Why put crap in cache

KoolAidWino

So I am a newbie. 70 finds and I have found dog biskets, candy, and generally stupid stuff that molds and erodes and it just stupid and thoughtless caches. Like why place a cache that will leak moisture and when the last 10 post say cannot sign there is no response?

And if a cache it stuffed why stuff it it with more?

Idiots abound I get it.

And, if you are stoned and or buzzed or both do not hide a cache.

It is not funny

Cache on, luv it

So I am a newbie. 70 finds and I have found dog biskets, candy, and generally stupid stuff that molds and erodes and it just stupid and thoughtless caches. Like why place a cache that will leak moisture and when the last 10 post say cannot sign there is no response?

Idiots abound I get it.

It is not funny

Cache on, luv it

As a newbie, you can expect a moderator to come in here soon and probably do something about this thread and the wordage you have used in it.

Even I think it crossed the line...

But, as I understand your sentiments I will say this, people from all walks of life cache. From the smartest (me) to the less intelligent and everywhere inbetween. Whatever type of person you run into in the world, there will likely be a cacher with the same standards.

Idiots abound I get it.

It is not funny

Cache on, luv it

As a newbie, you can expect a moderator to come in here soon and probably do something about this thread and the wordage you have used in it.

But, as I understand your sentiments I will say this, people from all walks of life cache. From the smartest (me) to the less intelligent and everywhere inbetween. Whatever type of person you run into in the world, there will likely be a cacher with the same standards.

My apologies.

I am not aware of the high moral standards of using the words "stoned" or "buzzed". You are probably right, no one who does this "game' or "sport" does these things. I am sorry for just making a general observatiopn based on my lack of experience.

Are we following the the George Carlin 7 words rule, are we following a particular religion, please let me know and I will read the text and follow it. I do not want to upset anyone.

Thank you

KAW

Edited by KoolAidWino

My apologies.

I am not aware of the high moral standards of using the words "stoned" or "buzzed". You are probably right, no one who does this "game' or "sport" does these things. I am sorry.

I don't think that was the part that will be the problem.

Keep in mind that I don't necessarily disagree with the opinion.

Idiots abound I get it.

It is not funny

Cache on, luv it

My apologies.

I am not aware of the high moral standards of using the words "stoned" or "buzzed". You are probably right, no one who does this "game' or "sport" does these things. I am sorry for just making a general observatiopn based on my lack of experience.

Are we following the the George Carlin 7 words rule, are we following a particular religion, please let me know and I will read the text and follow it. I do not want to upset anyone.

Thank you

KAW

I luv it, hooked, but can't a guy voice an opinion on silliness. I can easily voice an opinion and some cool canhces we found. It is not all luv and hugging.

Idiots abound I get it.

It is not funny

Cache on, luv it

My apologies.

Thank you

KAW

I luv it, hooked, but can't a guy voice an opinion on silliness. I can easily voice an opinion and some cool canhces we found. It is not all luv and hugging.

The sport, hobby or addiction may not be all about luv and hugging but this forum is. We never disagree and regularly get together for group hugs and such.

(I do agree with you though(I find people in general to be stupid and am pleasantly surprised when they aren't))

Welcome to the game.

You sure this hobby is right for you? Coz you don't seem to be having much fun. Just saying.

Posted reply

To your question: Can't a guy post a question or does it all have to be all hugs and kisses? A cache doesn't have to hard but put some thought into it and don't drop off some nuts/crackers in it. Really, and moldy.

Do rational individuals read these posts or people just looking to jump others.

I don' care, bring it on , let us bring life into this sport/really game,

KAW

Idiots abound I get it.

It is not funny

Cache on, luv it

My apologies.

Thank you

KAW

I luv hugging but it doesn't mean you can't disagree. Next time we meet I'll give you a big ole bear hug. Hope you make to Portland Ore.

Idiots abound I get it.

It is not funny

Cache on, luv it

My apologies.

Thank you

KAW

I luv hugging but it doesn't mean you can't disagree. Next time we meet I'll give you a big ole bear hug. Hope you make to Portland Ore.

Idiots abound I get it.

It is not funny

Cache on, luv it

My apologies.

Thank you

KAW

er... you replied to yourself.... twice... :D

Idiots abound I get it.

It is not funny

Cache on, luv it

My apologies.

