UK Travelbug Graveyard (GCD653)

Apologies if this ground has already been covered on the forums, but...

I was about to make a significant bug drop into this 'cache' but have just discovered it has been archived. Why?

It was great fun and, in my humble opinion, brought a slice of humor to a sport which sometimes takes itself a little bit too seriously - I have sent my opinion to the reviewer who has locked the cache.

Perhaps the powers that be could consider setting up a new 'memorial' cache for lost TBs.

Apologies if this ground has already been covered on the forums, but...

I was about to make a significant bug drop into this 'cache' but have just discovered it has been archived. Why?

It was great fun and, in my humble opinion, brought a slice of humor to a sport which sometimes takes itself a little bit too seriously - I have sent my opinion to the reviewer who has locked the cache.

Perhaps the powers that be could consider setting up a new 'memorial' cache for lost TBs.

RIP Travel Bug Graveyards

This was my reply in a topic now on page 2 of this forum called "Who is Brad W".

TBug graveyards have been obsolete for some time since you can mark a travel bug as "missing". They are not in the TBug graveyard cache in any place, so attaching them to the cache is actually a mistake in terms of where the TBug actually is (which is nowhere). In addition, people log finds when they put TBugs in them even though they haven't visited the location. The cache owner tends to not audit these logs and does not delete false finds on the cache pages. With so many things wrong with them there is no need for them to exist.

The proper course of action with a missing travel bug is to contact the owner and tell them they should mark it as missing. That way if it does in fact resurface and it logged, it will naturally go back on its travels with proper mileage and a proper record of its travels. If it is lost in a stolen or destroyed cache, then the travel bug dies a natural death so to speak.

I think most of can determine the difference between a missing TB and a TB that has gone to it's total demise.

And as such, I personally think it's MY decision as to where my TB should lay.

Moderator intervention seems heavy handed. :ph34r:

Maybe they had nothing else to do on a quiet weekend.

I think some people just like to suck the joy out of things.

No, they're not necessary but they are a bit of fun.

The proper course of action with a missing travel bug is to contact the owner and tell them they should mark it as missing. That way if it does in fact resurface and it logged, it will naturally go back on its travels with proper mileage and a proper record of its travels.

That is not stricty true since they often disappear from one cache and miraculously appear in another with no record of how they got there.

I support Groundspeak on this one. Travel bug Graveyards had their use at one time, but now they just serve to confuse matters. Perhaps more importantly, they fool people into thinking that it's the way to mark a travel bug missing, when there's a proper way to do it.

Perhaps the modern method could be made more "fun", but I don't see it as an issue. Also, possibly it would have been nicer to ask the cache owners to archive them, but again I don't see why it's a big deal. It's only a game, and these are virtual caches anyway.

The very same reviewer archived one of our caches. It was The UK Retirement Home. He done it without even contacting us first. Shame this game is taken by some so seriously, after all it is still a game.

I had a TB in that one, and I was sorry to see the cache go. I understand GC's reasoning, but I still think it's a shame.

The very same reviewer archived one of our caches. It was The UK Retirement Home. He done it without even contacting us first. Shame this game is taken by some so seriously, after all it is still a game.

I asked Brad about the "not contacted" bit actually. He said that he is sending emails right before he archives them. Perhaps you should check your email again, or check spam filters.

I asked Brad about the "not contacted" bit actually. He said that he is sending emails right before he archives them. Perhaps you should check your email again, or check spam filters.

Actually I sent an email to the cache owner before closing the cache When the cache owner contacted me I asked if he would like for me to forward a copy of the message, and in response to his request, I forwarded a copy of the message on January 17. I am hopeful that either the original message or the copy or both have been received.

Actually I sent an email to the cache owner before closing the cache When the cache owner contacted me I asked if he would like for me to forward a copy of the message, and in response to his request, I forwarded a copy of the message on January 17. I am hopeful that either the original message or the copy or both have been received.

Without knowing the facts this LOOKS like a miscommunication problem. I wonder whether this sort of thing might be better handled by a local reviewer, of whom we have several nowadays.

Didn't local reviewers tend to deal with local caches in the past?

I had checked my emails, I used to be, before I retired an IT Information Analyst within the MoD so I think I know when I have not received emails. I contacted the reviewer who also said that the email was sent prior to archiving. I asked him to send it again and received it almost instantaneously. It is not the fact that they archived the caches, it is just the way they went about it! There end of my rant!