MapSource software version 6.15.11

allory

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=209

Changes made from version 6.15.7 to 6.15.11:

* Improved performance for custom draw elements.

* Made sure waypoints of type 'Geotagged Photo' don't crash MapSource.

* Allowed the import and export of unlock codes.

* Made sure unlocking changes get propagated without needing to restart the application.

* Phone numbers that were imported from gpx files were not written back out again. This is now fixed.

* Added support for enhanced map security.

* Fixed unlocking issue.

* Implemented Asian 6-level address search.

* Improved trimming performance for some Asian map products.

Projection still not working....

What about 3rd party locked maps?

I might suggest a caution to people not to upgrade if they *bought* third party maps based on what I saw on some other forums, until the (3rd party locked) map authors updated their products.

From this it looks like there's still a problem with most nonGarmin locked maps:

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/map_authors/message/11804

Same problem as before with Windows 7 64-bit. Constant crashes and can't send to GPS. :D

I hope they get this fixed before I go on vacation (where I need different maps).

If it's critical, try loading MapSource in a 32-bit Virtual Machine -- download VMWare Player (free) and install Windows XP 32 bit as a guest OS. You can map the USB/Serial ports to the VM and send to GPS using that.

I might suggest a caution to people not to upgrade if they *bought* third party maps based on what I saw on some other forums, until the (3rd party locked) map authors updated their products.

Unfortunately, this is really a cgpsmapper problem, not a Garmin problem. Garmin have confirmed they had no intent to cause this problem, but probably cannot fix it. Garmin changed the locking system for new maps and tightened up security to reduce piracy. cGPSmapper has been using FIDs that are not within the allowable range set by Garmin. As it is a non-dislosed and proprietary format, this is bound to happen when making software from reverse engineering.

Same problem as before with Windows 7 64-bit. Constant crashes and can't send to GPS. :D

I hope they get this fixed before I go on vacation (where I need different maps).

If you aren't up for VMware. Try Basecamp. It only crashes once every 15 minutes, and up to now hasn't crashed when I was sending a mapset. Also, unless you have locked maps, you can probably create gmapsupp.IMGs with Sendmap2.0.

If you aren't up for VMware. Try Basecamp. It only crashes once every 15 minutes, and up to now hasn't crashed when I was sending a mapset. Also, unless you have locked maps, you can probably create gmapsupp.IMGs with Sendmap2.0.

Which is fine if all the maps your sending are visible in basecamp.

I'm using Basecamp in Win7. Showing my ignorance here. Are there maps that are visible in MapSource that aren't in Basecamp? Everything I've installed shows up both places, like both programs were reading the same registry settings.

I'm using Basecamp in Win7. Showing my ignorance here. Are there maps that are visible in MapSource that aren't in Basecamp? Everything I've installed shows up both places, like both programs were reading the same registry settings.

Yes. Northwest Trails is one example. I have maps for parks in the San Francisco Bay area. I'm sure there are others. Any map without DEM data will not show up in basecamp but will work just fine with mapsource.

Yes. Northwest Trails is one example. I have maps for parks in the San Francisco Bay area. I'm sure there are others. Any map without DEM data will not show up in basecamp but will work just fine with mapsource.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong but it works for me

6e44ff6f-6717-425b-b71b-fd25d4426560.jpg

The newer version (2.0.0.9) of BaseCamp supports maps w/o DEM. I was looking at CityNav in BC a few minutes ago.

GO$Rs

The newer version (2.0.0.9) of BaseCamp supports maps w/o DEM. I was looking at CityNav in BC a few minutes ago.

GO$Rs

Ah! maybe I better upgrade my BaseCamp. Never bothered before because of support without DEM. Thanks!

Maybe I'm doing something wrong but it works for me

6e44ff6f-6717-425b-b71b-fd25d4426560.jpg

I guess you are doing something wrong. BaseCamp updated to 2.0.9 and NWT updated to 1.54. NWT will show up on the drop down but will not show anything on the map.

I guess you are doing something wrong. BaseCamp updated to 2.0.9 and NWT updated to 1.54. NWT will show up on the drop down but will not show anything on the map.

Wonder what I'm doing wrong, I'm getting the maps just fine and dandy, here's the same area in three different maps including NW Trails v1.54:

US TOPO 2008 (w/DEM):

1265242145.jpg

Trails 100 (without DEM):

1265242219.jpg

NW Trails v1.54 (without DEM):

1265242474.jpg

Edited by coggins

Wonder what I'm doing wrong, I'm getting the maps just fine and dandy, here's the same area in three different maps including NW Trails v1.54:

US TOPO 2008 (w/DEM):

Well, what ever your doing wrong, keep doing it. Doesn't work for me so I guess I'll just stick with mapsource.

For those of you who've resisted updating Mapsource because of the locked 3rd party maps issue, or who might have upgraded and lost access to locked maps altogether, this might help:

Mapsource Reverse Converter

Here's a bit of the description from the site:

When you install City Navigator Europe NT (or a nüMaps Lifetime update for this map), MapSource 6.15.x will be installed too. 6.15.x is much slower than 6.13.7; on an older PC it might even be unworkable (not to mention the ugly distortion of the maps).

The problem is that MapSource 6.13.7 cannot use these maps, because the files have a new format (actually the same as RoadTrip for Mac OS X uses).

MapReverseConverter is an universal program, not only for City Navigator Europe NT, but for any map in the new format.

-------------------

For those of you who've resisted updating Mapsource because of the locked 3rd party maps issue, or who might have upgraded and lost access to locked maps altogether, this might help:

Mapsource Reverse Converter

Here's a bit of the description from the site:

When you install City Navigator Europe NT (or a nüMaps Lifetime update for this map), MapSource 6.15.x will be installed too. 6.15.x is much slower than 6.13.7; on an older PC it might even be unworkable (not to mention the ugly distortion of the maps).

The problem is that MapSource 6.13.7 cannot use these maps, because the files have a new format (actually the same as RoadTrip for Mac OS X uses).

MapReverseConverter is an universal program, not only for City Navigator Europe NT, but for any map in the new format.

-------------------

I found no problems with using Mapsource under Win 7 (32 or 64bits). If you install illegal maps with the reg file than it goes wrong with Win 7 64 bits in the registry.

Since the update of Mapsource 6.15.11 I experience problems with maps of onRoute (3th party). Mapsource doesn't recognize the licence keys anymore.

My computer came with both the 64 bit and 32 bit versions of windows explorer, so whenever I have issues with the newer version I just open the older version and work in their. I am surprised that all computers using windows 7 aren't configured this way.

I'm not sure I understand. Do you mean your system is a dual-boot system? That is, you have to boot it into either 32-bit Win 7 or 64-bit Win7?

...ken...