Cache Page Display

Fledermaus

Perhaps someone should view the cache pages using W98SE and I.E. v6.0.2800.1106.

When viewing them, this is what I see:

That which is suppose to be on the left side of the screen and from top to bottom, to include the menu and advertisments, are cutoff and relocated to the bottom of the cache page. Even a short portion of the left side of the cache page is missing.

Before all the recent changes, everything was just fine! Now, the only way I can see cache pages properly is to view them with Moxilla/Firefox.

Yes, my computer is old! Yes, my operating system is old! Yes, my browser is old! I even use Dial-Up! So what about it?

The only changes that have occured, regarding how cache pages are displayed on my computer, were at the GC website, NOT here!

Please, don't bother telling me to upgrade my old computer system, unless you are willing to pay for a new one, send it to me without cost and pay for cable internet access as well!

Oh well, no great loss. I don't like I.E. anyway! I prefer Mozilla/Firefox and Opera.

My motto IS: If It Ain't Broke and It Still Works, Don't Fix It or Replace It!

/\/(°w°)\/\

Hello,

I feel your pain, concerning the website changes at geocaching.com, however, you might want to read the posts, under the topic, "Geocaching.com website problem", and maybe move your post there. We have basically "beat this horse to death", concerning the changes that have been made.

Anyway, it's listed about two or three topics below yours, if you would like to move your comments over there, and cancel this new topic. It's hard for people to keep up with too many different topics, which are actually concerning the same subject..........your choice.........

Good Luck........ :D

How long would you like money, time & effort to be expended by Groundspeak to attempt to support a platform that's a dozen years old and no longer supported by the vendor?

Firefox 3 dropped support for Windows 98, so you're running an obsolete and unsupported browser anyway, except when you're running Opera. Opera is the only major web browser which still supports Win98.

IE6 & Win98 are broken. For under $500 you can get a modern computer which can run modern software. Some people spend more than that on GPSrs alone in a year.

How long would you like money, time & effort to be expended by Groundspeak to attempt to support a platform that's a dozen years old and no longer supported by the vendor?

Firefox 3 dropped support for Windows 98, so you're running an obsolete and unsupported browser anyway, except when you're running Opera. Opera is the only major web browser which still supports Win98.

IE6 & Win98 are broken. For under $500 you can get a modern computer which can run modern software. Some people spend more than that on GPSrs alone in a year.

$500!!! Most netbooks are around $350 and gotta be more powerful.

Please, don't bother telling me to upgrade my old computer system, unless you are willing to pay for a new one, send it to me without cost and pay for cable internet access as well!

So, what you are saying is that you refuse to pay to support this web site by being very outspoken against paying for premium membership, but then demand that they spend money supplied by other paying members to support your grossly outdated operating system, which happens to also be unsupported by its manufacturer?

By chance, is this a picture of your current cell phone?

motorola.jpg

So, what you are saying is that you refuse to pay to support this web site by being very outspoken against paying for premium membership, but then demand that they spend money supplied by other paying members to support your grossly outdated operating system, which happens to also be unsupported by its manufacturer?

I'm a paid Premium member using XP with a DSL connection and my computer is only 1 year old. The site quit working for me too.

My husband is a paid Premium member using Vista with a DSL connection on a 1 year old computer and, while he can still access the maps, he can no longer use the "send to GPS" function. It quit working for him.

I'm a paid Premium member using XP with a DSL connection and my computer is only 1 year old. The site quit working for me too.

My husband is a paid Premium member using Vista with a DSL connection on a 1 year old computer and, while he can still access the maps, he can no longer use the "send to GPS" function. It quit working for him.

Have you tried upgrading your browser version? Tried using Firefox browser (it is free)? What GPS are you trying to use with the "send" feature?

define "quit working" please

Switch to Firefox for the time being, it'll run quite happily on Windows 98.

Firefox officially dropped support for Win98 when Firefox 3 was released

Google recently announced they are dropping Internet Explorer 6 support on March 1. If Google doesn't have the resources to support IE6, you can bet Groundspeak doesn't.

It's not so much that Google doesn't have the resources, or that they're just putting up a "go away" sign for all IE6 users, but rather that it's not worth the trouble to attempt to support something as antiquated as IE6. If something works, great - but if it's broken, then Google isn't going to fix it.

...Yes, my computer is old! Yes, my operating system is old! Yes, my browser is old! I even use Dial-Up! So what about it?...

So you can expect web pages to display funny on IE 6. The internet isn't broken, but IE 6 is when it comes to displaying pages that follow more modern (and standardized) internet practice.

This isn't a GC.com problem.

Your options include living with the issue because you like IE 6. Or upgrade to a newer browser that still support Win98. By newer you may actually be using something newer than IE 6 but older than the current versions.

Don't rule out Netscape and Firefox versions.

Edited by Renegade Knight

Switch to Firefox for the time being, it'll run quite happily on Windows 98.

Firefox officially dropped support for Win98 when Firefox 3 was released

Google recently announced they are dropping Internet Explorer 6 support on March 1. If Google doesn't have the resources to support IE6, you can bet Groundspeak doesn't.

It's not so much that Google doesn't have the resources, or that they're just putting up a "go away" sign for all IE6 users, but rather that it's not worth the trouble to attempt to support something as antiquated as IE6. If something works, great - but if it's broken, then Google isn't going to fix it.

True on both counts, but Firefox 2 is still world's ahead of IE6.

Let's think about this -- how many of us are demanding warranty service on our 11 year old cars? Yes, you can keep them on the road but not for free.

Frankly I'm IMPRESSED the OP is able to connect to the Internet and stay running for any length of time on Windows 98 -- it's not like Microsoft is releasing security patches for that OS anymore.

Here's what Google said to me in the last email I got from them about IE6:

Dear Google Apps admin,​

In order to continue to improve our products and deliver more sophisticated features and performance, we are harnessing some of the latest improvements in web browser technology. This includes faster JavaScript processing and new standards like HTML5. As a result, over the course of 2010, we will be phasing out support for Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 ​as well as other older browsers that are not supported by their own manufacturers.

We plan to begin phasing out support of these older browsers on the Google Docs suite and the Google Sites editor on March 1, 2010. After that point, certain functionality within these applications may have higher latency and may not work correctly in these older browsers. Later in 2010, we will start to phase out support for these browsers for Google Mail and Google Calendar.

Google Apps will continue to support Internet Explorer 7.0 and above, Firefox 3.0 and above, Google Chrome 4.0 and above, and Safari 3.0 and above.

Starting this week, users on these older browsers will see a message in Google Docs and the Google Sites editor explaining this change and asking them to upgrade their browser. We will also alert you again closer to March 1 to remind you of this change.

In 2009, the Google Apps team delivered more than 100 improvements to enhance your product experience. We are aiming to beat that in 2010 and continue to deliver the best and most innovative collaboration products for businesses.

Thank you for your continued support!

Sincerely,

The Google Apps team

Email preferences: You have received this mandatory email service announcement to update you about important changes to your Google Apps product or account.

Google Inc.

1600 Amphitheatre Parkway

Mountain View, CA 94043