Garmin Oregon 550 need topos?

eric_lackey

I use Ibycus for the States. No topo yet, but it has very detailed street info!

http://www.ibycus.com/ibycususa/

I just loaded up 3gigs worth of streets for the ENTIRE U.S., including Hawaii and Alaska and even - hmmm I really don't know what that place is - FOR FREE - just because I can. :-)

Somebody donate to the Ibycus guy cause his maps are awesome!

Oh yeah ~ also check out: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/

I am new to geocaching and am looking into purchasing the oregon 550 but am wondering whether I can geocache with the base maps provided or whether I need to purchase the Canada topo's to make it work.

eric, if you are new to geo cacheing, before you buy the oregon 550, check first all of the good and bad about this unit. I just purchased this unit last month, prior I have two 60csx's which I like very much. About the oregon I like it in lots of respects, howevr it has a major falut with me. When you load your pocket quarry, it goes into your unit as caches no waypoints. This is what I don't like when I go to load the caches onto a map it is placed only in basecamp, and when it installs them on the map it goes by the number of the cache, not it's name. I have talked to both tech support and the software personal, which have been very helpful, but they do say that you can not enter the caches into the unit as waypoints, which has to be done to be able to place the cache onto the map source map.I hope this halps you, and if anyone else reads this and has a way to place these caches into the unit as waypoint please advise

eric, if you are new to geo cacheing, before you buy the oregon 550, check first all of the good and bad about this unit. I just purchased this unit last month, prior I have two 60csx's which I like very much. About the oregon I like it in lots of respects, howevr it has a major falut with me. When you load your pocket quarry, it goes into your unit as caches no waypoints. This is what I don't like when I go to load the caches onto a map it is placed only in basecamp, and when it installs them on the map it goes by the number of the cache, not it's name. I have talked to both tech support and the software personal, which have been very helpful, but they do say that you can not enter the caches into the unit as waypoints, which has to be done to be able to place the cache onto the map source map.I hope this halps you, and if anyone else reads this and has a way to place these caches into the unit as waypoint please advise

sleth2054, how do you load your caches into your Oregon 550? If you use GSAK you can have them loaded using the name, not the number. Also, if I read your message properly, the free maps cover the geocaches, but not a waypoint. If that is so, try loading as Custom POIs. You will still get all the cache info for paperless caching. Only down side there is you can't use the geocache functions (marking found). Look for the Garmin POI loader for loading as custom POIs. GSAK has a great macro for loading Custom POIs by types and sizes.

If you get a zipped pocket query from GC.com, it comes with 2 files, one for the geocaches and one for the waypoints for the geocaches, if you need them. Personally, I find the waypoints to be redundant and do not load them as I can get the Oregon 550 to do what I need from the Geocaching function. Just out of curiosity, what do you need the waypoints for with regards to the geocaching?

EDIT: sorry, I now see the question... You're dealing with getting the WP's into mapsource. The PQ WP file may still be of use. Have you tried that?

Edited by rising.sun