List of Night Caches

AAAAATeam

OK, I just finished my 100th find this weekend at the cache listed below. I am now hooked on night caches and need to know how to find them within GC.com. I have tried PQ's and although they find some, I am sure there are others out there. Does anyone have any suggestion on how to find them in Central Ohio? They need to add an attribute that is specific to night only caches.

If you like night ones, the one listed below is awesome and should be done.

7 Realms of Darkness

i'm not aware of an easy way to find them other than running a PQ for Multi's only and going though them

some cache owners will say "night cache" in the title but the attributes are a giveaway too

also the difficulty and terrain rating will most likely be upwards of 2/2.5

another way i found night caches is by keeping an eye on people's Bookmarks

good luck!!!!

Any cache can be a night cache if you find it in the dark, we have two differnt groups that do just that in the Minneapolis/ St Paul Minnesota area.

that's like comparing apples with oranges lol

regular caches you find in the dark don't qualify as a night cache and don't even come close to the thrill you get from a properly set up night cache, besides they are only meant to be done at night since you can't really see the firetacks in daylight

Edited by t4e

Is there a formal definition somewhere of a night cache? I get the gist of it but I've never heard of one before.

I don't know that there is a formal definition. I'm sure somebody will correct me if I'm wrong.

A night geocache is typically one in which the product called firetacs are used to locate the cache. These tacks look like tree bark in the day, but in the night, when a flash light is shown on them, they light up like little orange lightning bugs. The typically mark the way to the cache.

Is there a formal definition somewhere of a night cache? I get the gist of it but I've never heard of one before.

I don't know that there is a formal definition. I'm sure somebody will correct me if I'm wrong.

A night geocache is typically one in which the product called firetacs are used to locate the cache. These tacks look like tree bark in the day, but in the night, when a flash light is shown on them, they light up like little orange lightning bugs. The typically mark the way to the cache.

Although this is definitely one way of doing a night cache, I've seen others where the owner simply intends for you to find it at night to fully enjoy the experience - firetacks may not be involved. We found one where the container was a hollowed-out plastic owl and the eyes glowed in the dark. Sure, you COULD have found it in the daytime, but it was quite a jolt to turn a corner in the deep, dark woods to see a pair of eyes staring at you! LOL We just used our GPSr and flashlights/headlamps to guide the way.

There's another here in Indiana that I truly hope to go after one night too, where reflectors are used. You have to take a boat out to a specific spot on a lake, use your GPSr or compass to triangulate the next position on the water, then from there you should be able to use a flashlight to see a reflector in a specific area of the forest (on land, of course LOL). Then you follow the reflector to land, and eventually to the cache. But I guess the reflector is positioned in such a way that you cannot see it at all unless you're in the perfect spot on the water... and it must be nighttime. :)