no, you dont have to elaborate.

thank you so much for the info.

Ignoring budget, I would go for the 400t because for me the paperless caching features trump the brighter screen and reputed higher accuracy of the 60csx. However, if given a choice, I would get the 450 instead and download free maps from OSM and GPSFileDepot.

Since the 60csx does not come with maps, a better comparison would be with the Oregon 300. Which I own, incidentally.

Edited by Chrysalides

one other thing my buddy is been arguing with me about this question. a plain, new, but cheap say 100 bucks gps really no features on it, no mapping, no downloading, no built in compass, just a plain jane that basically gives cordanites, can you still geo cach with it, have fun, and not get real frustrated with it all the time? you can just answer yes or no, you dont have to elaborate.

Yes, I personally know people that do just that.

after researching half the night, i have decided on the oregon 550t instead of the 400t. the thing is, is the preloaded maps on the oregon 400`s and up, none of them come with my area. i need the southeastern US. but i can buy that later, its just that sometimes buying gpses with loaded maps dont always benefit you. but anyway its a debate between oregon 550t or the 60CSx. so you all just let me know what you would get. forget budget, though i hope my wife dont read this. thanks for your alls in put.

after researching half the night, i have decided on the oregon 550t instead of the 400t. the thing is, is the preloaded maps on the oregon 400`s and up, none of them come with my area. i need the southeastern US. but i can buy that later, its just that sometimes buying gpses with loaded maps dont always benefit you. but anyway its a debate between oregon 550t or the 60CSx. so you all just let me know what you would get. forget budget, though i hope my wife dont read this. thanks for your alls in put.

I went from the 60CSx to a 550, and love the new unit. The 60 has been sold because I never used it again once I had the 550.

I wouldn't get the T model, though. Buying the Topos separately cost about the same in my case, and having them on dvd meant I could install them on the computer and do route planning there, which you can't do with a T model.

Geocaching is only one of the things I use a gps for. I need accuracy and reliability. Had an Oregon 300 for a while, but managed to trade it for a 60csx for only $100 financial loss - I'm happy now. 'nuff said.

I own a 60CSX and an OR300. When I take them both for a walk and compare the tracklog don't notice any significant difference in accuracy. But I don't geocache.

Regarding the OP's conclusions. I don't know if the "t" is worth the extra money. You get 100k maps of the US, which smooth out the detail, and a little more internal free memory, which you can substitute for by purchasing a bigger microSDHC. Personally, I'd go for a 300, or a 450 (nicer compass), and carry a separate camera.

Since you don't care about paperless caching I'd say the 60CSX hands down. It's a time proven unit that is incredibly durable, holds a sat lock better than any unit I've seen and does everything well.

When the Oregon came out the 60CSX had a distinct advantage in reception and accuracy. Here is a tracklog comparison of the two.

Since then the new firmware has made the Oregon better and the 660CSX no longer has the SiRF III chipset so perhaps the differences have lessened. I've seen no data yet.

But since you are using it for geocaching I assure you that you will care about paperless caching, eventually. Carrying around stacks of cache pages gets old real fast. So go with the Oregon.

You can geocache with a very basic unit like the Garmin eTrex H. Many thousands of people do successfully.

However the features in the higher end units make geocaching a lot easier. Basic GPS units point to the cache but don't tell you anything about what is between you and the cache. You can hike 2 miles to a cache only to find a river between you and the cache. Units with topo maps can help you avoid situations like that and plan the best route.

In addition to mapping, other features like additional waypoint capacity (most basic units are limited to 500 waypoints), turn by turn driving directions, magnetic compasses, USB connections are all appreciated by most geocachers.

BTW. I'm not aware of any hand held GPS that does not have some sort of compass. This is the most basic feature a hand held unit can have. It may not be magnetic, but they all still have compasses.

I have both a 60CSx and a 550t. I never use my 60CSx anymore, but carry it as a backup unit. It's more durable than the Oregon, gets 3 times the battery life and probably more waterproof. I depend on the 3 axis compass and paperless ability of the Oregon. If I didn't care about paperless or the 3 axis compass I'd probably prefer the 60. But for now it's the Oregon 550t hands down...

