Improvised Cache containers!

njhowen

Hi GC's!

This topic has probably been done plenty of times, but thought that this would be a good time to redo it!

Post any ideas that you have for cache containers, with any helpful information, where to get things cheap etc.

Personally, I have started collecting sealed coffee jars and blacking them out. They have a good seal on them and can hold a fair amount of stuff!

I've seen caches hidden in the resin garden critters that you can find at Lowes or Home Depot. One was a raccoon and had a few dnf's, and the other was a rabbit. I'm considering doing something like that in the near future as soon as I can find a fairly realistic looking garden critter that will blend in with the Southern California flora. I also saw one that was drilled into the underside of a boulder that weighed around 70 lbs. It was a small cache, and was very well camoed. You had to look closely at the underside of the boulder to be able to see it.

Perhaps your coffee containers in the UK are different than those in the US (assuming that you do not mean "instant" coffee jars).

Coffee cans here, for the most part, are considered unsuitable for cache containers. Even when sealed properly, there is no water barrier. When used as a cache container, it seems that a fair number of cachers seem incapable of closing them properly (at least as well as they can be closed).

Jars at least are a step up (threaded lids). Glass jars IMO are totally unacceptable due to dangers associated with breakage.

We have noticed an increase in (plastic) threaded-top containers, i.e. peanut butter, mayonnaise/salad dressing and processed fruit/vegetable jars. While not the best in the long run, they usually keep the contents fairly dry (if properly placed).

Lock & Lock® containers are well accepted home food-storage containers. Most others, although similar and probably patterned after Lock & Lock® containers, seem to be copies of same and poor ones at that!

The ubiquitous ammo can is still the best overall choice.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it! :):(:o

Ammo Cans

Lock-n-Locks

Rubbermaid - Lockits - (although the tabs sometimes snap off all to easily)

Matchstick containers with O-rings.

The Above is about all I will place out in the wild.

No coffee can cache I have ever seen stands up to the environment for very long.

Threaded lids (with no sealant ring) tend to wick moistoire in over time.

Do you mean glass coffee jars? Glass is not a good idea due to the danger that could be caused to little fingers if it gets damaged.

If you like "free" jars - some people have been using the ones that come with pears or other fruit in and a green lid, but they are expensive - noticed some in Tesco and they were £1.99 - more than twice the price of a can, so unless you're really into bottled fruit it's probably cheaper to buy the click lock type boxes.

Ammo Cans

Lock-n-Locks

No coffee can cache I have ever seen stands up to the environment for very long.

Without a doubt, top notch advice, the only thing I would add is the 2L pop bottle preforms. They have held up really well on my Kayak hides.

Hi GC's!

This topic has probably been done plenty of times, but thought that this would be a good time to redo it!

Post any ideas that you have for cache containers, with any helpful information, where to get things cheap etc.

Personally, I have started collecting sealed coffee jars and blacking them out. They have a good seal on them and can hold a fair amount of stuff!

I am curious as to what it is about this particular "hobby" that leads people to think that they can do it on a shoestring (aside from the cost of the GPS and the gasoline). Why do cache containers need to be inexpensive or even free? Now, I am not one that thinks that peanut butter jars make bad cache containers... I've found far too many of them to say that... but why not spend a little money on the container if you are going to take the time to put a cache out? You wouldn't buy a cheap GPS that wasn't water-resistant, would you? That would be a waste of money, right? So why would you put out a cache container that isn't water-resistant?

Sorry... I don't mean to sound like I'm just picking on you... I'm picking on every cache owner that has placed a cache with an inappropriate container saved from the dump truck just because they wanted to save a couple of bucks.

Ammo Cans

Lock-n-Locks

Without a doubt, top notch advice, the only thing I would add is the 2L pop bottle preforms. They have held up really well on my Kayak hides.

Seconding that, although I would add using tops you've saved from purchased sodas - they have a gasket that the ones that come with the preforms do not. They are relatively cheap, virtually unbreakable, completely waterproof and big enough to put small trade items in.

I am curious as to what it is about this particular "hobby" that leads people to think that they can do it on a shoestring (aside from the cost of the GPS and the gasoline). Why do cache containers need to be inexpensive or even free? Now, I am not one that thinks that peanut butter jars make bad cache containers... I've found far too many of them to say that... but why not spend a little money on the container if you are going to take the time to put a cache out? You wouldn't buy a cheap GPS that wasn't water-resistant, would you? That would be a waste of money, right? So why would you put out a cache container that isn't water-resistant?