Thank you

KAW

er... you replied to yourself.... twice... :D

YEAH EVEN LEARNING THIS FORUM SYSTEM IS SILLY, please forgive a non-nerd. My Dugoens and Dragons how to class meets next week. Opps, another do not say that warning message coming up . Don't worry, I won't be visiting these forums soon, the Quaker bible is thick. It'll take a couple of years to read.

Why put crap in cache

Many people who are caching did not come prepared to trade. They aren't carrying trade goods, either because they've already learned that the trade goods in caches are of little or low value, or if they're quite novice, they just haven't thought about that part.

However, when they see something they want, something of actual value ->> they take it. They either leave some bit o' crud from the bottom of their bag, or think they'll "make it up on the next cache".

This causes the degradation of contents of all new caches from good to bad (assuming the cache contents to have been good in the first place).

My caches start out with a modest assortment of new items, all of value of $1 - $4. Typically a new matchsafe, a small lock and lock, a nylon camo bag, good quality bungees, etc. Where the cache is comparatively close to parking, say under a half mile, by the time the cache has had as many visits as it has trade items, it's unusual for there to be a single original item, a single new item, a single item purchased as a geocaching trade. It's all bottom o' the bag crud; McToys, "sig items" (ie, something that is of little or no value, but that the cacher has signed - some people assign high value to their own signature ;-) - I've seen a cacher take a lock & lock and leave a signed business card. Yep, that's a fair trade :D

Conversely, if the cache is a longish journey, it's possible that all of the original items will still be in the cache many visits later (except the camo nylon bag, which is always taken). Cachers doing the longer hikes, 'whacks or kayak trips are hardly looking at, or fooling with the cache contents. They're doing the journey.

Oh yeah, cachers will take a trade item and leave a trackable coin or bug. I've seen that too, from an experienced cacher. This is straight out, - take something, leave nothing. But somehow, in the moment, it "feels" like a trade.

Edited by Isonzo Karst
Why put crap in cache

Many people who are caching did not come prepared to trade. They aren't carrying trade goods, either because they've already learned that the trade goods in caches are of little or low value, or if they're quite novice, they just haven't thought about that part.

However, when they see something they want, something of actual value ->> they take it. They either leave some bit o' crud from the bottom of their bag, or think they'll "make it up on the next cache".

This causes the degradation of contents of all new caches from good to bad (assuming the cache contents to have been good in the first place).

My caches start out with a modest assortment of new items, all of value of $1 - $4. Typically a new matchsafe, a small lock and lock, a nylon camo bag, good quality bungees, etc. Where the cache is comparatively close to parking, say under a half mile, by the time the cache has had as many visits as it has trade items, it's unusual for there to be a single original item, a single new item, a single item purchased as a geocaching trade. It's all bottom o' the bag crud; McToys, "sig items" (ie, something that is of little or no value, but that the cacher has signed - some people assign high value to their own signature ;-) - I've seen a cacher take a lock & lock and leave a signed business card. Yep, that's a fair trade :D

Conversely, if the cache is a longish journey, it's possible that all of the original items will still be in the cache many visits later (except the camo nylon bag, which is always taken). Cachers doing the longer hikes, 'whacks or kayak trips are hardly looking at, or fooling with the cache contents. They're doing the journey.

Oh yeah, cachers will take a trade item and leave a trackable coin or bug. I've seen that too, from an experienced cacher. This is straight out, - take something, leave nothing. But somehow, in the moment, it "feels" like a trade.

Thx for the reply. Totally agree, totally understand. It would be great for kids so why not designate caches for certian things. I am just seeing totally, and I am saying this with love, just really stupid things, not cute things.

Luv it. just wondering

Idiots abound I get it.

It is not funny

Cache on, luv it

Good questions and ones that have been asked basically since the early days of the sport. I guess it simply boils down to some people being lazy.

Idiots abound I get it.

It is not funny

Cache on, luv it

my favorite is soap bubbles and no matter the brand, these things ALWAYS leak if left long enough!

Yea, there is a lot of "stuff" in caches that doesn't rank real high on the list of desirable. But why not buck that trend and put something "decent" in each cache you visit. Say put in a "good" something or two and take out a "not so good" item. Sort of a take on the cito concept, but with better swag being left. You know "good in trash out" or GITO. Doesn't have to be very expensive to be something good or desirable.

