What time of the day do caches publish in your area?

Opalblade

I would love yo go for FTFs but in my area (Austin TX) caches almost always publish after dark and neither hubby nor I are comfortable w me going out alone into a greenbelt at night. We are in an urban area w lots of campers in the greenbelts. There are a lot of nighttime FTFers in my area, though outlying caches will sometimes be found early the next morning. One time there was a daytime publish but I ended up being TTF. Note, I'm not complaining about when my reviewer publishes caches - I am grateful that he volunteers his time at any time :ph34r:. But was curious if other areas had caches publishing more during the day and if that's how such big groups of cachers end up gathering at GZ :D

Edited by Opalblade

In my area, Northern California, they get published at all times. It just varies when the reviewer has a chance to to post them. Most commonly, I see them around 5:00 am or around 9:00 pm. Yet, I have seen many during late morning, early afternoon, and late afternoon.

It all just depends on when the reviewer has a chance to review.

Edited to add: Published a few around 2:00 pm today.

Edited by ao318

Pretty much always between 3-4am and the same night as they are submitted. Our reviewer is like a clock.

Even so, there is very little FTF competition around these parts. Very common for new caches to sit for a couple days to more than a week before someone will log it. Case in point, a recent publish was only about 8 miles from my house, but it sat for nearly 2 weeks before FTF. I still haven't gone hunting it, but probably will head over that way sometime this week as there are a half dozen caches in that area I haven't tried yet.

I should point out that the only FTF that really "means" anything is a puzzle FTF. Traditionals are just luck of the draw. A puzzle FTF takes actual skill.

Edited by SSO JOAT

I should point out that the only FTF that really "means" anything is a puzzle FTF. Traditionals are just luck of the draw. A puzzle FTF takes actual skill.

That may be the only type that means something to you, but there is a challenge involved in dropping what you're doing when you see a publish notification, heading to ground zero ASAP and being the first to spot the cache.

A puzzle cache is the same process, and even puzzle caches taking skill may have an element of luck. You may notice a pattern or figure out what method to use faster, or see the puzzle cache publish faster, or have the free time to solve it faster than other cachers. And then you still have to have to get over to the physical cache location and find it.

Edited by Opalblade

That is your opinion, and you are entitled to it, but I disagree. Seems that when someone labels one aspect of Geocaching over the other (because that is what THEY think)as being more important, or what really matters, seems to smack me as pretty narrow mindedness. JMO

Scubasonic

My area consists of two states since i live near the border.

On the Oregon side the caches mostly get published in the evening from 8-11pm but sometimes in the other parts of the day.

On the Washington side they typically get published in the evening hours. I've bribed the reviewers to publish around 1AM hoping ScubaSonic would be asleep but it hasn't worked. Maybe I need to increase the bribe to make it 2AM.

It seems like any time of day, no pattern...Mtn-Man keeps us busy! He certainly kept our local FTF hunters on their toes during a recent event - no sooner did they return victorious, then a new cache was published...and another......................and another. It was almost as if he were a fly on the wall, watching them........

I wonder if the reviewer has any ability to "schedule" a posting for say, 2:00AM.

Or when a cache is published at 2:00AM, does that mean that the reviewer was actually up at that time and pushed the "publish" button?

Well, when I am Reviewing, I typically publish somewhere between 12am - 2am. I'm a late night person, and it's also when my family is in bed and I have some free time to focus on reviews.

I always get concerned that I'm waking some poor people up when their notices ring on their cell phones. But it's amazing how many people will rush out at midnight to grab a FTF. The logs for late at night/early morning can be the most enjoyable to read, as they seem to have fun with the adventure, and meeting the other FTF hunters at the cache. :D

I wonder if the reviewer has any ability to "schedule" a posting for say, 2:00AM.

Or when a cache is published at 2:00AM, does that mean that the reviewer was actually up at that time and pushed the "publish" button?

Well, when I am Reviewing, I typically publish somewhere between 12am - 2am. I'm a late night person, and it's also when my family is in bed and I have some free time to focus on reviews.

