Co-FTF Situations

Opalblade

QUESTION ONE

If you and your caching buddy or buddies go looking for a FTF together and you are not the first one to find it within the pair/group, do you claim it as a FTF on your records, assuming you keep records of such things, or do you claim STF, TTF, etc?

QUESTION TWO

If you get to a cache and two or more people have claimed Co-FTF on their logs, do you consider yourself STF?

Answer 1:

I make sure that the other cacher is fine with logging a co-FTF. It is up to them, but most of the time, cachers are kind enough to do so.

Answer 2:

I don't really worry about STF stuff, but seeing as they most likely found the cache together, and not found, re hid, and found again, you would be the second to find the cache.

QUESTION ONE

If you and your caching buddy or buddies go looking for a FTF together and you are not the first one to find it within the pair/group, do you claim it as a FTF on your records, assuming you keep records of such things, or do you claim STF, TTF, etc?

QUESTION TWO

If you get to a cache and two or more people have claimed Co-FTF on their logs, do you consider yourself STF?

1. Yes, if that's the spoken or unspoken rule between us caching chumps.

2. If you're not first, you're last :) I love FTF's but I understand the anti-FTF crowd. But if being FTF is stupid, then the only thing stupider is claiming STF, TTF or worse.

1) I've never understood "co-FTF" claims. Someone had to be the first one to see the cache unless there really was a coincidental, simultaneous, "I see it" moment by all seekers. I've been in the hunt on several mountain- and ridge-top caches and sometimes I'm the first one to be at the right angle to see the cache, and sometimes I'm not. The hunt was about the journey more than the find, anyway.

2) I suppose your situation would be "third to find." Just like a running, skiing or swimming race...a tie (whether for first or any other spot) bumps the next finisher down an extra spot. So, two-way tie for first means the next finisher was third. A two-way tie for third means the next finisher was fifth.

I'll chase FTFs on occasion, but I don't have a list of them.

Edited by Ladybug Kids

If I am caching with another cacher - we are generally working as a team and go in for the co-FTF thing. However, I've seen it done the other way as well - even with married cachers.

I always keep in mind that a FTF plus 50 cents will get me a can of soda at several local vending machines.

STF means nothing to me or really anybody around these parts.

QUESTION ONE

QUESTION TWO

I think it is totally up to the FTFer if they share or not. But usually if we all go out together for a FTF and one finds it we all share it.

Scubasonioc

If I'm caching with a group I consider it to be a team effort, which is why I log a find even if my wife or another member of the team actually discovers the cache. I believe that is a very common practice in geocaching.

In that light, if I cared about, or counted FTFs I would probably count it no matter which person in the group actually discovered the cache.

Years ago I was with a group who FTFed a now legendary multi. I think each member of our group was responsible for finding at least 1 stage, but I found the final. If we were counting, who gets the FTF?