? I didn't know that!

GATOULIS

I got an email some hour ago that one of my coins is stollen! I saw that the cache owner put my coin into unknown! I didn;t know that even the oner of a cache my coin is in can do that! I thought only I could do that! :D

Anyway... I am so sad and in the same time furius about the stollen coin! this little one was stollen again and after some time it was back in the game! A cacher found it in a cache! Now once again it is stollen!!!! I just do not get it!!! Is the nomad coin so expensive or extremelly beautiful (sorry I haven't seen one from close) and it gets stollen all the time??? :D

right now, I have at least 7 coins marked as missing or stollen and I have a list of other 11 that are in the hands of a cacher or in a cache for too long (not moved from October)!!!

I know that one of them is gone, the cacher can not find it, and in an other, I send an email months ago to the guy who has it but there was no response! I will send an other email and if I will not get a responce.... I will mark it stollen!!!

It is so sad! Proxies are starting to be more and more in my mind and in my thoughts!! I already have one and I feel safer with that! :P

I am so sorry for bothering you with that my friends! :P I just feel.. Well what hurt me is that I felt so great when the coin appeared again but after about 3 and something months... it's gone again!!! ;)

I would like to to ask some things too!

If the coin is found by a non cacher and enters in the site... can he email me via Groundspeak or I have o put my email in the page of the stollen coin? Also, can he enters the tracking number and see the page that the coin is lost and has an owner etc???

Oh.. and last... one of my coins, is in an achived even cache, with lots of other trackables!!! How this can be done??? Aren't the trackables in an event taken by other cachers to drop them in an other place?? If the event cache has 36 trackables inside... can it be achived??? what happens with the trackables now????

Ohhh...I`m sad to hear this bad news :D

Don't give up the hope for the missing coins.

And the thing with the event cache is quite simple:

Some cachers put their lost/ stolen trackables in event caches and some put their "Only discovery collection" in events and let it stay in the listing :P

It's always a pitty if coins disappear :D

When I started caching in June of last year I was and still am very careful to move coins along. For the first five months I watched them keenly to see how they tracked and that was when I noticed they were disappearing. It prompted me to start talking to the locals and understand what was happening and that was when I learned there are people who rush to grab them and put them in their collections or loose them or forget to log them altogether.

No matter which it really does suck. It seemed a shame to me for a few to ruin it for everyone. I'm not posh enough to send real coins out for someone else to swipe but I wanted to try and find a way to keep the fun going. I decided to do proxies and make them as close to the look and feel of the real thing as possible. I think there's a thread on the forums (or so I've heard) but you can buy washers, print good copies on a photoprinter and laminate the images to the washer. Then I like to put it in an airtite container and include a paper about the mission and nature of the coin.

You will also want to put the word "Proxy" in the title of the coin so it's easy to determine by looking that its a proxy and not a real coin. Personally I don't see it any different than a TB but some get all in a dither about it. I say do what you are comfortable doing and just enjoy it. If you can afford to drop coins and it doesn't bother you one way or another then so be it but don't let the real thieves out there keep you from enjoying or allowing others to enjoy it even if it means using proxies.

My 2 cents worth.

Edited by Da_Muggle

A traveler owner OR cache owner can mark a traveler as "missing". Hopefully, they do it only with proper verification that it truly is missing.

Should the traveler reappear at some later date, the owner can remove it from "missing".

Though I have no personal knowledge of it, reports posted (quite often) in the forums relate that when a traveler is taken to an event cache, they have a VERY high rate of disappearance. Have no idea why this would happen because I would assume those that attend events would have a high degree of responsibility (perhaps that is a bad assumption on my part). If asked prior to the event, many owners ask that their traveler not be taken there. :D

a lot of the beginners don't know how to properly handle Coins and TB, or sometimes they loose/misplace them

its very sad but part of the game

i wish though that the beginners will ensure they do it properly, can always send an email to the owner and ask for guidance if uncertain

I got an email some hour ago that one of my coins is stollen! I saw that the cache owner put my coin into unknown! I didn;t know that even the oner of a cache my coin is in can do that! I thought only I could do that! :D

If the coin is found by a non cacher and enters in the site... can he email me via Groundspeak or I have o put my email in the page of the stollen coin? Also, can he enters the tracking number and see the page that the coin is lost and has an owner etc???