I’ve been Geocaching with a 60CSx with Topo Canada and Topo USA for several years. I just got an Oregon 200 and loaded my Topo maps onto it. I’m very pleased with it and my 60 has become my backup unit, although I left it at home when I went out caching yesterday. BTW it also does a great job in Auto navigating.

OREGON hands down.

Based on your criteria, without question, the 60CSX ( I have the 76CSX which basically the same and floats). Get your maps from gpsfiledepot.com, free and the 1:24k maps are more accurate than the outdated 1:100k "T" maps that come with those series' of Garmin GPSr's.

Be safe.

N

Unless you really want the camera, I'd suggest a 450t instead of a 550t.

... 400t or 60CSx...

400t: Better paperless caching.

60CSx: Better sreen for outdoor use.

I've used both. I like the paperless, and I like being able to see the sceen in the sun.

With the 300 (what I have) I can carry one device but have to monkey with the screen to see it.

With the 60 I carried a PDA/Smartphone for the paperless but had to moneky with two devices to get the results I wanted.

In my case I chose to monkey with the screen as simpler than monkeying with two devices.

If the 400t has a outdoor friendly screen which the 300 clearly doesn't, it would be a completely easy choice.

Edit: Read more. That you don't care about paperless caching, makes it an easy choice. Get the 60.

Edited by Renegade Knight

One thing nobody's mentioned yet is the Oregon's ability to wirelessly send waypoints and tracks (and pictures, if the unit has a camera) between compatible units.

As it says on the Garmin Oregon page:

"Share Wirelessly

With Oregon 450 you can share your waypoints, tracks, routes and geocaches wirelessly (with) other compatible Oregon, Colorado and Dakota users. Now you can send your favorite hike to your friend to enjoy or the location of a cache to find. Sharing data is easy. Just touch “send” to transfer your information to similar units."

Edited by Dr Jeckyl and Mr Hide

I bought my first GPSr last summer and initially it was a toss-up between the Oregon 400t and 60CSx. I read the reviews on both and the edge seemed to go the way of the 60CSx. However, I was very interested in the paperless feature of the Oregon so I ended up buying it. A friend of mine has a 60CSx and when we're out geocaching together, sometimes he's right on and sometimes it's my Oregon that's more accurate. If there is a difference, I don't believe it's a significant one. I find the Oregon to be very easy to learn and operate and I love the paperless feature. Not once have I wished that I got the 60 CSx. In fact, I purchased a second Oregon 400t as a backup unit and as a unit I can let a newbie use when I teach them the ropes. I have a feeling that I'll soon be getting an Oregon 450t and giving one of the 400t's to my daughter.

the only thing i dont care about is paperless caching, downloading from computer to gps, (it would be a great accet) but taking the time to write stuff on paper, writing down notes and drawing little maps its part of the expeirance for me.

thank you so much for the info.

Last year when I finally got committee approval to upgrade my old eTrex Legend (non-H model that just couldn't hold lock under tree cover) I had the same dilema.

Price was an issue as I'm a bit on the thrifty side but I wanted a unit that would be easy for me to use (as well as the committee, err, uuh the wife) and also wanted something that didn't break me up.

The 400t was immediately out, as was the 300 and I gave the 60csx a good hard look. As I researched more I found that there were deals to be had o the 300 that made it attractive too. Then I lucked into a deal on my 400t that saved me enough money to choose it over the 300.

I love my Oregon and I really haven't looked back.

My main reason for the Oregon over the 60Csx was the touch screen and ease of navigation between screens. The bigger screen was a plus too. I like the menu system and love the overall design of the system. One of the things I hated on my old Legend was the constant clicking around with a joystick to do entry of coords and navigating the menus.

In my case - paperless was a significant part of my decision and when I found a more palatable price on the Oregon the decision was made.

The good news is that regardless of what decision you make, you'll have a top notch GPSr that will serve you well for years to come. Both of these units are proven accurate, flexible and are well loved amongst their users.

I had a 60Cx. It was a great unit. Unfortunately, it's at the bottom of the Erie Canal.

I've replaced it with an Oregon 550. As far as I'm concerned there is no comparison. I find the Oregon to be as accurate as the 60. It's also much easier to use, has more options, has a larger screen, allows custom maps, etc...

