would it be wrong to "booby trap" a cache?

A little silliness is all anyone was talking about. No one is trying to give you a fatal heartattack. Heck, they aren't even trying to make you wet your pants. Think the old peanut brittle gag.

SnakePeanutBrittleCan.jpg

probably ok. but the OP said "i thought it would be funny to rig a cache with a window alarm"

that sounds bit more than just startling some with the old snake brittle can.

I've found a cache with one of those silly things. It ain't all that bad. The same "Oh jeesh!" moment as those springs jumping out at your face and then it's over.

I must say, though, that I'm very glad that all geocaches don't have 'em. That would get pretty tiresome on a 40 cache day.

A little silliness is all anyone was talking about. No one is trying to give you a fatal heartattack. Heck, they aren't even trying to make you wet your pants. Think the old peanut brittle gag.

SnakePeanutBrittleCan.jpg

probably ok. but the OP said "i thought it would be funny to rig a cache with a window alarm"

that sounds bit more than just startling some with the old snake brittle can.

I've found a cache with one of those silly things. It ain't all that bad. The same "Oh jeesh!" moment as those springs jumping out at your face and then it's over.

I must say, though, that I'm very glad that all geocaches don't have 'em. That would get pretty tiresome on a 40 cache day.

;) I'm just glad the one I did come across was hidden in a lonely stretch of woods and not one of the popular local parks. I could just imagine the bird watchers going postal and pelting me with sunflower seed.

i thought it would be funny to rig a cache with a window alarm or a light sensitive toy thing (my kid had a big bird toy that says peek-a-boo when exposed to light. i would find it amusing, but i dont know how other people would feel about it. would also be awesome to have a webcam there to capture the reaction of the cacher.

I have hidden cache with window alarms in them. They are fun. The problem is that the window alarms that are sold now are not loud enough. IF they would I would hide more caches with them. The window alarms with the button cell batteries are worthless. If you find alarms that use AA batteries you will be all set.

how loud is a window alarm anyway? like a car alarm?

http://www.meritline.com/door-windows-entr...---p-30809.aspx

This one says 90 dB. And definitely not in good taste - I'd say 90 dB is loud enough for hearing damage, even if it doesn't take a few years off the life of someone unsuspecting.

I suspect that the DB rating is over estimated. The window alarms I've seen aren't quite as bad as the screeching of 13 year old girls meeting the latest teen heartthrob.

Came across this chart and thought of this thread.

Painful

150 dB = rock music peak

140 dB = firearms, air raid siren, jet engine

130 dB = jackhammer

120 dB = jet plane take-off, amplified rock music at 4-6 ft., car stereo, band practice

Extremely Loud

110 dB = rock music, model airplane

106 dB = timpani and bass drum rolls

100 dB = snowmobile, chain saw, pneumatic drill

90 dB = lawnmower, shop tools, truck traffic, subway

Very Loud

80 dB = alarm clock, busy street

70 dB = busy traffic, vacuum cleaner

60 dB = conversation, dishwasher

Moderate

50 dB = moderate rainfall

40 dB = quiet room

Faint

30 dB = whisper, quiet library

I was thinking today that I might take apart a smoke detector to get the screamer out. That would be plenty loud.
And Grandpa Cacher goes out into the quiet, peaceful woods, where he decides to crank his hearing aide up to 11 so he can better hear the delicate calling of the songbirds, the melodic chirping of the crickets and the silken rustle of the leaves in the breeze....

RRREEEEOOOOEEEEIIEEEEEOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't get past the posters in this thread that say they'd destroy a cache if it ever scared them. If you don't like a cache, fine, you're not required to like them all. Send a strongly worded email to the reviewers to try and get it archived if you really feel it needs to go. But to destroy it just because you didn't like it is wrong all day, every day.

In any other thread these same people would be screaming against someone else destroying caches just because they didn't like them.

Hypocrites.

I can't get past the posters in this thread that say they'd destroy a cache if it ever scared them. If you don't like a cache, fine, you're not required to like them all. Send a strongly worded email to the reviewers to try and get it archived if you really feel it needs to go. But to destroy it just because you didn't like it is wrong all day, every day.

In any other thread these same people would be screaming against someone else destroying caches just because they didn't like them.

Hypocrites.

Yeah, I think I could destroy their caches because they gave me no joy... if we were allowing cache destruction based on personal preferences and all.

Hehehe brilliant. Might want to address that typo. Also statistics look more believable when you use an exact percentage :unsure:

I stand corrected.

But as DarkZen says the OP never suggested inflicting pain or "getting his jollies".

Now, do you want to tackle my 95%?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Practical_joke

It's still there!! Somebody added a "Needs Citation" tag, but its still there. Too funny!
Hehehe brilliant. Might want to address that typo. Also statistics look more believable when you use an exact percentage :unsure:

I stand corrected.

But as DarkZen says the OP never suggested inflicting pain or "getting his jollies".

It's still there!! Somebody added a "Needs Citation" tag, but its still there. Too funny!

Citation could be added

http://www.datanumerics.com/statistic/42108

I stand corrected.

Citation could be added

:unsure: LOL!!!

I stand corrected.

Citation could be added

OK, who has the guts to put up the citation?

Wow. You think rigging a cache to say "Boo" when it's opened is sadism. Yet in your sig line you joke about pushing people down stairs. Wow.

If you joke about scaring people with a cache I'm sure Harry Dolphin has no problem with that. It's only when you place it that he considers it sadism.

If you have actual proof that he's pushing people down stairs, please feel free to flame him on that point. Otherwise, your argument is invalid.

Wow. You think rigging a cache to say "Boo" when it's opened is sadism. Yet in your sig line you joke about pushing people down stairs. Wow.

If you joke about scaring people with a cache I'm sure Harry Dolphin has no problem with that. It's only when you place it that he considers it sadism.

If you have actual proof that he's pushing people down stairs, please feel free to flame him on that point. Otherwise, your argument is invalid.

I disagree.

Joking about pushing people down stairs implies that he is finding pleasure in imagining the pain of others. If that's not sadism, then neither is saying "boo" when someone opens a cache.

I was thinking today that I might take apart a smoke detector to get the screamer out. That would be plenty loud.

Just go to radio shack and get a piezo speaker

that reminds me, I went to radio shack to get one of those a while back. The employee working there was standing net to the Piezo speakers, she asked what I was looking for, I said Peizo speakers, she said we do not stock those, I said to are standing next to them. :)

Radio Shacks new tag line "You have questions, we have blank stares"

Hypocrites.

I had a cache chained and locked to a tree so that it would get stoled as it had been in past. So someone just smashed it with a rock and left the chain and lock.