Sorry... I don't mean to sound like I'm just picking on you... I'm picking on every cache owner that has placed a cache with an inappropriate container saved from the dump truck just because they wanted to save a couple of bucks.

Reusing is better than recycling.

I can tell you why I like to use cheap (dollarwise) containers. I KNOW they will disappear someday. If I KNEW my cache container would NEVER disappear I wouldn't have an ounce of hesitation to spend $10 on a container.

Reusing is better than recycling.

I can tell you why I like to use cheap (dollarwise) containers. I KNOW they will disappear someday. If I KNEW my cache container would NEVER disappear I wouldn't have an ounce of hesitation to spend $10 on a container.

I agree and if you check on your caches every two or three months, the peanut butter jars would be in good condition inside longer, I found a lot of people don't check on their caches for years unless is told to and sometimes they still don't check on them. :D

Ammo Cans

Lock-n-Locks

Seconding that, although I would add using tops you've saved from purchased sodas - they have a gasket that the ones that come with the preforms do not. They are relatively cheap, virtually unbreakable, completely waterproof and big enough to put small trade items in.

I brew beer, and the liquid yeast I sometimes use comes in the 2 ltr preform style tube. However it HAS a rubber gasket, and I feel very good about reusing it. They paint up nice as well.

Coffee jars are a really bad idea as they will eventually leak or break. Small rectangular "lock n lock" containers are rugged, gasket sealed and will stand up to being hidden under a rock or accidentally dropped onto a rock. They are also a much easier shape to hide.

I found the Maxwell House brand (square) coffee containers to work just fine. The molded handle gives a point to tie off a cord (helps prevent theft and incorrect replacement when the cache is tied to a tree). The contents always get zip-bagged anyway, so the lack of a perfectly waterproof seal doesn't matter. Old ammo cans usually have a worse seal than a new coffee can. The plastic accepts a camo'd paint job very well. They cost nothing, so I don't care when some moron steals the cache. And it's considerably better to reuse such containers over sending them to the landfill.

Examples of *terrible* cache containers I see often around home:

- Metal coffee tins with plastic lids. Got Tetanus? They are rusted with sharp edges after just a few weeks

- Metal cookie tins. See above

- Yoghurt and Mayonaise tubs. 95% of the time there's a moldy log book in there

- Lock'n'lock knock offs - around here we call them Lock'n'Leak

- Glad (or similar) reusable sandwich containers. These are not even remotely durable.

- Plastic bag with a log sheet in it. No container, just the baggie.

- Log sheet shoved in a hole in a rock, not even a baggie.

I'm gravitating quickly to the just hide an ammo can camp, but even then - CHECK the ammo can when you buy it, and make sure it actually seals properly!

I myself always like designing containers that other may not have seen in our area. For that I've found a few things that work good.

1.) Kool-aid drink mix (or store brand) containers. They look like a morter shell and have a threaded top.

2.) Pedialyte water containers (I work in a hospital so have endless supply of these.)

3.) Home-made dual top soda top containers (see other topic on these).

4.) Dollar store toys rubber animals that can be modified to fit something inside of them.

5.) white bottom, clear lid rectangle Chinese Take-out containers. They actually seal very tightly.

Odie

Edited by Odie442

I found the Maxwell House brand (square) coffee containers to work just fine. The molded handle gives a point to tie off a cord (helps prevent theft and incorrect replacement when the cache is tied to a tree). The contents always get zip-bagged anyway, so the lack of a perfectly waterproof seal doesn't matter. Old ammo cans usually have a worse seal than a new coffee can. The plastic accepts a camo'd paint job very well. They cost nothing, so I don't care when some moron steals the cache. And it's considerably better to reuse such containers over sending them to the landfill.

Assuming (bad word... I know) that AK coffee drinkers have access to the same coffee containers that we do in the lower, I respectfully disagree with the use of any coffee can -- plastic, metal, glass or otherwise.

Without a rubber(like) sealing ring, moisture migration is inevitable. Ditto for a plastic baggie for contents, although the baggie can assist in keeping the contents drier for a little longer.