I always get concerned that I'm waking some poor people up when their notices ring on their cell phones. But it's amazing how many people will rush out at midnight to grab a FTF. The logs for late at night/early morning can be the most enjoyable to read, as they seem to have fun with the adventure, and meeting the other FTF hunters at the cache. :D

Don't get concerned about waking people up. Everyone has the ability to turn off Email notices if they want to.

:D

I always get concerned that I'm waking some poor people up when their notices ring on their cell phones. But it's amazing how many people will rush out at midnight to grab a FTF. The logs for late at night/early morning can be the most enjoyable to read, as they seem to have fun with the adventure, and meeting the other FTF hunters at the cache. :(

Don't get concerned about waking people up. Everyone has the ability to turn off Email notices if they want to.

Ah, but will they? :D

Yeah, yeah, I know. They can stop at any time. :D

I always get concerned that I'm waking some poor people up when their notices ring on their cell phones. But it's amazing how many people will rush out at midnight to grab a FTF. The logs for late at night/early morning can be the most enjoyable to read, as they seem to have fun with the adventure, and meeting the other FTF hunters at the cache. :(

Ah, but will they? :D

Yeah, yeah, I know. They can stop at any time. :D

Hey Cascade Reviewer,

So can you address the question I raised above...

Are you able to schedule publishing a listing for a date/time in the future? I'm just curious. I had left a note to a reviewer asking if he could publish a cache after 11:00PM on a particular day. The cache was published as requested. Maybe it was just coincidence. Anyway, was/is/are you guys able to set a date and time for publishing, or do you have to be up at 3:00AM and hit the "publish button" at 3:00AM?

Thanks,

Sam

Edited by SamSpade47

I remember hearing my roommate's phone go off at 4 AM in the morning when we were in Nashville at geowoodstock 7 last year. He forgot to turn off his insta-notifications and that durn fool reviewer was up publishing caches at some ridiculous hour of the morning.

And since we were over 500 miles away from home there wasn't any point in rushing out to get the FTF either.

I always get concerned that I'm waking some poor people up when their notices ring on their cell phones. But it's amazing how many people will rush out at midnight to grab a FTF. The logs for late at night/early morning can be the most enjoyable to read, as they seem to have fun with the adventure, and meeting the other FTF hunters at the cache. :o

:o

Ah, but will they? B)

Yeah, yeah, I know. They can stop at any time. :o

Hey Cascade Reviewer,

So can you address the question I raised above...

Are you able to schedule publishing a listing for a date/time in the future? I'm just curious. I had left a note to a reviewer asking if he could publish a cache after 11:00PM on a particular day. The cache was published as requested. Maybe it was just coincidence. Anyway, was/is/are you guys able to set a date and time for publishing, or do you have to be up at 3:00AM and hit the "publish button" at 3:00AM?

Thanks,

Sam

Must be top secret or something...

There is no functionality for a "timed release" so that a cache can be published automatically at a desired time. This is an often requested feature by both cache owners and volunteer cache reviewers. There are, however, significant programming hurdles to consider before such a feature could be implemented. Please refer to past discussions in the Geocaching.com Web Site section of the Forums.

Meanwhile, we publish caches at all hours of the day and night. I just pressed the "publish" button on my final batch of the day.

There is no functionality for a "timed release" so that a cache can be published automatically at a desired time. This is an often requested feature by both cache owners and volunteer cache reviewers. There are, however, significant programming hurdles to consider before such a feature could be implemented. Please refer to past discussions in the Geocaching.com Web Site section of the Forums.

Meanwhile, we publish caches at all hours of the day and night. I just pressed the "publish" button on my final batch of the day.

Thanks for the reply...

Sorry, I've been busy with family-type stuff for a couple days. B)

Thanks to my much esteemed colleague, Keystone, for answering the question for me.

I am happy to publish a cache at a certain time for a cacher, if it works out with my schedule. Sometimes I will see if another area Reviewer can do it for me if I cannot. Sometimes it works out, and sometime it doesn't, but we try our best. :o

On the Washington side they typically get published in the evening hours. I've bribed the reviewers to publish around 1AM hoping ScubaSonic would be asleep but it hasn't worked. Maybe I need to increase the bribe to make it 2AM.

Hey come on I leave you a few here and there just to keep the game interesting...... :lol:

Scubasonic