Geocaching in the Cold Lake/Alberta area in February

die.eichkadsen

Hi there!

I am a geocacher from Germany and I'm staying in the Cold Lake/Alberta area from middle of February for about 4 weeks.

I also want to do some geocaching and I've seen that there are quite a few caches around! But the last time most of them were found was in fall/winter of last year. So I'm wondering if it's impossible to find any caches at the moment... maybe because of the snow? :D

I would be very glad if one of the geocachers around could tell me somethig about caching in Cold Lake.

Best regards from Germany, :D

Julia

Hi there!

I am a geocacher from Germany and I'm staying in the Cold Lake/Alberta area from middle of February for about 4 weeks.

I also want to do some geocaching and I've seen that there are quite a few caches around! But the last time most of them were found was in fall/winter of last year. So I'm wondering if it's impossible to find any caches at the moment... maybe because of the snow? :D

I would be very glad if one of the geocachers around could tell me somethig about caching in Cold Lake.

Best regards from Germany, :D

Julia

I cached in Cold Lake last June. It seems to me that there were several micro caches right in town that were probably winter friendly... I'm not sure how much snow they've had this year. I know we've had less than normal. Maybe try contacting Team G & V through the geocaching website.

If you'd like to do some caches in the more treed, natural areas be sure to take a poking stick to feel for caches through the snow. It may not hurt to read previous logs too, because I remember one cache being found more than 10m away from where the GPS would have taken us.

I usually look at the caches in the area and see who the prevalent cacher is in the area. Based on that I will contact them and ask some questions about the area.

I will also ask and see if they will host an event, just a small Pub Night, so I can meet the locals.

I also check out the local area tourism sites and request maps and info.

http://www.travelalberta.com/en/Pages/default.aspx

Binrat