What am I seeing on my GPS screen ?

digitalgoddess

I know this sounds stupid, but I am having problems understanding what the symbols mean that I am seeing on my gps screen during a hunt. I went to knowledge base and didn't find anything there that seemed to help. What symbol marks the cache. I thought it was a red pin, but when we get close it changes to a blue dot- What does that mean ???? :D

what GPS do you own?

Some Garmins place a blue pin marker on the destination if you route to the cache location. But it goes away when you select your next destination.

I own a Dakota 20. Is this info that I need to go to Garmin for ?? I wasn't sure if this was a geocaching.com issue-since I do paperless downloads, and therefor the icons would belong to geocaching.com

Thanks for any assistance you can give.

Colleen Mills

digitalgoddess

I am using the computer to Garmin download cord from www.geocaching.com. I chose the caches that I want and then hit "send to gps" button. I thought the red "stick pin" was supposed to be the cache. When we get close it changes to a blue dot. How do you read this thing anyway ???

Colleen Mills

digitalgoddess

I use a Garmin 60CSx. Not sure about your unit but my best guess would be that the Cache is within that blue dot. When that happens you must be very close. If you have already found a Cache plug it into your unit and go to it, if it changes to a blue dot when you get close that may be your answer.

I use a garmin colorado 300. If it isn't in "geocache mode" the waypoint I am navigating towards shows up on the screen as a blue stick pin. I never noticed if it changed color because I normally run in the "geocaching mode" . I would hazard a bet that the change in color is simply the GPSr telling you that you have arrived (ie are very close to the cache) kinda of like a visual alarm if you will. Just my guess. Changing the mode should show all the caches as green boxes and then after finding them and selecting the "found" feature turns them into gold open treasure chests.

what GPS do you own?

Some Garmins place a blue pin marker on the destination if you route to the cache location. But it goes away when you select your next destination.

I own a Dakota 20. Is this info that I need to go to Garmin for ?? I wasn't sure if this was a geocaching.com issue-since I do paperless downloads, and therefor the icons would belong to geocaching.com

Thanks for any assistance you can give.

Colleen Mills

digitalgoddess

the icons don't belong to geocaching.com, the icons come from your GPS"s software

the icons don't belong to geocaching.com, the icons come from your GPS"s software

Thanks for that info. We have figured some of it out ourselves over the last few days. (trial and error)

The Garmin manual is less than usless. It gives very short explainations for any subject-just enough that they answered-was it a help, NO. And the knowledge base is just as bad.

I think I am going to write a new manual entitled "A User Manual for the Dakota 20- What Garmin doesn't tell you." :D