A positive attempt at somthing trumps growling and complaining any day!! :D

Yea, there is a lot of "stuff" in caches that doesn't rank real high on the list of desirable. But why not buck that trend and put something "decent" in each cache you visit. Say put in a "good" something or two and take out a "not so good" item. Sort of a take on the cito concept, but with better swag being left. You know "good in trash out" or GITO. Doesn't have to be very expensive to be something good or desirable.

Well Said! That is the path I try to follow.

Idiots abound I get it.

It is not funny

Cache on, luv it

my favorite is soap bubbles and no matter the brand, these things ALWAYS leak if left long enough!

OMG!!! THE BUBBLES!!!! probably the worst in my opinion!

Gotta say I've tried -- I've tried. Spent another fortune last year up at the Coleman outlet store in Loveland picking up goodies to leave behind. Once in a rare while I'll get a nice comment back when someone discovers some of it. Mostly, it just disappears and either nothing goes in to replace it or it's the usual Happy Meal stuff. You do what you can do, but I don't expect things will change.

One of the big things I'd recommend but don't see practiced - don't just take something for the sake of taking it. If you or your kids actually have a USE for it, great. Out of 2200+ finds, I think I've pulled something out of a cache for myself three or four times. One was a wall wart that happened to fit my Motorola cell phone and I needed it at work. One was a light gauge bungee cord that I needed right then to tie some stuff down in the back of the vehicle. One was a really nice compass rose coin that I just like to carry around, but I don't leave it on a shelf somewhere.

If people would give half a thought -- but we know that all it takes is one goofball, right?

I always thought it was carp that people put in caches.

:D

Why do people put either carp or crap in caches? You can find many, many threads here about swag deterioration. It is a common complaint. We have been working on a solution, but since it involves changing all small and regular caches out with tiny micros, it will take some time and expense, so please bear with us.

As the problem of cache owners not maintaining their caches, there are a great many threads here on that, as well, and that is also high on the list of problems that we intend to solve. To begin with, we are in the process of drafting a resolution that states that once you put a cache out, that you may not have any higher priorities in your life than maintaining that cache. We don't care if your doctor says that you must have surgery immediately or die, if you have a soggy log reported in one of your caches, we feel that there is no reason you can't fix that up first, and then report to the hospital. Is it gonna kill you to do that?

Under these new proposals, cache owners will also never be able to leave the activity. Until you actually hide a cache, you are totally allowed to get bored and leave. But once you become a cache owner, it is like becoming a parent... you have that responsibility for life, and we intend to enforce that. We are in the midst of establishing a Dept of Cache Security to deal with negligent cache owners in a swift and efficient manor.

So, as you can see... resolutions to these things that bother all of us are just around the corner. Hang tight and it will get better.

Personally, I thought it was a legitimate question, although the subject line was misleading. I found that in one cache and disposed of it all by wrapping the works in a plastic bag and walking about 100 feet to a dumpster. Not a well thought out cache anyway.

But yes, some cachers do need to give a bit more thought to what they leave behind. These are game pieces out there, not trash cans.

Idiots abound I get it.

It is not funny

Cache on, luv it

Unfortunately, the game has become mainstream. This means that more and more we are seeing all segments of society become participants. We can therefore expect similar social behavior in society at large to find it's way into geocaching and this is what is happening.

We can resist it, encourage different behavior, but we cannot prevent it, sad to say.

It has gotten to the point that The Team rarely even looks at the 'stuff' in geocache containers. We usually sign the logbook, laugh at the carp, close the container and put it back.

You will over time, learn the 'cute' words and other catchy things to say in the forums. In the end, just call 'em like you see 'em and tell the truth. Ignore the rest, as you would comedy club audition material.

Edited by Team Cotati

It is not all luv and hugging.

As mentioned, you could take the trash out. I sometimes don't even trade for spoiled candy. The next cacher may find just a log book in a clean container -- and start a thread about how the empty containers are -- but that's preferable, IMO.

A polite "Needs Maintenance" log is appropriate, definitely for a cracked disposable container full of water. Some high traffic caches are in great spots, and it would be a shame to have them archived. And others should be put out of our misery.

Edited by kunarion

Some people are unaware of the guidelines - there are some items that simply shouldn't be put in caches, ever. In particular, food items, and anything illegal or dangerous. It's also inconsiderate to cram something large into a cache that compromises the container.

As for other "crap," everyone has different ideas about what constitutes "good" swag. Many people complain about toys in caches, but for cachers with kids, a toy in a cache can really brighten someone's day.