Oh.. and last... one of my coins, is in an achived even cache, with lots of other trackables!!! How this can be done??? Aren't the trackables in an event taken by other cachers to drop them in an other place?? If the event cache has 36 trackables inside... can it be achived??? what happens with the trackables now????

Sorry to hear that another one has gone missing especially so close to the time when it was resurrected. :D

Both the owner of the cache and of the coin can mark it as missing. If it does show up later whoever finds it can grab it and then drop it as they usually would.

Emails can only be sent through the Groundspeak site by members. He can enter the tracking number and see the page. Its the same as you could do if you weren't logged in.

I take some of my coins for discovery to events and then forget to retrieve them until the next event. Sometimes the first event has been archived so my coins still show as being there. I know others do that too. Now I think when a cache is archived the travelers still there are automatically listed as missing. I'm not sure of that though. A friend told me recently for his events everything in it was automatically listed as missing when he archived the event. I then deleted the log that stated it was missing from the coin page. Then he got a notice of a log deletion and teased me about deleting his logs!

A lot of coins that are dropped into events go missing I have no idea why. If I take a coin to an event I now hand it over to someone rather than leave it on the TB table.

From time to time, I go through my list of traveling geocoins - just yesterday I had to mark a couple of them as stolen. What I do, is go to the coins page and post an edit right above the goal... I mark it this way:

********************* THIS IS A STOLEN COIN **************************

The coin you see listed on this page has been STOLEN from a Geocache.  If you see

this coin, please take it and place into the nearest geocache. Thank You ~GeocoinGuy

********************* THIS IS A STOLEN COIN **************************

I know that if the coin is put into someones personal collection, it's kind of like international art thieves... it's good to nobody but them, and they can't show it to anyone, because the tracking number ties it only to you as the owner.

Hopefully someday, someone will find one of these travelers and put it back into circulation. One can only hope.

~J

Nikos,

It is fast becoming a fact of life that coins that are released to travel and bring joy to cachers in the field mostly yield heartache to the coin owner. With a million active caches worldwide I think geocaching is no longer an ecclectic activity by technogeeks and outdoor enthusiasts... we're mainstream, baby, with all the baggage that brings with it when the masses are involved. I'm sorry for your loss as I have come to know how passionate and enthusiastic you are about coins and coiners.

A lot of coins ending up in the same archived cache sounds suspicious to me. Was this cache ever released? Were the coins dropped off by the cache owner or by finders? Grabbing coins, dropping them in a cache, mark them missing and archiving the cache sounds like a lot of trouble for a thief to go to (as the items are still tracked back to him/her) but .... we all know crime does always attract the brightest and ablest.

As far as events go.... I'm not that experienced with them but the ones I've attended, especially the Megas, have so much going on with trading, buying, discovering and meeting other cachers and then hit the field to go caching that it's easy to forget about travelers dropped off or picked up at the event. I am one of those who emails cachers who drop off my coins in Events and kindly ask them (responsible coin-dad that I am) to be a considerate date and bring the coin home with them at the end of the day or make sure they are otherwise picked up and have a ride out of there. :D

The cache was an event cache! The owner of the event cache is ok 1000%

Since it was an event cache it was not a real cache.... right? it is just that some trackables went in the event so others can discover them, or help them with their travels!

Well... I haven't seen any discovery in my coin!

I admit, that since I have nver been to an event (:D ), I do not know if the even cache is a real cache... I just believe that it is not!

