Geochasing with a laptop

Wacom

I want to geochash with my laptop, i have GPS and internet on it, but i cant find a good program for the chashes to be displayed on a map...

Can anyone help me?

I have a laptop using Bluetooth and the Garmin 10X. I use either Microsoft Strets and Trips (My go to) ot Delorme. I have also used Mapsource in the past.

I want to geochash with my laptop,

Can anyone help me?

I don't know why anyone would consider dragging a laptop out to Geocache, to actually find the cache I would drop it the first time out. I would pay money to watch someone stumbling around in the woods with a laptop trying to get to GZ.

Scubasonic

A laptop would be just a bit too fragile to be packing around for caches and a bit largish and unweildy.

Let me suggest a small but very good handheld like the Garmin venture HC - long battery life, USB connections, Geocaching mode, some map memory, high sensitivity and rugged enough for tail use. About $120 online.

I want to geochash with my laptop, i have GPS and internet on it, but i cant find a good program for the chashes to be displayed on a map...

Can anyone help me?

I use MapSource and the no-longer-supported nRoute. Both very useful applications while on the road.

Clarifying.. I said WHILE ON THE ROAD. I'd never take the laptop to the woods unless absolutely necessary. And never been necessary yet.

There you go. Good responses already. Get yourself a decent GPSr, and yous should be able to geochase to your hearts' content. :o

EDIT: If your question indeed is in reference to using a laptop utilizing geocaching apps, it probably is not a good idea. Many have tried, only to ruin an expensive toy. :)

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

Can anyone help me?

I use MapSource and the no-longer-supported nRoute. Both very useful applications while on the road.

Clarifying.. I said WHILE ON THE ROAD. I'd never take the laptop to the woods unless absolutely necessary. And never been necessary yet.

this is confusing to say the least....how exactly do you "find" the caches in the woods?

sorry, i can't help it....who exactly do you plan on chasing with your laptop? :)

Any Garmin GPSr comes with a free copy of MapSource. With your GPSr attached to your laptop with its USB cable, it'll update your location as you move. You can enter caches into MapSource as waypoints and transfer them to the GPSr. (And vice versa, if you like to use the "Download to GPS" feature on cache pages.)

When you're done driving, detach your GPSr and follow it to the cache.

I take my laptop with me so I have a map of where all the caches in my area are. First I load a pocket query in gsak. They have a macro you can add that will export your query into google earth and you can see where all the caches are by name or GC# ( Depending on which you picked to display). Prior to all of this I used a program called google earth voyageur to pre download all the google earth map info for the area I want to go to and when I head out, I have all the caches and a map zoomed into 700meteres. I never have to print out maps as everything is preloaded. I just export from gsak into google earth and off I go. No internet connection needed. It's comes in real great when you are going to cover a large area as you can plan your route so you are as efficient as possible and not zig zagging all over. The google earth cache holds 2gig of info so you can preload a huge area and not worry. Laptop is only for the maps and info...the garmin takes me to gz.