Cache dimensions

jazzmonster

Yup the guidelines tell you:

Cache Sizes

These sizes apply to all caches that have a physical container.

-Micro (35 mm film canister or smaller – less than approximately 3 ounces or .1 L – typically containing only a logbook or a logsheet)

-Small (sandwich-sized plastic container or similar – less than approximately 1 quart or 1 L – holds trade items as well as a logbook)

-Regular (plastic container or ammo can about the size of a shoebox)

-Large (5 gallon/20 L bucket or larger)

Are there any approximate sizes to caches? I want to place a cache but I'm not sure whether to describe it as small or regular!

No problem at all, you actually have to check a box, saying that you read the guidelines. :D

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx#sizes

Cache Sizes

* Micro (35 mm film canister or smaller – less than approximately 3 ounces or .1 L – typically containing only a logbook or a logsheet)

* Small (sandwich-sized plastic container or similar – less than approximately 1 quart or 1 L – holds trade items as well as a logbook)

* Regular (plastic container or ammo can about the size of a shoebox)

* Large (5 gallon/20 L bucket or larger)

Actually even less than a quart is "small".

GermanSailor

Cache Sizes

* Micro (35 mm film canister or smaller – less than approximately 3 ounces or .1 L – typically containing only a logbook or a logsheet)

* Small (sandwich-sized plastic container or similar – less than approximately 1 quart or 1 L – holds trade items as well as a logbook)

I think a lot of confusion comes from the fact that you could fit 7 or 8 containers they describe as small in what is described as a regular sized cache. Many caches fall in between these two sizes and make it difficult (as the OP was suggesting) to label. It would be nice if they gave ranges as guidelines. It would take some of the guesswork out.

M24

EDIT:quoted more then I needed...

Edited by modnar24

I'm confused. Isn't an 'ounce' a measure of weight? We're determining volumes here.

I"ll put it into "laymans" terms. A can of beer in typically 12 ounces. Imagine how big it would be if it was 1/4 full. That's three ounces. For those that have difficuly with math: Drink the beer, then with a vigorous motion hold the can in front of you and smash it on your forehead. The can will then be about the size that can hold 3 ounces of beer. Anything smaller than that would be considered a micro.

...I"ll put it into "laymans" terms. A can of beer in typically 12 ounces. Imagine how big it would be if it was 1/4 full. That's three ounces. For those that have difficuly with math: Drink the beer, then with a vigorous motion hold the can in front of you and smash it on your forehead. The can will then be about the size that can hold 3 ounces of beer. Anything smaller than that would be considered a micro.

You need to copyright that. :D

I think a lot of confusion comes from the fact that you could fit 7 or 8 containers they describe as small in what is described as a regular sized cache. Many caches fall in between these two sizes and make it difficult (as the OP was suggesting) to label. It would be nice if they gave ranges as guidelines. It would take some of the guesswork out.

No!

What is confusing about:

Less than a litre / quart (those are actually different sizes!) but bigger than a film canister = Small

More than a litre / quart but less than 5 gallons / 20 litres (again, different measurments) = Regular

I don't see any potential for confusion here! Just read an understand the guidelines. You actually have to confirm this in order to get a geocache reviewed.

GermanSailor

Fluid onces - considered a measure of volume.

Right, thanks.

I'll stick with the given 100 ml (can I recommend the metric system? it's really handy).

I do observe caches in the field that are classified as Large, but are actually Regular by these guidelines. I think most cache owners tend to over-estimate the size of their (.. no jokes, please) ...caches a bit.

Edited by BigFurryMonster

Less than a litre / quart (those are actually different sizes!) but bigger than a film canister = Small

More than a litre / quart but less than 5 gallons / 20 litres (again, different measurments) = Regular

I don't see any potential for confusion here! Just read an understand the guidelines. You actually have to confirm this in order to get a geocache reviewed.

GermanSailor

Here in lies the problem... When I read the guidelines, I don't see anything close to what you posted your translation as. I see that a small is a sandwhich sized container that holds about a quart, A regular is about the size of a shoebox or ammo can, and a large is 5 gallons or larger. My only suggestion was a numerical range that actually read just like you typed it. Understanding is open to interpretation. My understanding and your understanding can be completely different.

M24

It would be nice if they gave ranges as guidelines.

Cache Sizes

Range = 3 ounces to really, really small

Range = 1 quart to 3 ounces

Range = 4.9 gallons to 1 quart

Range = 5 gallons to really, really big.

Not perfect, but this should get you started. :D

I"ll put it into "laymans" terms. A can of beer in typically 12 ounces. Imagine how big it would be if it was 1/4 full. That's three ounces. For those that have difficuly with math: Drink the beer, then with a vigorous motion hold the can in front of you and smash it on your forehead. The can will then be about the size that can hold 3 ounces of beer. Anything smaller than that would be considered a micro.

So to get a good estimate, pull out a beer and drink half the can. If you can fit everything into the space, great. If not, drink more. If the can is empty, you may need a second can, just to be sure. Rinse and repeat. Eventually, almost like magic, you'll have two small caches on your hands to hide! :D

Here in lies the problem... When I read the guidelines, I don't see anything close to what you posted your translation as. I see that a small is a sandwhich sized container that holds about a quart, A regular is about the size of a shoebox or ammo can, and a large is 5 gallons or larger. My only suggestion was a numerical range that actually read just like you typed it. Understanding is open to interpretation. My understanding and your understanding can be completely different.

The numerical range is there, in the guidelines.

The guidelines say that a "small" is less than 1 quart. They say that "large" is 5 gallons or bigger. Therefore, any container that is bigger than a quart and less than 5 gallons must be "regular."