The onwer achived the cache but the trackables are still there! He made a note so others will log the coins and TB's that still showed there! At that time there were 121 trackables there!!! Now there are about 35 including my coin!

I am wondering what happens now! If none logs my coin.... where is it? All these trackables are trapped in... nowhere??? :D

I am wondering what happens now! If none logs my coin.... where is it? All these trackables are trapped in... nowhere??? :ph34r:

Its like any other cache. Possibly someone picked it up and hasn't logged it yet, or they dropped it into another cache and don't have the tracking number to properly log. Its also possiable it has been lost or stolen and will not ever show up. Sad, but that's how it is.

Nikos,

How are you? Sorry to hear about your coin. We have also had some coins dissappear in event caches. We had one of our Todie's Wild Ride II coins travel over 5000 miles and then get dropped off in an event in California 2 months ago. The coin was never logged out of the event, we have no idea what happenned to it. We wnet to Geowoodstock VII this last summer. There were 6099 travel bug and coins listed in the event cache at one time. There are still over 340 trackable items listed there including 2 that we brought there. Some of our coins that we started there took over 3 months to show up again - in California - 2000+ miles from the event. Unfortunately too many trackable items get picked up and never logged, they just dissappear which makes it frustrating when you put them out. We hope your items show up again someday.

Seekerfamily

That's so bad! I do not know what to say... I thought that in events they are going only geocachers and not muggles.... so... how the trackables are getting muggled?? Something is..... :ph34r::D

Ok... maybe some forget or lose the coins or TB's and.. but if you are saying that in the event cache you know there are still 340 trackables... well... that's a huge number... isn't it??? I do not think it is logic that all these were forgoten to be loged!!!

But now that I am thinking again... if there are people who are watching caches so they can steal coins... they can also come to an event!!

Oh boy... :o

That's so bad! I do not know what to say... I thought that in events they are going only geocachers and not muggles.... so... how the trackables are getting muggled?? Something is..... :ph34r::D

Ok... maybe some forget or lose the coins or TB's and.. but if you are saying that in the event cache you know there are still 340 trackables... well... that's a huge number... isn't it??? I do not think it is logic that all these were forgoten to be loged!!!

But now that I am thinking again... if there are people who are watching caches so they can steal coins... they can also come to an event!!

Oh boy... :o

Thats 340 out of an original 6099 - about 5.5% of the trackables that were logged in

Out of the 437 geocoins that I've sent out as travelers (or soon to be travelers), 175 of them have gone missing. Some have been stolen of course, some have been lost, some have been taken to events and disappear, etc.

I even have something on each traveling geocoin's page saying please don't take them to events because they go missing. And cachers still take them to events anyway! Some even email me saying they'll be especially careful to give them to another cacher in person.

But I've also had geocoins show up after being missing for over a year so don't give up hope that your geocoins will show up after all!

I am wondering what happens now! If none logs my coin.... where is it? All these trackables are trapped in... nowhere??? :ph34r:

Its like any other cache. Possibly someone picked it up and hasn't logged it yet, or they dropped it into another cache and don't have the tracking number to properly log. Its also possiable it has been lost or stolen and will not ever show up. Sad, but that's how it is.

At Geocoinfest I handed out 100 of my trackable Coins to start traveling. Sone of them went months before getting logged for the first time. Your coin should be in the hands of someone, and hopefully they have only misplaced it for a while. It happens at events a lot.

The Nomad coins are nice, but they are not rare and not expensive, so it would not be a likely candidate for being stolen, that's whay I chose them to be released.

well i'll top that and say i've seen a TB resurface recently after 3 years!

I have just stuffed up a coin's movement myself actually so atone atone - some folk will be getting adoption notices!

passing it on at an event is no guarantee - i have two really special coins i lost that way and i handed them over!

faith faith life is an adventure and coins are replaceable - i thunk of a really nice way to make a replacement actually but haven't tried it yet; i'm waiting for the stuff to get here before i show it off!