True, regularly scheduled maintenance can/will solve the moisture problem. but that calls for minimum monthly checks during rainy or high humidity periods, with or without cachers opening/closing the containers. :DB)

In the very same post, you state that PB jars work well, but advise everyone not to reuse containers and to go out and spend money on a container.

Strange.

Edited by sbell111

I have also seen an old tire (with rim) out in the woods with a hole cut into the backside of the rubber and a PB jar fixed into it.

I myself had an idea to get an old lightpole that was being removed and drag it out into the forest and rig it up and hide a cache under the bonnet. You would never expect a LPC in the middle of the woods :D

Odie

I have also seen an old tire (with rim) out in the woods with a hole cut into the backside of the rubber and a PB jar fixed into it.

I myself had an idea to get an old lightpole that was being removed and drag it out into the forest and rig it up and hide a cache under the bonnet. You would never expect a LPC in the middle of the woods :D

Odie

.....and then there's the old bowling ball cache in the woods not that far from you...

B)

It's a waterproof box made by Outdoor Products.

Daz, just be forwarned. Those may not be quite as waterproof as advertised. I bought one from Wally World, tossed in a few trinkets and threw it in the back of my truck. After sitting there minding its own business for a couple months, it had standing water in it. I checked the seal for wicking points, and checked the container itself for any failure points, (cracks/holes/etc), but couldn't find any.

I brew beer, and the liquid yeast I sometimes use comes in the 2 ltr preform style tube. However it HAS a rubber gasket, and I feel very good about reusing it. They paint up nice as well.

Second this item. They are excellent! Also gives you a lot to do when not geocaching! :D:D:(:D

My advice is to brew a lot of beer, so you have a lot of containers. B)

I respectfully disagree with the use of any coffee can -- plastic, metal, glass or otherwise.

Amen. There is no compression seal in a plastic or metal coffee container, (never saw a glass one), so all you have really is an oversized film can, with a low quality plastic lid that pops onto a low quality plastic body. While this might be a great way to collect rainwater in the forest, it's probably not such a great idea for a trinket & logbook storage device. Placing baggies in them might help, until the baggies get punctured. These things, (along with any other crappy plastic containers), should go into a recycle bin, not a forest.

One of my most basic mottos is; if you must use a baggie to protect the contents of your cache, your container has already failed at a very basic level. Take pride in your hide. Don't use crap just because it's free.

In the very same post, you state that PB jars work well, but advise everyone not to reuse containers and to go out and spend money on a container.

Strange.

What's so strange about that? Peanut butter jars DO make excellent containers, even though they happen to be recycled.

Heya all. When I hide my 1st cache, it will prolly be in one of these:

box.gif

It's a waterproof box made by Outdoor Products. They sell at least two sizes at the local Wally World, and I think they might be like $5-8 each. I think one of those with a Geocache label and some camo might just work.

Later!

I've found a couple of those and they've been wet. I think they're made for occasional outdoor activities, not full time in the wild. The seal dries out and fails. Stick with Lock n Locks or ammo cans.

Second this item. They are excellent! Also gives you a lot to do when not geocaching! :D:D:(:D

.... and then send both the beer and the containers to me. :D

Would you be willing to share your supplier? And the item number? I'd love to contact them and find out about buying a bunch of those containers, without the liquid yeast. :D

box.gif

It's a waterproof box made by Outdoor Products. They sell at least two sizes at the local Wally World, and I think they might be like $5-8 each. I think one of those with a Geocache label and some camo might just work.

Later!

That's my preferred contain er these days. I've replaced several Caches with those. I used to go for waht was cheap or free, but for the little extra money there seem great!!

I myself always like designing containers that other may not have seen in our area. For that I've found a few things that work good.

1.) Kool-aid drink mix (or store brand) containers. They look like a morter shell and have a threaded top.

2.) Pedialyte water containers (I work in a hospital so have endless supply of these.)

3.) Home-made dual top soda top containers (see other topic on these).

4.) Dollar store toys rubber animals that can be modified to fit something inside of them.

5.) white bottom, clear lid rectangle Chinese Take-out containers. They actually seal very tightly.

Odie

Tennis ball cans, if you can find a brand with a TIGHT fitting lid. They are free at the tennis courts in your local park. Especially where lessons are given. They work better when protected from direct weather.

box.gif

Later!

