Golf balls?

worstcaster

I just got "The complete idiot's guide to geocaching" earlier today from the library. It says golf balls are the most hated item to leave at a cache. I don't golf, but aside from being boring what is the problem with used golf balls?

The book reflects the opinion of the author. I don't think there's ever been a formal poll. There's been great debate about what swag is the most hated, and there'll always be someone saying they like it. One item that comes to mind is old bottle caps.

It's because geocachers don't like golf courses because they take up to much primo caching space ..!! Just kidding of course (no pun intended). It's all a matter of preference. I play golf and don't mind trading for an occasional golf ball in a cache now and then. Problem is cache types and their contents are all subjective to what cachers think is good, which really isn't a problem. For every cacher that dislikes a golf ball there is another who may love to trade for one. If people don't like the swag in a cache, move on and find another with better stuff just ensure you trade even or up or don't trade at all..!!

I don't golf, but aside from being boring what is the problem with used golf balls?

There is no problem. Some don't like golf balls as swag, other collect them. Same with lanyards, keychains, sea shells and other stuff.

There is no recommendation by Groundspeak against trading golf balls. So, I don't see a need to invent a new rule or even use terms like "most hated".

What should not be placed in a cache? People of all ages hide and seek caches, so think carefully before placing an item into a cache. Explosives, ammunition, knives, drugs and alcohol should not be placed in a cache. Respect the local laws. Food items are always a bad idea. Animals have better noses than humans, and in some cases caches have been chewed through and destroyed because of food items in a cache. Please do not put food in a cache.

GermanSailor

I googled for "golf ball cannons". Suddenly, golf balls look like useful swag :D
So, that's how they ended up way out there in the thick woods! I've always wondered about that. I suspect that most of the balls left as swag were simply picked up on the way to the cache. I leave any nice clean, new ones, but trash out the old dirty nicked up ones. I'm saving them for a Christmas present for Bittsen.

We have a very interesting golfball-related cache around here: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...b4e6d&log=y

Young Triskele found a neon green golf ball in a cache a few weeks ago. He thought it was the coolest swag ever...until he found a four-leaf clover pendant in a different one the next day. Kids (at least mine) loves to find golf balls.

I, however, am not happy when he leaves them out, the cats bat them around, then I step on them en route to the bathroom in the middle of the night...

I leave any nice clean, new ones, but trash out the old dirty nicked up ones. I'm saving them for a Christmas present for Bittsen.

Maybe mount each one on top of an old bottle cap :D

I seem to recall reading about someone who collects, washes, and paints golf balls then leave them as a signature item, but could not find the article / post the last time I tried.

Edited by Chrysalides

What bugs me about the golf balls is they are filthy so they damage other items in the cache and make the cache an unappealing pile of junk. It's really lazy and disrespectful to put filthy stuff in the cache. It doesn't seem the golf ball swaggers are mindful of breaking other items in the cache before placing.

Young Triskele found a neon green golf ball in a cache a few weeks ago. He thought it was the coolest swag ever...until he found a four-leaf clover pendant in a different one the next day. Kids (at least mine) loves to find golf balls.

I, however, am not happy when he leaves them out, the cats bat them around, then I step on them en route to the bathroom in the middle of the night...

So, what is worse? The golf balls or the hair balls?

I just got "The complete idiot's guide to geocaching" earlier today from the library. It says golf balls are the most hated item to leave at a cache. I don't golf, but aside from being boring what is the problem with used golf balls?

A while back Golf ball swag became one of those community jokes, like hamsters. Among other cachers I think Carleenp was presented with an ammocan stocked full of dirty golf balls. I'm a bit surprised it was mentioned in the book as hated swag, but not too surprised.

Currently I only have enough hamsters to fill a peanut butter jar. It might be a while since they keep getting out.

So, what is worse? The golf balls or the hair balls?

The worst is when you're awakened in the middle of the night by the sound of a cat about to "release" a hairball...and then you realize it's the cat who is curled up next to your head. This has happened more than once... B)

Nothing. I like them. They make good targets at the range and are too expensive to buy at the pro shop for target practice. Trading for one in a cache works well enough for me.

One mans trash is another mans treasure.

I just got "The complete idiot's guide to geocaching" earlier today from the library.

Let me know if it's a book worth buying. OK??

It's OK. The sections on search patterns and limitations of your GPS are interesting. If you have a local library you can read it for free. Mine did not have this book, but can get books from any library in the system. They sent the book to my library from one approx 50-60 miles away.

Collect the "hole" set

That's OK. Something collectible is preferable.

I often find golf balls in caches at golf courses. Some people grab a ball off the ground, drop it in the container, and take something nice for it. They did not sign the golf ball, write the name of the cache or golf course on it, nor even wipe the mud off. I don’t “hate” golf balls, but it just looks like the person that places one is coveting something in the container, didn’t plan ahead to trade, and picked up the first thing they found -- the kind of ball the rest of us could have pocketfuls of if we wanted. At least there was a golf ball available, so they didn’t have to trade a candy wrapper.

For trade-up-or-trade-even calculations, the value of a chipped ordinary golf ball is twenty-five cents. That’s being very generous, including delivery to the cache. If it’s a wonderful cache, add a little for sentimental value.

But I've never found an old bottle cap in a cache container. Now that would be something.

Edited by kunarion

I have noticed an interesting trend!!! Instead of golf balls, I have been finding golf TEES. I have just a starter number of caches found, and haven't found a single golf ball. :ph34r:

I have , however, found three tees. I'm hoping if it started with tees, then graduated to golf balls, if I stay on "large" size caches, I might find a putter soon. ( I need a new one) :ph34r: Need to figure out what would be a fair trade for it.

I just got "The complete idiot's guide to geocaching" earlier today from the library.

Let me know if it's a book worth buying. OK??

I saw this book in a library once while searching for a cache. The cache container was located right next to the book. It was a fake book with a variation of "The complete idiot's guide to geocaching" as it's title.

I'm curious. In the title of the book, is the "complete idiot" referring to the person reading it or the person who wrote it?

Maybe they found an ammo can in the woods loaded full of them and the log to sign was hiding in one of them. :lol: