my new Garmin Oregon 450

IMG_5544.JPG

2010-02-01.jpg

Ok, since I have the pleasure of making an upgrade from a Garmin Legend I thought I would post my experience.

I ordered from GPSzone.ca and it was at our house by the second day after I ordered.

Please note my comments are in comparison to my legend experience.

Once the GPSr knew which sats to use it fired up so quickly I was quite amazed.

Inside the truck it has stable solid coverage and barely reduces accuracy compared to the legend where I had varied results inside the cab.

The paperless geocaching is a dream come true although I havent quite found the right order of the steps in the interface the way I would like it to work. I like to have the compass guide me and it seems the default is to bring up the map.

The photos above are in bright winter sunshine and I found the screen very readable. The screen protector went on a little poorly which explains some of the imperfections.

The base map is much the same as the Legend but with colour. I don't seem to have the gradient maps shown in the screen shots.

My next task is to see how easily I can make use of my purchased Garmin Topos from a year ago and look into Blue Charts for the lakes I take to in the summer.

I will post any other findings as I come across them but all in all I am very happy with my expensive purchase.

- Dale

How is the accuracy and ease of use?

Accuracy is good compared to my legend.

Ease of use is good. Everything you need to Geocache is there although the steps once on the map are a little clumsy to me so far to find details and such. I will try to make a short video this weekend going through the interface for a GC and post a link.

redriversolar, what is the software version on the unit? Have you tried updating yet?

Can you let us know how much memory it has on the internal drive and how much memory is free?

I already performed the update. Sorry I didn't note the version it came with, it is now:

Software version 3.10

GPS Software Version 3.7

843mb free with a couple GPX files on.

Try going through the Setup options for the various screens and check out the Dashboard options. Sometimes they're hidden, but they're worth finding. There's one specifically for geocaching that shows the map, compass, and distance to cache on the same screen. That's the one I like to use when heading towards a cache.

Here's the sequence to the one I use: Setup -> Map -> Data Fields -> Dashboard -> Geocaching - Active

Edited by PokerLuck

Try going through the Setup options for the various screens and check out the Dashboard options. Sometimes they're hidden, but they're worth finding. There's one specifically for geocaching that shows the map, compass, and distance to cache on the same screen. That's the one I like to use when heading towards a cache.

Here's the sequence to the one I use: Setup -> Map -> Data Fields -> Dashboard -> Geocaching - Active

Thanks much, Poker Luck for the info. I just tried it on my 300 and it looks great. B) I can't wait to try it out on my next caching trip.

OldA'sFan

Hello everyone,

I also just bought a Oregon 450 and so far I love it. I am trying to figure out how to download bunches of caches at once. I like to do a search on the area I am going to go to and then download all those at once. So far all I have been able to do is download them one at a time. Is there some addtional software I need to put on my unit to get this to work (download all waypoint option). Thanks for any help. I am pretty new to this so hopefully this is not to stupid of a question. B)

Jim

Hello everyone,

I also just bought a Oregon 450 and so far I love it. I am trying to figure out how to download bunches of caches at once. I like to do a search on the area I am going to go to and then download all those at once. So far all I have been able to do is download them one at a time. Is there some addtional software I need to put on my unit to get this to work (download all waypoint option). Thanks for any help. I am pretty new to this so hopefully this is not to stupid of a question. B)

Jim

Jim - the Garmin Oregon Wiki has all the answers - you'll need a Premium account see this page for how to.

Not trying to put down your Oregan in any way ,but those old Etrex had simply terrible recievers in them.I remember my brother had one and I had a Garmin GPS12 and my reception was incredible compared to his.Welcome to the new age,I just wish the screen technology was better..ie brighter.

Helo everyone. I am trying to find info on the Oregon 550. It is my first unit so I am completely in the dark about how to use it. I have managed to upload a geocache location but can't seem to get the 3D map to work. Am I wrong in thinking that I could get a turn by turn screen to leed me to the cache??

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Helo everyone. I am trying to find info on the Oregon 550. It is my first unit so I am completely in the dark about how to use it. I have managed to upload a geocache location but can't seem to get the 3D map to work. Am I wrong in thinking that I could get a turn by turn screen to leed me to the cache??

Try this Oregon Wiki

Edited by akettlet

Try this Oregon Wiki

Thank you. I already found my software version to be not up to par. I shall update and see if it helped.

We recently bought an Oregon 450 and had a Dakota 20 before that ... I have to say that the ability to see the caches and maps in the sunlight is extremely difficult and annoying ... they have made the background colour a beige colour instead of white, which really reduces the ability to see anything. It really is a huge annoyance to have to have the backlight on full at all times, draining the battery just to see the lines. Unfortunately, I sold my Dakota 20 to my sister or I would go get it back. If anyone knows of any software upgrades to fix this, I would love to hear about them.

This link http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/Miscell...0readability%3F is for the 300, 400s but will also apply to the 450. Look at item M5. Creating custom backgrounds that utilize an all white background definitely helps, see item M4 and follow links. Some custom backgrounds with colored borders are provided on the Oregon wiki; adding the profile name in the background's top and bottom border works well as a reminder as to which one of your profiles you are in.

Edited by eaparks