I cache for the fun of it - finding the cache is all the reward I need. I don't understand the materialistic attitude that leads people to complain about the quality of swag. If you want new stuff, go shopping.

A five gallon aquarium would make a great cache!!!! Leave a few goldfish (weather permitting) take a carp. Size wise this would NOT be a fair trade in my opinion. Waterproof log book....crayon to sign with...viola!!! No more wet log complaints. Please put a floatie on your Hamster or take the time to teach him to swim!!!!
And then the goldfish get traded out for guppies, the guppies get traded out for brine shrimp, and before you know it, you're left with an aquarium full of nothing but amoebae.

Shuckymomo... no, we caught it. There's nothing that the cache owner can do if hiders chose to drop stuff like that into the cache. You and the OP are correct that they shouldn't do it, and when/if you find stuff like that in a cache, by all means take it out! Future finders will appreciate it.

Idiots abound I get it.

It is not funny

Cache on, luv it

My apologies.

Thank you

KAW

No, Bittsen was referring to where you started a sentence with "so". :D

As mentioned, you could take the trash out. I sometimes don't even trade for spoiled candy. The next cacher may find just a log book in a clean container -- and start a thread about how the empty containers are -- but that's preferable, IMO.

I agree, an empty clean cache, is better then a cache full of beer caps, torn ticket stubs, stones, candy, broken toys, and dog biscuits. I clean out cache trash when I find it.

It's a fact, cache swag deteriorates. Even stuff that went into the cache looking nice will deteriorate with time - from handling, from dirt that gets into the container, from moisture. I think it ultimately comes down to the cache owner - if they want their cache to continue to have clean quality swag they need to clean the container and replenish the contents about a couple of times a year.

There was a discussion recently about cache maintenance - I found it interesting that most of the COs said that they never replenish.

Edited by Lone R

Perhaps a Geocache Code of Ethics is due. Stops the Line Crossing in the forum and people loading Caches with Junk. I have to admit it bothers me when people load them with useless junk or things that are broken. Everyone needs to remember, you don't have to take anything, and better yet, you don't have to leave anything either.I like to leave a few things if a cache is lacking...just my two bits.

Perhaps a Geocache Code of Ethics is due. Stops the Line Crossing in the forum and people loading Caches with Junk. I have to admit it bothers me when people load them with useless junk or things that are broken. Everyone needs to remember, you don't have to take anything, and better yet, you don't have to leave anything either.I like to leave a few things if a cache is lacking...just my two bits.

And when all is said and done, 6 months later, what is it that you see that this 'Code of Ethics' would have accomplished?

I agree, an empty clean cache, is better then a cache full of beer caps, torn ticket stubs, stones, candy, broken toys, and dog biscuits. I clean out cache trash when I find it.

Hey, Bittsen... he said, "beer caps"!!! :ph34r: (Bittsen collects those.)

There was a discussion recently about cache maintenance - I found it interesting that most of the COs said that they never replenish.

Shouldn't need to. Everybody knows that cachers trade even or better. How else do you suppose those collectable beer caps ended up in the cache?

gcbutton1.jpg

Last Update: May 1, 2005

Hey, Bittsen... he said, "beer caps"!!! :ph34r: (Bittsen collects those.)

Shouldn't need to. Everybody knows that cachers trade even or better. How else do you suppose those collectable beer caps ended up in the cache?

I was looking on Ebay last night and there were Coca Cola bottle caps selling for a buck a piece.

Just sayin

One persons trash... and all that.

And when all is said and done, 6 months later, what is it that you see that this 'Code of Ethics' would have accomplished?

Nothing, other than the fact that it sets an example. Community support gives people a reason why they should keep caching.

Edited by BlueDeuce
Why put crap in cache??
Because my pockets are getting too full.
Two words... cargo pants. You can fit a lot of carp in those pockets if you don't mind them slapping your thighs as you hike. Or the smell, come to think of it.

It would not be too odiferous as long as the carp were fresh. After two or three days it could become a problem. Particularly in the warmer months.

I am not aware of the high moral standards of using the words "stoned" or "buzzed". You are probably right, no one who does this "game' or "sport" does these things.

Funny you should mention that... I found a stash once that had exactly that in it... I was looking for a place to hide a cache and found a container full of hash. And if you are asking... I didn't have any trade items on me at the time. :ph34r: