PQ Based On a Bookmark

Tequila

According to the Knowledgebase Article, the limit of caches on a list is 500.

Have any of the recent site changes altered this? I don't recall?

I do see that some of the KB articles haven't stayed current to recent site updates.

Does that mean you cannot ignore more than 500 caches.

bookmarks is not the same as ignore list

to the OP, sort your caches and make separate bookmarks that don't exceed 500

but heck 500 is a lot lol

Yep - Bookmark lists are limited to 500 caches, as are PQs. The only PQ that returns more than 500 caches in a single query is the My Finds PQ.

What about the Ignore List? Is it limited to 500?

I already answered your question. But only an answer by Markwell will satisfy you? Sorry to have interrupted your conversation.

Yep - Bookmark lists are limited to 500 caches, as are PQs. The only PQ that returns more than 500 caches in a single query is the My Finds PQ.

What about the Ignore List? Is it limited to 500?

I already answered your question. But only an answer by Markwell will satisfy you? Sorry to have interrupted your conversation.

Actually you haven't answered my question. Let me restate it.

I understand that a bookmark list is limited to 500.

However, there is a special bookmark called "Ignore List" and you are able to create a PQ based on that list.

My question is "Can that "Ignore List" contain more than 500 entries and if it can, what happen when you generate a PQ based on it. If it cannot hold more than 500, then what happens if you want to ignore more than 500 caches???

But the ignore list isn't a Bookmark list. It's an Ignore list. You can get a PQ of your ignored caches (I think), but it will be limited to 500. It's kind of like asking what happens when you own more than 500 caches and you want to get a PQ of your owned caches. The fact that you own them doesn't make them on a specific bookmark list - and the fact that they are on your Ignore List doesn't make them on a specific Bookmark list.

Edited by Markwell

But the ignore list isn't a Bookmark list. It's an Ignore list. You can get a PQ of your ignored caches (I think), but it will be limited to 500. It's kind of like asking what happens when you own more than 500 caches and you want to get a PQ of your owned caches. The fact that you own them doesn't make them on a specific bookmark list - and the fact that they are on your Ignore List doesn't make them on a specific Bookmark list.

I thought I understood this, but now I'm confused.

But the ignore list isn't a Bookmark list. It's an Ignore list.

Then why is my Ignore List included on my Bookmark Lists page just like all my other Bookmark Lists? The only difference seems to be that I can't share it or make it public; in every other way, it sure looks like a Bookmark List.

You can get a PQ of your ignored caches (I think), but it will be limited to 500.

Yes, according to the link on my Bookmark Lists page, I can indeed create a pocket query of my Ignore List, just like all my other Bookmark Lists.

I don't (yet) have 500 caches in my Ignore List. From other posts, it's been shown that the Ignore List can include more than 500 entries, yet a pocket query based on that particular list will reportedly be limited to 500 caches.

What people are asking is this: If you create a pocket query from your Ignore List and you have more than 500 caches in that list, exactly which ones do you get, and which ones don't you get?

--Larry

I do see that some of the KB articles haven't stayed current to recent site updates.

If anyone is ignoring that many caches, I'd have to wonder what they are doing geocaching at all.

I have run a PQ of my 600+ entry Ignore list. The PQ returns all 600+ entries.

If anyone is ignoring that many caches, I'd have to wonder what they are doing geocaching at all.

I'll go first. :)

• The principal reason I got involved with geocaching was the need for exercise. This, plus my general dislike for the need for stealth inspired me to place all urban high-stealth micros on my Ignore List.
  • I place all puzzle/mystery caches that require solving at home (as opposed to on-site investigation) on my Ignore List so they won't show up when I'm out caching. These also go on a Bookmark List that serves as a reminder of puzzles I need to solve.
  • Caches that require serious tree climbing or rock climbing go on my Ignore List. I'm reasonably healthy, but my days of taking those sorts of risks are over. And I've promised loved ones that I would "act my age" and no longer go after those sorts of caches.
  • Caches that require a boat are also placed on my Ignore List, simply because I don't have a boat, and don't want to bother friends who have one. Besides, I can't swim. :o

I consider a 60-mile radius to be a reasonable territory for my home-based caching, and that's the radius I use in the two pocket queries I use the most (I use two date-based PQs to circumvent the 500-cache limit). As of this morning, my GSAK database shows me a total of 783 geocaches that I still haven't found (and that aren't on my 406-cache Ignore List) within that 60-mile radius. That's more than enough caches to keep me in the hunt for quite some time to come. And more are being hidden every day.