I've found a couple of those and they've been wet. I think they're made for occasional outdoor activities, not full time in the wild. The seal dries out and fails. Stick with Lock n Locks or ammo cans.

When bought, they have a paper gasket between the body and lid, it that paper is not removed they will not seal. Also, many water issues in Caches may be due to Cachers in the rain, or Cachers not closing them right?

I have been impressed with cache containers made from cammoed screw-top cosmetic containers so far. I've only seen three, but they are good quality heavy plastic, and are always bone dry inside even in the El Nino rains. Mind you these are not common containers, I mean the good quality ones that probably held expensive product.

Would you be willing to share your supplier? And the item number? I'd love to contact them and find out about buying a bunch of those containers, without the liquid yeast. :o

My first response (post 11) has a direct link to the page with these items at the best price I've found.

To show you how permeating water can be, today I found a cache that was under the protection of a 4x4 beam. The cache was a plastic container that looked like it should be fairly watertight and was snapped closed. Inside of it was a smaller version of the same kind of container. They both had water in them - not dampness, water.

.....and then there's the old bowling ball cache in the woods not that far from you...

B)

I happen to be in possession of an old bowling ball. Would you mind providing a link to that cache?

My first response (post 11) has a direct link to the page with these items at the best price I've found.

Thanx! B) I'm familiar with preforms, (Love Them!) and I bought the 30 pack from Education Innovators a while ago. To date, these are my favorite micro. Very sturdy critters! As a test, I laid one on my driveway and parked my Toyota pickup truck on top of it. When I drove off, the only sign of it being driven over was some scratches. I was actually hoping to find a source for the ones akfuzzydice and Gitchee-Gummee (sp?) mentioned. GG sent me an e-mail with a good place to start. :o

I'm kinda new here, but before putting out a cache I like to do a submersion test. Putting the cache in a bucket of cold water held down by a brick.

I like to do two submersion tests to a container, a 30 minute test, and if it passes that with no leaks, I then do a 24 hour test.

This is quite an extreme test, as the cache will obviously not be submerged when it is placed, as it is full of air therefore it will float, so if it passes this, I think it is ok to put the cache outside.

I am placing my first cache soon, and I have a container being tested in the water now.

[Edited for clarity]

Edited by Mini-Geek

Hi GC's!

Please - no coffee cans, they won't stay dry, crack and fall apart in short order in most environments.

Want to setup a cache on the cheap? Go to the Only-A-Dollar Store in your area (where everything's a buck - many different franchise names, any one will do).

Most all of these stores have some sort of plastic container selection in the kitchen section. One of my local stores has $1.00 lock-n-lock style containers. I only have 2 caches out but that's what I used. They've been out for 7 months now and they are doing well. I did paint them with Fusion flat camo paint.

Of course your nearest army surplus store can probalby hook you up with 7.62mm (30 cal) ammo cans for about $4 or $5 each as well - and you'll only have to replace those on rare occasion. I've got some 30 cal and 50 cal cans I'm getting ready for the spring - hooah!

box.gif

Later!

I had one of these sitting on a shelf in my "office" for months. While in the house the seal became a little cracked and dry-looking. I figured it would fail in the wild.

Then my wife takes it with her to the springs in Apopka, FL and puts her digital camera in it to record underwater. The seal held with no leaks.

I have found two of them used as containers, one I was FTF on and can't comment on how well it was doing. The other has been out for some time and the contents were dry- even though some critter had chewed half of one of the clasps away.

I have been impressed with cache containers made from cammoed screw-top cosmetic containers so far. I've only seen three, but they are good quality heavy plastic, and are always bone dry inside even in the El Nino rains. Mind you these are not common containers, I mean the good quality ones that probably held expensive product.

I've always sung the praises of screw-topped heavy plastic containers, including the dreaded Peanut Jars. :lol: Certainly they're not ammo cans, or a quality genuine lock-n-locks, but pretty darn good in my opinion.

I had one of those. boiled it and the critters still could somehow smell the sweet.

they chewed the bottom out

I had one of those. boiled it and the critters still could somehow smell the sweet.

they chewed the bottom out

I actually had a bunch of them and before painting I ran them through the washing machine (not the dishwasher, the actually front load washer). So far the few I have out have not been attacked yet. The only container I have had that has been chew on is a mini plastic ammo can that is hidden in a tree. You can see where it's been nibbled on. :laughing:

Odie