I only have two minor caveats. One is the screen brightness issue. I find the screen very easy to read in direct sunlight (with the sun on the screen), but in other conditions you may have move it around to get the best angle. That's not really an issue if you are hiking, but I can imagine it could be a problem hiking or biking. To be honest, I just run it at max backlight most of the time. I think it's perfectly readable with the backlight on.

That leads to the other caveat. I find it chews through batteries faster than the 60Cx (probably because I'm running it with the backlight on).

Anyway, I was worried about going with the Oregon as a replacement. I'm really glad I did, and I wouldn't go back. I would suggest looking at the 450s or 550s, however, as I believe the screen is slightly improved over the x00 series.

One thing nobody's mentioned yet is the Oregon's ability to wirelessly send waypoints and tracks (and pictures, if the unit has a camera) between compatible units.

"Share Wirelessly

With Oregon 450 you can share your waypoints, tracks, routes and geocaches wirelessly (with) other compatible Oregon, Colorado and Dakota users. Now you can send your favorite hike to your friend to enjoy or the location of a cache to find. Sharing data is easy. Just touch “send” to transfer your information to similar units."

I've never used it. I wish Garmin would make a wireless USB module though, so that I can connect it to the PC wirelessly instead of fiddling around with that rubber boot every time.

"Share Wirelessly

I've never used it. I wish Garmin would make a wireless USB module though, so that I can connect it to the PC wirelessly instead of fiddling around with that rubber boot every time.

My wife and I send files back and forth between our Oregons - it's really handy. As more people get wireless capable units, the feature will become more useful, I think.

Edited by Dr Jeckyl and Mr Hide

Another advantage to the Oregon:

Forgot to mention the "profiles" feature - very handy in that you can create a separate car or bike profile which stores map availability settings so if you normally use City Navigator and calculate "On Road for Time" when you're in the car, you can set it to Topo maps if you have them and "Off road" in your bike profile.

You can create multiple (and seemingly limitless) variations on these profiles to suit any occasion.

The Oregon 550 comes with NiMh batteries and a charger, something which people tend to overlook.

I had a 60Cx. It was a great unit. Unfortunately, it's at the bottom of the Erie Canal.

That's why I have the 76CSx.

It's the same as the 60CSx, just in a different case and it FLOATS !!!

I do also have the 400t. I don't like the way the 400t does not lay flat due to it's round shape on the back.

It makes it unusable to use on a boat where you have to lay the unit down on the console.

And I have to agree with a previous poster that the screen on the 76CSx is GREAT. You can read it in ANY type of lighting compared to the 400t.

That's why I have the 76CSx.

It's the same as the 60CSx, just in a different case and it FLOATS !!!

How do you know that dropping it into the Erie Canal wasn't part of the plan to get a new gps? :lol:

Now... WHY didn't I think of that. ;)

Dropping it was entirely unintentional I can assure you! Ironically, I looked at the 76CSx, but the 60Cx was cheaper. I figured, what is the likelihood that I will care that it doesn't float. Life's funny that way. Of course, the Oregon doesn't float either, but I'm going to be a much more careful this time around.

When I was researching the issue, my only concerns with replacing the 60 with an Oregon were (a) accuracy and (:lol: screen visibility. I haven't noticed any accuracy issues. It is annoying that WAAS doesn't seem to work right, but even without WAAS I find the unit very accurate. Given that Garmin changed the chipset in the 60CSX/76CSx units, accuracy doesn't seem to be a reason to pick one over the other any more.

Screen visbility is something of an issue, but I find the unit fine with the backlight on (though you might want to carry a spare set of batteries). And it is so easy to use and customizable that I wouldn't go back. Again, I'm using a x50 unit, which is supposed to have a slightly better screen than the x00s.

The wife has the Oregon, and I use a Rhino, which is a lot closer to the 60CSx. I love the way the Rino works, but I miss the paperless Geocaching. I personally like the older style, but would really like to get rid of a second device for logs and such.

I'll probably eventually get the new Oregon. I now the camera isn't great, but sure would be handy. I always have my camera set down to about 1 meg anyway so I can email them and whatever.