--Larry

Are you kidding????

I have found close to 3,000 caches (I no longer log most of them) and still have almost 8,000 within 200 km of my house.

Trust me. A lot of them are not worth finding. I put most mall parking lot caches on Ignore. I ignore a couple of cache owners because they have a long term history of bad coordinates, bad hides etc. Lots of valid reasons to ignore caches and with the publication rate increasing exponentially, the ignore volume is going p.

Thanks to Great Scott for answering my question.

If the moderator so chooses, this thread can be closed.

To sum up:

The IGNORE bookmark list is a VERY SPECIAL bookmark list.

While any other bookmark list is limited to 500 entries, the IGNORE bookmark list is *theoretically* not limited.

I have no idea why anyone would want to run a PQ of caches they never wanted to see in the first place. I'm sure TEQUILA has a 'logical' explanation. (not that I need to know what it is)

I am sure, however, that the PQ would be truncated at 500 listings.

To sum up:

While any other bookmark list is limited to 500 entries, the IGNORE bookmark list is *theoretically* not limited.

I have no idea why anyone would want to run a PQ of caches they never wanted to see in the first place. I'm sure TEQUILA has a 'logical' explanation. (not that I need to know what it is)

You need to know where they are when you are hiding a new cache.

Couldn't you simply uncheck the "Are not on my ignore list" box in the pocket query?

--Larry

You could but this way you can exceed the 500 limit AND create a separate Ignore List database in GSAK.

To sum up:

A good point, but I can hide a new cache without pulling a PQ...possibly. I can show you where every Traditional cache in Arizona is located.

OTOH, many of the caches on MY ignore list are puzzles I have no idea how to solve (Or in reality, I see no point in putting out the effort needed to solve them.) The only way to steer clear of those final locations is to ask the reviewer if my chosen spot is in the clear.

Just tried to run a PQ on my ignore list. It is rather large. No results show in the preview and I have not yet received the PQ in my email. We'll see what happens.

I checked earlier this evening with a pocket query where I didn't check "AND is not on my ignore list". The pocket does indeed include the ignored caches. However if I preview the pocket query or preview the pocket query on geocaching maps, the ignored caches don't show. I would like it much better if the preview showed the same caches as the pocket query.

Just tried to run a PQ on my ignore list. It is rather large. No results show in the preview and I have not yet received the PQ in my email. We'll see what happens.

I checked earlier this evening with a pocket query where I didn't check "AND is not on my ignore list". The pocket does indeed include the ignored caches. However if I preview the pocket query or preview the pocket query on geocaching maps, the ignored caches don't show. I would like it much better if the preview showed the same caches as the pocket query.

I'll have to try it out again. I admit that I just previewed the PQ.

If there's really a problem, maybe this should go into a new topic. It's kind of strayed from the original post:

Does anyone know what happens if you have a bookmark with more than 500 caches and you run a PQ based on that bookmark? Does it get truncated at 500? If so, how is the truncation criteria determined?

I think I may have hit the limit on the size of a PQ run from an Ignore list. Over the weekend my ignore list PQ would generate but I would not receive the email. Ignore list was at 730 the last time I received it. (4/14) All other PQs emails would be received.

I just tried running my Ignore PQ again (currently at 749) it generated, but no email received.

Then I deleted some of the ignored caches to bring the list back down to 730 and ran a copy of the PQ again.

Again it generated but no email received.

Anyone know what might have happened?